TEW2020 Product Suggestion Thread

As highlighted in entry #30 from the journal, this thread is for you to suggest the Products that you'd like to see in TEW2020. Quoted below are the 49 existing products.

Please make sure to understand that the following things are NOT controlled by the product type: whether it involved women's wrestling, whether there are faces and heels, whether there is a heavyweight / junior weight split, and the AI booking style. To be clear, the latter controls what sort of match types the AI will use, for example whether it will be make heavy use of trios matches (like a lucha-based company).

This means that you should not, for example, suggest "Women's Sports Entertainment" as a product. That would just be the existing "Sports Entertainment" product with women's wrestling enabled.

The opening 49 products are:

Absurdist Entertainment - The logical end point of Sports Entertainment, the emphasis is almost entirely on big characters, angles, and skits; the actual matches are almost entirely irrelevant.

Anti-Establishment Hardcore - A mildly toned down form of Extreme Hardcore, this style still involves a punkish anti-establishment attitude and cult-like mentality but has a more varied in-ring approach that isn't so narrowly obsessed with bloody brawls.

Attitude Entertainment - Effectively a late 1990's version of Sports Entertainment, it adds a grittier feel and more realistic content. It's mostly aimed at a 18-35 demographic.

Bar Room Entertainment - Designed to appeal to an adult audience primarily in bar rooms, matches tend to either be full-on comedy or hardcore but the emphasis is on big characters and entertaining angles.

Campy Fun - The most cringeworthy of styles for most wrestling fans, this is professional wrestling taken to the point of almost being a pantomime. Characters are big, bold, and completely unsubtle and matches are basic in the extreme.

Classic Balanced - In essence the perfect midpoint of all products, this places in-ring match quality as having equal importance with the entertainment aspect of playing to the crowd. By its nature it's quite loosely-defined and means that there's a lot of freedom in how the company presents itself.

Classic Lucha Libre - Colourful characters compete in a family friendly atmosphere. There's an emphasis on quality, athletic matches. While angles and storylines are a part of the show, the focus is on the in-ring action.

Classic Mainstream Puro - This is where a Japanese style has some western influence; match quality is crucial and the wrestling is treated with respect, but there are flourishes of showmansip and larger than life characters can happily exist here.

Classic Southern Rasslin - The 'rasslin' that is closely associated with the 1970s and 1980s in the southern US, this is professional wrestling treated as being real but with larger-than-life characters and storylines.

Classic Sports Entertainment - This is the typical western style of having larger-than-life characters battle it out with soap opera storylines and angles. Connection with the crowd is far more important than in-ring skill, although great matches are still appreciated. This style appeals to a large and varied demographic.

Classic Wild West - This is the sort of wrestling that was very popular in Texas in the 1980s, matches are hard fought and often bloody but there is also showmanship and killer angles.

Comic Book Lucha Libre - Taking the lucha libre traditions and adding in the mythos and visual language of comic books, this style is all about big dramatic rivalries played out in in-ring battles.

Deathmatch - Shows are all about gory matches and spectacle. In-ring skill is pretty unimportant, it's more about a willingness to bleed and do stupid stunts.

Episodic Entertainment - Designed to be attractive for binge-watching TV viewers, strong characters and storylines are just as important as the matches. The whole thing has a sports entertainment vibe to it.

Episodic Hardcore - Designed to be attractive for binge-watching TV viewers, strong characters and storylines are combined with hardcore style matches.

Episodic Lucha Libre - Designed to be attractive for binge-watching TV viewers, strong characters and storylines are just as important as the lucha libre influenced matches.

Episodic Sport - Designed to be attractive for binge-watching TV viewers, the wrestling is treated as a proper sport but realistic angles and ongoing storylines make sure there's an ongoing 'hook' to keep the viewer interested.

Extreme Hardcore - Hardcore wrestling with an emphasis on shock and awe. It is mostly about brawling, although other styles can thrive if they're good enough. This product tends to attract a very rabid fan base.

Family Friendly Pro Wrestling - Western pro wrestling stripped down, this is all about larger-than-life colourful characters battling it out in simple matches with interviews and easy-to-follow angles used to add to the drama.

Fast And Furious - Generally associated with smaller wrestler, this is a fairly serious style all about match quality. Bouts are generally fast-paced and full of cutting edge moves, incorporating high flying, technical wrestling, and hard strikes. Character work takes a back seat to match quality.

Faux MMA - A 'worked shoot' environment, matches are presented as serious competitive MMA-style bouts but with some pro-wrestling flourishes in the presentation.

Golden Age Pro Wrestling - This is the style from the 1970s before Sports Entertainment became the dominant style in the west. The wrestling is treated very seriously as a legit competition, but the first elements of true showmanship and entertainment are starting to creep in.

