The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

There are a few childhood reads that I think could make great movies, and the current world climate would make them somewhat topical, but I'd rather they remain wishful thinking. It would be great to see something from my childhood up on the big screen, but I know it would get butchered and bear no resemblance to the source material, so I'd prefer the memories remain untarnished by Hollywood bastardizing them.

There are a few childhood reads that I think could make great movies, and the current world climate would make them somewhat topical, but I'd rather they remain wishful thinking. It would be great to see something from my childhood up on the big screen, but I know it would get butchered and bear no resemblance to the source material, so I'd prefer the memories remain untarnished by Hollywood bastardizing them.

I feel you. Part two is gonna be 80's cartoons, I've gone with Voltron and Centurions. I'd love to see both on the big screen, but I fear what Hollywood would do to them. Voltron is apparently already a go... :(

I just saw Scream 4, it was all right not on the level of the first one but right on par with the third one (which I thought was the worst of the originals). I pegged the killer pretty much from the start of the movie.

Speaking of Wes Craven movies, I always found it odd growing up that Nightmare on Elm Street, Nightmare on Elm Street III, and Wes Craven's New Nightmare were my three favorites out of that franchise. Well a couple of years ago I found out why because those were the only three in the franchise that were actually written by Wes Craven. The rest of the all kind of sucked. Well I did enjoy Freddy vs. Jason and the remake so I can't say they all scuked.

I just saw Scream 4, it was all right not on the level of the first one but right on par with the third one (which I thought was the worst of the originals). I pegged the killer pretty much from the start of the movie.

Speaking of Wes Craven movies, I always found it odd growing up that Nightmare on Elm Street, Nightmare on Elm Street III, and Wes Craven's New Nightmare were my three favorites out of that franchise. Well a couple of years ago I found out why because those were the only three in the franchise that were actually written by Wes Craven. The rest of the all kind of sucked. Well I did enjoy Freddy vs. Jason and the remake so I can't say they all scuked.

Dream Warriors was always my favorite of the Nightmare movies, even more than 1 (although that one rocked some socks of course).

goose bumps.

In two weeks Summer blockbusters pretty much kick off. We get Fast 5 4-29-11,

Thor 5-6-2011

Priest 5-13-11 (not as big, but I am excited)

Pirates 4 5-20-11,

Hangover Part 2, Kung Fu Panda 2 5-26-11

X-Men 6-3-2011

Super 8 6-10-11

Green Lantern 6-17-10

Transformers 7-1-11

Harry Potter 8 7-15-11

Captain America 7-22-11

Cowboys and Aliens 7-29-11 (honestly the one I am looking forward to the most. Most of these have the high budget and big fan base, but I love Jon as a director)

Smurfs 8-3-11 (hey I watched them as a kid and I have a kid and niece who want to see them)

Rise of the Apes 8-5-11 (please be better then the last one)

Conan the Barbarian 8-19-11

Moneyball 9-23-11

There are a bunch more to. Rum Diary comes out this year which as Depp in it and I have been waiting for that for a couple of years now. Of course Paranormal Activity 3 comes out. ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest :eek: . Halloween 3, I am excited because Rob Zombie really (to me) gave Meyers depth other than I kill. Puss in Boots, what I thought the last three sherk's sucked, but I loved Puss in Boots. 11-11-11 okay I bought into the promo's. Twlight :D I am more happy because then one more and we can get out of the kiss and hug vampires and get back to the Robert Downey Jr. version of lestat :eek: . Sherlock Holmes 2 YES!!! Mission impossible 4 comes out to close out the year along with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (read the book it is worth it)

Overall this looks to be a great year for movies :D

Here is a link for people who want to see what is coming out.

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/2011

You liked Rob Zombie's Halloween 2? I thought it was pure and utter crap. He did a great job with the first movie remake however, like I said his version of Halloween 2=Crap.:D

I have high hopes for Rise of the Apes. Like you said the last remake sucked, so I hope this one is more like the 1970's version. Funny thing is they were playing Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (which this new movie was based on) on HBO last week and I was thinking how awesome this would be if they made a newer version of that film.

As far as Transformers go, those movies should just stop being made. They are so bad, my childhood dies each time they make a new Transformers movie.:D

You liked Rob Zombie's Halloween 2? I thought it was pure and utter crap. He did a great job with the first movie remake however, like I said his version of Halloween 2=Crap.:D

I have high hopes for Rise of the Apes. Like you said the last remake sucked, so I hope this one is more like the 1970's version. Funny thing is they were playing Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (which this new movie was based on) on HBO last week and I was thinking how awesome this would be if they made a newer version of that film.

