What grinds your gears?

brashleyholland

Yes my feelings on pride is warped. A lot of my feelings on subjects I've been told is warped.

Someone mentioned earlier about people wanting to raise the minimum wage, I agree... However it still needs to stay congruent to the cost of living. Others people will turn to crime instead on an honest days work.

I make just above minimum wage, and I feel that it's accurate to the difficulty of my actual job. It's easy, not the least bit stressful, I'm good at it. I don't kid myself for one minute thinking it's something more then what it is, a pissant cashier job at a grocery store. I can be replaced with U-Scan machines! There is no self-respect to be found working there! Still you'd be shocked at the 40 year olds, who aren't managers, that act like we're working in the higher levels of a corporate office. Just wanna shake these people and yell "PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FREAKING SORROUNDINGS!"

I suppose that's ultimately what grinds my gears the most, people that lie about themselves so much that they drink their own kool-aid.

See I agree with you. I have spoken to people who work as a server because they have to. Some because they want to.

Either way I think its the right thing to do.

Waiters, waitresses, bartenders, and folks like them all deserve to be tipped.. I don't agree with ANYONE not leaving a tip at all.

If they have to, why am I paying the make up the faults in their life that lead them there? No one cares about anyone elses sob story, fact of life. Least of all people with sob stories that knows that no one cares.

If they want to, then congrats, your working a bad job. Once again not really my problem, your tip isn't entitled it's earned. Instead of putting it on society, do what any other schmucks do and freaking unionize.

I use to be the Jerk who never tipped, then I grew up. Now I feel it's up to me, since I'm paying I'm now your boss. Do adequate job? You'll get your 15%. Go beyond? throw you a few more bucks. Hell I'll even tip a dollar to poor service if it's a place I frequent regularly out of being a regular patron. If it's a place I rarely go? Your poor service isn't getting squat.

...you know what else? When waitress comes by to ask me how everything is, and I have to pause my eating to say "delicious thank you!" obviously I'm mowing down the burger I'm doing okay. If I did have a problem I'd speak up when you came to refill my drink. Yes your trying to be courteous, but I know your only doing it because you care about the tip not because you actually give a damn.

hmmm... I should ask that the next time a waitress asks me that. If I feel she's honest, I'll throw her an extra dollar.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes my feelings on pride is warped. A lot of my feelings on subjects I've been told is warped.

Someone mentioned earlier about people wanting to raise the minimum wage, I agree... However it still needs to stay congruent to the cost of living. Others people will turn to crime instead on an honest days work.

I make just above minimum wage, and I feel that it's accurate to the difficulty of my actual job. It's easy, not the least bit stressful, I'm good at it. I don't kid myself for one minute thinking it's something more then what it is, a pissant cashier job at a grocery store. I can be replaced with U-Scan machines! There is no self-respect to be found working there! Still you'd be shocked at the 40 year olds, who aren't managers, that act like we're working in the higher levels of a corporate office. Just wanna shake these people and yell "PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FREAKING SORROUNDINGS!"

I suppose that's ultimately what grinds my gears the most, people that lie about themselves so much that they drink their own kool-aid.

If they have to, why am I paying the make up the faults in their life that lead them there? No one cares about anyone elses sob story, fact of life. Least of all people with sob stories that knows that no one cares.

If they want to, then congrats, your working a bad job. Once again not really my problem, your tip isn't entitled it's earned. Instead of putting it on society, do what any other schmucks do and freaking unionize.

I use to be the Jerk who never tipped, then I grew up. Now I feel it's up to me, since I'm paying I'm now your boss. Do adequate job? You'll get your 15%. Go beyond? throw you a few more bucks. Hell I'll even tip a dollar to poor service if it's a place I frequent regularly out of being a regular patron. If it's a place I rarely go? Your poor service isn't getting squat.

...you know what else? When waitress comes by to ask me how everything is, and I have to pause my eating to say "delicious thank you!" obviously I'm mowing down the burger I'm doing okay. If I did have a problem I'd speak up when you came to refill my drink. Yes your trying to be courteous, but I know your only doing it because you care about the tip not because you actually give a damn.

hmmm... I should ask that the next time a waitress asks me that. If I feel she's honest, I'll throw her an extra dollar.

I really dislike your statements. Someone who is doing that job doesn't deserve to be insulted like that. I am sure they care weather they get a tip or not, but I am almost certain they are not doing the job JUST for the tip.