Gory Hardcore - Pitched somewhere between Deathmatch and Extreme Hardcore, this is all about ultra-bloody matches and sick spectacle. Angles are used to build up the characters and break up the gore.

Guerrilla Warfare - This style focuses on fast-paced, moves-heavy, high quality matches but adds in a big dose of humour and allows workers to show their characters more.

Hardcore Lucha Libre - This takes the classic elements of lucha libre but gives them a hardcore makeover. Expect fast-paced matches mixed with bloodshed.

High Flying Hardcore - This style brings together the jaw-dropping spectacle of high-flying wrestling action with the attiude, weapons, and bloodshed of a hardcore company.

Hokey Southern Rasslin - This is the southern American 'rasslin' where hokey OTT characters somehow rub shoulders with wild angles and blood feuds.

Hoss-Deathmatch Combined - Effectively two products within one, this has hard-hitting 'hosses' duking it out and also bloody death matches. The two can either be intermixed or presented as two completely separate divisions within one company.

Junior-Deathmatch Combined - Effectively two products within one, this has fast-paced junior heavyweight style bouts and also bloody death matches. The two can either be intermixed or presented as two completely separate divisions within one company.

Lighthearted Entertainment - One step removed from the Sports Entertainment model, the actual wrestling portion of the show is less important and is often treated with a tongue-in-cheek humour.

LuchaResu - A potent mix of lucha libre and puroresu, this mixes the high speed athletics and technical skills of the former with the hard-hitting and submission base of the latter. It's nirvana for wrestling nerds who love workrate, although the colourful characters make it surprisingly accessible to others.

Lucharesu Entertainment - This takes the concept of LuchaResu - a blend of lucha libre and puroresu - but adds in a third element, that of highly theatrical sports entertainment, to make it far less serious.

Monster Battle - Part wrestling, part theatre, this style involves wrestlers in costume, usually as monsters or crazy characters, engaging in super over-the-top matches with a very tongue in cheek, comedic feel. It's not one for the purists.

Performance Art - Only loosely defined as pro wrestling, this is a very theatrical concept where it's a mix of acting, dance, and the dramatic arts. The matches themselves are a complete afterthought.

PG Rated Sports Entertainment - This is the traditional western Sports Entertainment but done with an eye toward a younger audience. It's dumbed down and sanitised, but as a result has a fairly wide appeal and is very sponsor-friendly.

Pseudo Sport - A peculiarly British affair, wrestling is treated as a serious sport and is the main focus of the company, but there are also larger-than-life characters and showmanship.

Puerto Rican Hardcore - A style closely associated with the Caribbean, matches are often bloody, characters are big, and it tends to attract a rabid crowd.

Respectful Wrestling - A western slant on Japanese wrestling, wrestling is treated very seriously with an emphasis on high quality matches, but some angles are used to build rivalries.

Risque Adult - Meant for female-oriented companies, this is a product which is effectively only one step up from a strip show. Stereotyped characters 'battle' it out in matches that are little more than cat-fights, pillow fights, or extended skits.

Scripted Reality - Essentially a reality TV show that happens to involve some wrestling, this is all about the characters and storylines; the matches are basically an afterthought.

Shoot-Style Wrestling - Not quite full on Faux MMA, this is where a serious professional wrestling style is infused with elements of MMA. It's treated very seriously, but is still closer to pro wrestling than MMA.

Silver Age Pro Wrestling - A bridge between Golden Age Pro Wrestling and the more modern era, wrestling is still treated seriously but the entertainment aspect is taking hold and pure technical wrestling is starting to be phased out.

Skit Based - Based around short skits like a comedy sketch show, the wrestling influence is that the characters tend to be larger-than-life and there are matches, albeit ones which are heavily comedic or used to tell stories.

Stoner Entertainment - Sports entertainment with a tongue-in-cheek slant, nothing is taken too seriously. The angles, storylines and characters are the focus, with match quality being a lesser concern.

Stoner Hardcore - This is hardcore wrestling but with as much focus on the characters and humour as on the wild matches, blood, and stunts.

Telenovela - A completely OTT soap opera that happens to feature wrestling, the emphasis is on larger-than-life characters and dramatic angles. The actual wrestling is, at best, secondary, and is lucha libre influenced.

Wrestling As A Sport - The stereotypical eastern style, this is where wrestling is treated as a legitimate sport. Fans want to see good quality matches with none of the hoopla that is associated with the western styles.

Wrestling Nerd Nirvana - Designed to appeal to the 18-30 wrestling nerd demographic, this is all about things that will play well to a 'smart' Internet audience: good match quality, entertaining characters, hot angles, and all done with a sense of humour.

Wrestling Soap Opera - Effectively using wrestling merely as a backdrop for soap opera style feuds, this product is all about the dramatic rivalries and OTT angles. A lot of the drama plays out in the ring too, although the match quality is not a priority.