As far as Transformers go, those movies should just stop being made. They are so bad, my childhood dies each time they make a new Transformers movie.:D

I'm one of those people who just like movies. I see where they are bad and stuff, but I just love movies. It takes you away from life and puts you in a fantasy world even if for 2 hours. I just finished watching Battle for L.A. and damn that was a good movie.

I hated the remakes of Halloween with a passion as they go to show Zombie has no idea to do suspense or horror movies for that matter. I thought the background was just weak and if anything turned one of the most stone cold killers in movie history into nothing more then a big dumb kid with a bad childhood. Also if you are going to try and add depth why turn him into nothing more then a Jason clone. Plus how the hell did he get so muscular? All he ever did was make masks. It was better when he was just a kind of tall guy. The only way Halloween could have been a good movie would have been if Joe Grizzly would have killed MM and the movie would have turned into a picture about a bad ass trucker.

Though to be fair I hate Rob Zombie movies other then the Devils Rejects as I don't think he knows how to make horror movies (Devil Rejects is not a horror movie).

goose bumps.

In two weeks Summer blockbusters pretty much kick off. We get Fast 5 4-29-11,

Thor 5-6-2011

Priest 5-13-11 (not as big, but I am excited)

Pirates 4 5-20-11,

Hangover Part 2, Kung Fu Panda 2 5-26-11

X-Men 6-3-2011

Super 8 6-10-11

Green Lantern 6-17-10

Transformers 7-1-11

Harry Potter 8 7-15-11

Captain America 7-22-11

Cowboys and Aliens 7-29-11 (honestly the one I am looking forward to the most. Most of these have the high budget and big fan base, but I love Jon as a director)

Smurfs 8-3-11 (hey I watched them as a kid and I have a kid and niece who want to see them)

Rise of the Apes 8-5-11 (please be better then the last one)

Conan the Barbarian 8-19-11

Moneyball 9-23-11

There are a bunch more to. Rum Diary comes out this year which as Depp in it and I have been waiting for that for a couple of years now. Of course Paranormal Activity 3 comes out. ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest :eek: . Halloween 3, I am excited because Rob Zombie really (to me) gave Meyers depth other than I kill. Puss in Boots, what I thought the last three sherk's sucked, but I loved Puss in Boots. 11-11-11 okay I bought into the promo's. Twlight :D I am more happy because then one more and we can get out of the kiss and hug vampires and get back to the Robert Downey Jr. version of lestat :eek: . Sherlock Holmes 2 YES!!! Mission impossible 4 comes out to close out the year along with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (read the book it is worth it)

Overall this looks to be a great year for movies :D

Here is a link for people who want to see what is coming out.

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/2011

Man that list looks discouraging to me, I hate to be one of those guys but ick. Sequels and big budget CGI movies always disappoint me or flat out make me wonder what is wrong with the world. I have high hopes for Rum Diary, read the book and while I am a little over Depp I am sure he will bring the goods for this one. I hope The Hangover 2 is decent but ... yeah, sequels are generally not so good and in a shock-based comedy film I am worried it will lack the same impact the first one had.

I'm one of those people who just like movies. I see where they are bad and stuff, but I just love movies. It takes you away from life and puts you in a fantasy world even if for 2 hours. I just finished watching Battle for L.A. and damn that was a good movie.

True and I am the same way, I love movies (Hell I Minored in Film, not that it was a wise choice to do so.) but crap is crap. When I see bad movies like Sucker Punch (Which was really bad, and all the hot chicks in the world running around in mini-skirts could do nothing to save it.) or the various new Transformers movies, I get angry. Angry at the writes that wrote that crap, angry at the studio for green lighting that crap, and most of all angry at myself for paying ten dollars for the chance to watch that crap.:D

And yes I knew going in that Sucker Punch was not going to be some great movie on par with The Godfather. However, I thought it might be better than what it was.

Man that list looks discouraging to me, I hate to be one of those guys but ick. Sequels and big budget CGI movies always disappoint me or flat out make me wonder what is wrong with the world. I have high hopes for Rum Diary, read the book and while I am a little over Depp I am sure he will bring the goods for this one. I hope The Hangover 2 is decent but ... yeah, sequels are generally not so good and in a shock-based comedy film I am worried it will lack the same impact the first one had.

There are many other indy films and lesser plugged films that look to steal the Oscar in 2012 (which I can't think of at the moment, but would be glad to discuss). People forget that even though the blockbusters are cool and profitable doesn't necessarily mean their candidates for Best Film.

Having said that, I do look forward to a lot of different movies and not just some of the summer blockbusters.