If you are working and you get hurt and are reduced to living on say short-term disability. Do you think that the government would say Well I don't give a damn what put him here we shouldn't have to worry about why he is here. Screw him.

I don't know. I teach 5th grade, so most of my students know how to spell by then.

That's cool. It irked me when my niece learned it in first grade. I argued with the teacher about it. Then in second grade she was told No you don't stretch spell. Man me and the principal at school had HUGE fights about that.

Sad to see that the answer for everything is "unionize".

EDIT: What grinds my gears? People who expect the government to solve their problems.

There are so many people doing it that I can't stand it.

I admit I know some of those people have come across hard times and can't help it. 98 percent of them though just don't care.

after reading some of the replies to do the noob / newbie gear grinding thing i mentioned. i decided to do a google search and found out that it was on the list of millions of words the some committee somewhere in the anal cavity of merriam webster votes on each year. I didn't think anything of it and assumed ok well luckily it didn't get in. No that's not the case, i decided to see what words did make it, i figured 1 maybe 2 new words a year, but 17, 950! Listen to some of these gems:

smartphone - not a word its a product for sale, not necessary to have its own definition when the dam thing is on tv ever 15 seconds.EOP, confuscation, terribad, gigundous, astig, textcasm. Those are just some of my favorites from the first two pages. There's 100+ more pages here's the link if anyone wants to check them out: http://www3.merriam-webster.com/opendictionary/newword_display_recent.php?last=0

Its not just noob that they added either here's the list for that:

http://www3.merriam-webster.com/opendictionary/newword_search.php

I can't even keep my gears from grinding long enough to type them out. Back in my day i remember always being told by my english teacher ain't is not a word, its not in the dictionary so don't use it. I'd hate to be an english teacher now a days, with all this crap. Officially adding that word to the english, at least american english language is the straw that broke that camels back to turn a phrase. Anyone know how you move to a new country, legally that is?

So i guess that's another thing that grinds my gears. Stop lowering standards or changing things to fit people's idiocracy. Ebonics, stupid (can't say that here) that people make up on the internet to make up for their inability to type or pure laziness to type out a whole word and i'm sure there's more out there, that's fine but don't impose this crap on others. I'm all for making up or using a made up language/words just don't force others to learn it. A local news story, a cop was almost fired because he printed out an Ebonics to English dictionary for his fellow cops. Most of whom were either new to the force or have never worked in an urban environment. It was titled Know the language, it may save your life. So in an attempt to help his new co-workers he was almost fired? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. A story i seen on the news from the " world headlines " some national committee was deliberating on whether or not to add ebonics, AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE CLASS, WTF?

Edit: I forgot to mention i remember either watching one of those court tv shows or it might have been on the news but a judge threw a dictionary at some guy that was in her court room and told him if its not in there don't use it while in my court room. I almost fell off the couch laughing.

So how much of your life do you have to waste to be considered "hardcore"? :p

Yeah, I guess MMO's and MMO players are on my list of things that grind my gears.

Hardcore (by our guild's definition) is 5-8 hours a day, six days a week. "Life wasting" is highly subjective. How much TV do you watch?

Absolutely. I have literally lost friends to MMORPG's, I just can't get my head around that. They play before and after work, all weekend, days off. One of them regularly calls in sick to play. They won't come out, or even come over to watch a movie because they are 'meeting people on WOW'.

Everything is cool in moderation, but MMORPG's by their very nature suck your time away. Some people would be better off with some good old fashioned fresh air. :)

There's a misconception that people who play a lot somehow have "no lives" or "live in their mother's basement" or some such nonsense. As I've said, I am nothing if not a hardcore player but I still hold a job (in fact, I can often play from work, though only doing drudgery type tasks), somehow I've managed to maintain elite frequent flyer status with three airlines (so obviously, I get plenty of fresh air), and maintain a somewhat active social calendar (I try to stay away from clubs to avoid trouble...but if a friend or client is promoting an event, meh, I have to go). I'm not saying I'm typical (though I have quite a few guildmates who are in IT and can be found online, ingame, during the work day) but I haven't yet run into too many of the "deadbeat" types.

My Xfire says I've spent over 10,000 hours gaming since October 1, 2005. That's a bit low but only because I only run xfire on my primary PC at home (so my time playing from work or on the road, aren't counted). Might be actually close to double that.

That's why I've never joined a raiding guild, in fact. Because I'm not prepared to skip dinner (which has the risk of running late, and making me miss raids) just so I can do stupid Naxx.