Grindhouse Lucha - Even more over the top than normal, this unique form of lucha libre exists in it's own universe where any and everything can happen. More akin to a karate or action movie than a sport. Significantly darker and edgier than the typical comic book fare, with storylines inspired by the grindhouse film genre. Workrate still has significance but matches tend to be relatively short, with emphasis on a fast pace and occasional intense violence.

In other words, the Lucha Underground product. Telenovela might be intended to fulfill that but I'd like for a product to go a little deeper into what it's about, since most soap operas don't include people ripping out still-beating hearts and eating faces.

- May have missed it, but would Lucha-Deathmatch combined be an option separate to Hardcore Lucha (to simulate ATD in the Thunderverse)

- Also wonder if Skit based needs separate options for adult orientated humour - which would include risque/cult elements, and family-friendly humour?

I'm sure this won't make it but I'll still suggest it.

Reality TV Show. Has no wrestling whatsoever and is entirely consisted of angles. May have comedy but no wrestling related elements.

In a multiplayer game, we had a TV sci fi show with wrestlers and the matches were the fights and arguments. It was pretty fun.

Damn, just read through all the products and it seems this already made it in. Pretty cool for a few people like me.

I just wish we could have specific products for different TV shows instead of a blanket product for the entire company.

Deathmatch Adult - No skill required, just a willingness to bleed in skimpy clothes.

Hardcore Adult - No skill required, maybe not even any matches, just barely escapes being classed a strip club because... there are ropes?

Strict MMA/Amateur - No flourishes, all real, at least that's the way it's presented. Whether in a cage or on a mat, this is as real as pro wrestling gets.

Hoss Fight - All brawling, all the time. Big fighters, big hits, not much in the way of finesse or complicated storylines. Blood possible, but not a focal point of the product.

Also, I can't wait to play a Performance Art product...

True (fantasy) wrestling - I dunno if this would be viable with the nature of the game, but I'd love to simulate a game world (perhaps in an alternate universe) where pro wrestling was actually real. The company owner cannot decide who wins, because the wrestlers themselves will determine the outcome based on their in-ring performance. You would not be able to allocate a set time for each match, but you'd have a time limit before the match ends in a draw.

I know this is not likely to become an option and would probably require a lot of extra work, but that would be my dream version of the game.

True (fantasy) wrestling - I dunno if this would be viable with the nature of the game, but I'd love to simulate a game world (perhaps in an alternate universe) where pro wrestling was actually real. The company owner cannot decide who wins, because the wrestlers themselves will determine the outcome based on their in-ring performance. You would not be able to allocate a set time for each match, but you'd have a time limit before the match ends in a draw.

I know this is not likely to become an option and would probably require a lot of extra work, but that would be my dream version of the game.

You can kind of already do this. Don't select a winner when you book a match, and if you select a time limit match (say 15 minutes) it will keep in that timeframe. I got nothing about how to simulate the matches are real though.

Backyard Wrestling - The idea of people playing "Pro Wrestler" mostly for people that aren't fully trained wrestlers, More interested in Hardcore, crazy spots. And no real wrestling involved

Student Pro & Amateur Pro Wrestling - Very similar to the "Backyard Wrestling" this one is more done and seen in Japan, of University students and fans pro wrestling doing their own events, the only differences is they are more safe with it all. Rarely doing anything of danger.

Grunge Risque - Very sleeze, dirty, gritty Adult entertainment, the sort that'd you see in the nightclub. Very focused on gimmicks with Risque/Sex Appeal with wrestling being used as a Backdrop.

Underground Wrestling - "One rule of Underground Wrestling, no one talks of Underground Wrestling" mostly doing shows in basements or other grungy places, more focused on having a cult following. Very interested in doing Hardcore, deathmatch wrestling, with the idea of they can do what they want, and not interested in a TV Deal.

----

Hoping these will gain some interests. Hopefully I've explained them well, let me know if I haven't.

No idea on the viability of this but it would be quite insane

I'm bad with being creative with catchy names, but I'm not sure I found modern WWE represented there. I'm not one for modern day save files, but many are. The PG sports entertainment is obviously the closest, but I feel like emphasis on match quality has increased in the past five or so years. It's still PG sports entertainment, but the fanbase has really started to demand the indy style "good match" content. In my eyes, to the point where angles and matches are almost 50/50. Maybe 60/40 in favour of angles. Of course, I may be misunderstanding, having not played the game.

Backyard Wrestling - The idea of people playing "Pro Wrestler" mostly for people that aren't fully trained wrestlers, More interested in Hardcore, crazy spots. And no real wrestling involved

In addition to this:

Modern Outlaw - The idea of people playing "Pro Wrestler" mostly for people that aren't fully trained wrestlers. More interested in grappling, moves, and ring psychology (but with minor bits of hardcore and nutty highspots thrown in).