• Super 8 looks like it can be a great film to show darker elements that Speilberg might not have been able to pull off in ET.
  • Cowboys and Aliens looks great especially with Favreau directing it.
  • Immortals, coming out in November, looks awesome. Just look at the pic of Rourke, it made me mark out that something can be WAY better than Clash of the Titans remake (even though I'm quite a fan of Sam Worthington).
  • The Thing looks like it could be an excellent prequel to the John Carpenter remake in the 80s. Four years in development must mean something cool.
  • Warrior looks badass with Tom Hardy finally getting the spotlight he deserves! This movie could even top The Fighter which might be hard to do.
  • The Debt looks interesting with a mix of veteran (Helen Mirren) and rookie (Jessica Chastain-who plays a younger Mirren) screen stars. This pick may or may not have anything to do with my fanboyism of Sam Worthington ;)
  • Captain America looks like it could finally give Marvel a run for their money since DC has been weak in the movie-making business compared to Marvel. (Besides Green Lantern of course) I love the Cap and think Chris Evans is good casting for him especially since I heard he really wanted the part.

I could probably go on and on but I'll just stop there. Honestly, the movie I'm looking forward to the must in the future is Terminator 5. I know a lot of people bash the crap out of the Terminator: Salvation but I thought that was an awesome movie especially with some of the minor details, like how Connor gets the scar on his face, and with the new terminators.

You could say they could make the crappiest Terminator movie ever for the next one but I'll love it anyways because I'm such a geek for it. Still haven't even gotten around to finding the rare comic books for Terminator but yeah....

That's all I gotta to say...

[*]Captain America looks like it could finally give Marvel a run for their money since DC has been weak in the movie-making business compared to Marvel. (Besides Green Lantern of course) I love the Cap and think Chris Evans is good casting for him especially since I heard he really wanted the part.

Captain America does indeed look good, however, Cap. is a marvel property not DC. So if it does indeed turn out to be something worthwhile, DC will still be behind Marvel.

I think Thor looks like it could be pretty good as well, not so sure about Green Lantern though unfortunately.

True and I am the same way, I love movies (Hell I Minored in Film, not that it was a wise choice to do so.) but crap is crap. When I see bad movies like Sucker Punch (Which was really bad, and all the hot chicks in the world running around in mini-skirts could do nothing to save it.) or the various new Transformers movies, I get angry. Angry at the writes that wrote that crap, angry at the studio for green lighting that crap, and most of all angry at myself for paying ten dollars for the chance to watch that crap.:D

And yes I knew going in that Sucker Punch was not going to be some great movie on par with The Godfather. However, I thought it might be better than what it was.

Movie studios only care if the movie flops. Transformers hasn't so I doubt they care :p .

But I also think that's a huge problem with video game and toy game movies. If the writer wasn't a fan of the stuff before, how in the blue hell is he going to write a script that will catch the attention of the fans who want to see it. My favorite thing is I don't think Michael Bay is that bad of a director. Many people bash him and say he sucks and all he wants is explosions..... Well DUH! that's his M.O. J.J Abrams is suspense, Nolan is a mind bender, Scorsese is drama/old style, Spielberg is alien's.

Bay hasn't always been about explosions, but the bad acting and horrible script for Transformers wasn't his fault. You can only do so much with what you have.

There are many other indy films and lesser plugged films that look to steal the Oscar in 2012 (which I can't think of at the moment, but would be glad to discuss). People forget that even though the blockbusters are cool and profitable doesn't necessarily mean their candidates for Best Film.

Having said that, I do look forward to a lot of different movies and not just some of the summer blockbusters.

• Super 8 looks like it can be a great film to show darker elements that Speilberg might not have been able to pull off in ET.
  • Cowboys and Aliens looks great especially with Favreau directing it.
  • Immortals, coming out in November, looks awesome. Just look at the pic of Rourke, it made me mark out that something can be WAY better than Clash of the Titans remake (even though I'm quite a fan of Sam Worthington).
  • The Thing looks like it could be an excellent prequel to the John Carpenter remake in the 80s. Four years in development must mean something cool.
  • Warrior looks badass with Tom Hardy finally getting the spotlight he deserves! This movie could even top The Fighter which might be hard to do.
  • The Debt looks interesting with a mix of veteran (Helen Mirren) and rookie (Jessica Chastain-who plays a younger Mirren) screen stars. This pick may or may not have anything to do with my fanboyism of Sam Worthington ;)
  • Captain America looks like it could finally give Marvel a run for their money since DC has been weak in the movie-making business compared to Marvel. (Besides Green Lantern of course) I love the Cap and think Chris Evans is good casting for him especially since I heard he really wanted the part.