I'm bad with being creative with catchy names, but I'm not sure I found modern WWE represented there. I'm not one for modern day save files, but many are. The PG sports entertainment is obviously the closest, but I feel like emphasis on match quality has increased in the past five or so years. It's still PG sports entertainment, but the fanbase has really started to demand the indy style "good match" content. In my eyes, to the point where angles and matches are almost 50/50. Maybe 60/40 in favour of angles. Of course, I may be misunderstanding, having not played the game.

It's basically the case of WWE losing its touch with the fans. What the WWE wants their Raw & SmackDown product to be and what the fans are looking for are two very different things. WWE still books as "PG Sports Entertainment", but in actuality ratings and show quality are falling, because fans aren't buying that anymore.

It's an important destinction most mods don't keep in mind. "Product" sets what kind of fanbase the company will have, not how it is actually booked by a Booker with a "Sports Entertainment" and "Look" bias. WWE's product is there, Classic Sports Entertainment, if you keep the falling fanbase in mind

I actually kinda think sticking with the same product kinda works to depict things, because basically they have a lot of modern day super talented workrate folks having really good matches but rarely ever getting over and that's... mostly because the booking is terrible but also partly because they always conditioned their fans to think of the wrestling as secondary.

They trained them over decades to expect big stars and moments, popping for entrances and finishes. Thus they aren't people who will get into good matches just because they're good matches. They aren't like a lot of old Nitro crowds for example, that could at times get into a good lengthy match between nobodies.

So as far as depicting that accurately in TEW goes, it'd be fair enough to have it as a Sports Entertainment company that regularly puts on long matches between talented but not particularly over workers. That would certainly not be the strategy one would use in that type of game so it makes sense that it fails in real life as well.

By contrast, I suppose NXT is basically LuchaResu...

Hardcore Evolved - This product takes a lot from Anti Establishment Hardcore, but tones down the blood and sex, removing most of the more immature aspects so as to take itself more seriously. It also plays itself more workrate oriented with diverse styles. Nonetheless it takes on a cult-like air and isn't afraid to be violent or controversial, priding itself on being an edgy alternative.

This is an attempt to be a close approximation of what Impact Wrestling currently is. Very much an updated ECW vibe.

WWE is so weird. I look at 205 live guys killing themselves and getting crickets, so while the fans might accept more work rate on top they sure don't appreciate it on the bottom. Not without a push. Except for NXT which has a totally different fanbase. in the venue if not on TV.

I'm not totally sure if doing this product is even possible in TEW, it might need some engine reworking to be viable and doing that for a single product doesn't seem worth it. But I like the idea and there's no harm in putting it out there...

Memetic Wrestling - Something of a satirical self-parody promotion aimed at a base that appreciates ironic humor. It's got an equal measure of promos, skits and matches. Angles and storylines are tongue-in-cheek and good comedy is rewarded. However a key feature is that the audience has a special appreciation for genuinely poor workers or cringey promos. A bad wrestler would legit be better received than a good one.

Aside from that, this one seems a bit of an essential...

Sports Entertainment Xtreme - This takes the Attitude Entertainment core and amps it to absurdity. It's a shamelessly racy product, with as much sex and mature content as their distributor would allow, and regularly shatters the fourth wall rather than just lean on it. Most matches and in fact most angles are very short, but there are always tons of each on a given show. A worker's qualities are not factored into their booking whatsoever.

Bro. Need to get that Russo flavor goin', bro. Stoner or Absurdist could maybe work in a pinch, but neither seem to get across how rique or ridiculous the philosophy is. I also know that it might be something better tailored to an actual booker but... theoretically it has to be done for some kind of audience, right?

I suppose for early TNA, you could use a similar parallel that I gave to WWE, where the promotion itself would have an indy-riffic product to build a fanbase around, but then it would be booked like the above to constantly alienate that base.

Higher Calling: Wrestling shows that have a religious theme to them. Wrestling skills take a backseat as wrestling matches just happen to be part of the show as the purpose is to preach a religious message to the audience. Angles are usually skits of basic good -vs- evil, as well as workers giving their testimony. A particularly bad owner can really hurt the image of a company with this product type.

The wording is purposely generic as this can apply to any and all religions. Though I completely understand if this product suggestion has to be declined so as not to ruffle feathers.

Activism Mania: The owner of this company and its workers are out to make a difference in the community with their shows by spreading the word of whichever cause they want to promote. Wrestling skills take a backseat as the matches just happen to be part of the show. The angles typically are workers spreading a message of whatever the company believes in. Negative news stories involving the owner and/or workers for a company with this product can really hurt the company's image.

Again, wording is kept generic as this could be activism for just about any cause you can think of, and can come from either side of the aisle. Again, understand if this product type has to be declined so as not to ruffle any feathers.