I could probably go on and on but I'll just stop there. Honestly, the movie I'm looking forward to the must in the future is Terminator 5. I know a lot of people bash the crap out of the Terminator: Salvation but I thought that was an awesome movie especially with some of the minor details, like how Connor gets the scar on his face, and with the new terminators.

You could say they could make the crappiest Terminator movie ever for the next one but I'll love it anyways because I'm such a geek for it. Still haven't even gotten around to finding the rare comic books for Terminator but yeah....

That's all I gotta to say...

Not always, sometime it could be because of reshoots or other projects the actors were working on.

Captain America does indeed look good, however, Cap. is a marvel property not DC. So if it does indeed turn out to be something worthwhile, DC will still be behind Marvel.

I think Thor looks like it could be pretty good as well, not so sure about Green Lantern though unfortunately.

My bad, it doesn't take long for me to mix up guys from the DC and Marvel universe. It's like they try to do that on purpose or something.

Not always, sometime it could be because of reshoots or other projects the actors were working on.

Good point, since Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who is smoking hot) did that dumb Scotty vs. The World movie. The only thing that intrigued me was her look in that movie.

Interesting to note too that she's done two other projects that were either directly or indirectly linked to Kurt Russell before filming The Thing. I don't know if it's just coincidence or not but I doubt it, he seems like a guy that likes to help out other actors/actresses.

My bad, it doesn't take long for me to mix up guys from the DC and Marvel universe. It's like they try to do that on purpose or something.

Good point, since Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who is smoking hot) did that dumb Scotty vs. The World movie. The only thing that intrigued me was her look in that movie.

Interesting to note too that she's done two other projects that were either directly or indirectly linked to Kurt Russell before filming The Thing. I don't know if it's just coincidence or not but I doubt it, he seems like a guy that likes to help out other actors/actresses.

YA he does! :p

• 9 months later...

Just watched the "Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" documentary on HBO. WOW. Very powerful and emotional.

I saw the first one when I was a kid, probably like 15ish when it came out. I remember thinking they were guilty at the time, and then not thinking much about it.

Well I watched all 3 films on demand this weekend and needless to say I got a very different impression looking at it with an adult mind. The third one is a wonderful documentary and provides all the needed information pertinent to the film. So you don't NEED to go back and watch the first two films. But I'd reccomend it. Still, all three films total out to about 7 hours and I understand not everyone might be up for that much dark content over that much time.

Ultimately, it's a very interesting case. It's one of those things when you hear about it, you might be indifferent. But if you watch the film (or films) many people become very interested in what went down.

Just watched the "Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" documentary on HBO. WOW. Very powerful and emotional.

I saw the first one when I was a kid, probably like 15ish when it came out. I remember thinking they were guilty at the time, and then not thinking much about it.

Well I watched all 3 films on demand this weekend and needless to say I got a very different impression looking at it with an adult mind. The third one is a wonderful documentary and provides all the needed information pertinent to the film. So you don't NEED to go back and watch the first two films. But I'd reccomend it. Still, all three films total out to about 7 hours and I understand not everyone might be up for that much dark content over that much time.

Ultimately, it's a very interesting case. It's one of those things when you hear about it, you might be indifferent. But if you watch the film (or films) many people become very interested in what went down.

I saw all three films On Demand also. First two didn't convince me of their innocence, but I was 100% convinced that there were buckets of reasonable doubt, and that they deserved a new trial. After the third one, I was much more strongly leaning toward Not Guilty.

I saw the first movie twice, once when it was first aired and the second time a few months ago. Much like you and dvdWarior after seeing the movie I thought they were guilty.

However, I also saw a story about the case on one of those Dateline type shows (It might have even been Dateline). After watching that show I was convinced that it would seem that they were not guilty.

I have been meaning to watch the other two docs on HBO On Demand just keeping on forgetting to do so. Thank you for reminding me, I will make it a point to check them out.

Do so, BHK. I think it's worth it to see all 3 because you see the progression of things. My one complaint is that the movies kinda use some circumstantial evidence to implicate a few individuals thru all three films. I feel like when they did that, they were kind of doing the same thing they fought against.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am on the fence about seeing Episode One in 3D. First off that was the worst Star Wars film by far and away. Also, I have given George Lucas enough of my money over the years he doesn't need my $15 to see his crappy movie in 3D.

With all that being said I probably will see the other five in 3D, heck I have already watched Jedi like 40 times since it first came out. I think the only movie that I have watched more than Jedi was the Godfather Part I.

I know it doesn't hit theaters till Friday, but seen a private screening of safe house we won tickets too this past sunday.

I liked it. I love Denzel, and Ryan Reynolds is great! They had some good chemistry. The storyline had some twists to it, the villain...surprised me.

Some of the camera works was low quality, but all in all ill be getting this on DVD when it comes out.