Well, I've been MMOing for over a decade now so my setup mitigates any inconvenience that might arise. It's kinda hard to be truly hardcore in WoW since the game is just so easy, you quickly run out of things to spend time on. But that's by design since you really HAD to be hardcore to be 'high end' in the game most of WoW's senior developers started in (EverQuest 1). Nowadays, games aren't nearly as demanding of time as they were way back when, so many have lowered the bar as far as that definition. But there are some guilds that don't like being restricted by the standard windows of their peer guilds. It's also a reason why there is no longer competition for spawns (which is where most of the ingame time was necessary) so you can plan out a fixed raid schedule and stick to it with no problem.

I recall years ago in EQ where my guild at the time had just beaten a key mob and was going to go into the "end zone" of the expansion (Vex Thal, in this case). The problem was, we couldn't leave the zone until we had cleared it because if we did, a competing guild would just walk in and kill everything we left up. As the last mob in the zone was the one with the most sought after loot and you HAD to clear everything (or most everything) before you got to her (or she'd cast an AoE death touch on the entire raid), we didn't have much of a choice. We spent 13 hours clearing that zone....starting at 9pm on a Friday night. Some people had to log out but we were lucky enough to have some Aussie members who logged in shortly after. That kinda thing doesn't happen in MMOs anymore. Now, you just gather outside some spot and enter the instance. No muss, no fuss, no time needed to scout mobs ("Statue is up!") or fear of losing out if you quit early.

That's where the "hardcore" requirement comes in. When we mount up, we typically hit everything that's up, in one play session. That might be as long as 7 hours (if there's a lot available) but is rarely less than 5.

On the whole tipping thing again:

Yeah i was speaking strictly as an american as i've never worked in another country so i don't know their pay policies. Minimum wage which is supposed to be the bare minimum you need to live. Basically rent, food, clothing. The last i heard it was i think $7.50 ( give or take a quarter ), server wage : i'm almost positive it was raised slightly when minimum wage went up so ballpark i'll say $2.25 (if it didn't go up $2.13/hr) , bartender wage slightly more i think is now at $3.50. That's all they are required to pay by law. Neither of which is anywhere close to the minimum the government says you need to live. Take into account that by law as a server/bartender you are required to report all of your tips, through your job who is required to submit it to the payroll company. 99.9% of the time your hourly wage covers the cost of your taxes, SSI and whatever else the government takes out of ones paycheck. So it is implied that they are making enough to live on from their tips.

I've had people buy me a shot for a tip and that's acceptable to me. I don't think its wrong for me or anyone in the service industry to call someone a cheapskate if they don't tip. I don't care if you leave me pennies even if I was an awesome bartender. Its still something. I'll give you some examples of why I feel this way, I used to have a regular customer come into the bar 5 nights a week for a couple months, one of those real needy types. I was always service with a smile, never got a dime. He came in on a busy night and asked for some popcorn after i gave him his beer as i'm moving on to the next person waiting for a drink. I told him can I get a tip? His response what do i have to tip you for? He sat there for two more hours with an empty glass before he got the picture and left. I don't mind not getting tipped every once in a while it happens I don't judge what i don't need is an explanation like this next example, because of my boss's policy i always collect money before i deliver the drinks everyone who knows and those who ask are fine with it so no problems there. I had to guys come in construction workers order two draft beers. 44oz of beer , happy hour total was $5. He paid with a $10 and bartender habit, his change was five $1 bills. i laid them on the bar in front of him and went and got the two beers. I'm getting ready to set them down and he had the nerve to tell me " We're not going to tip you because you're white." So I poured the two beers down the sink and told him well if that's your attitude I'm not going to serve you because you're black, and moved onto the customer who was next to them. So I guess bottom line is I guess like I said before; No you don't Have to tip, but don't be surprised if you receive crappy or no service in return. Again speaking from an American worker standpoint.

I wasn't considering the policies in other countries though, I know the first couple times I went to Windsor Ontario, Canada the bartenders would always give me the strangest looks when I would leave a tip. Regrettably I've never been able to travel elsewhere so I don't even know the standard practices from being a patron. So that was speaking from strictly an american standpoint.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, I've seen people call off or request off of work due to MMO's like EQ and EQII and now WOW. I've also seen people tell their boss they needed to go home because their was a raid happening on EQ. I'll play MMO's every now and then but only the free to play ones. I just can't fathom spending $60 on a brand new game just to have to turn around and spend $15 a month just to be able to play something I've already purchased. To each their own I guess and if you've got the spare loot to do so more power to you.

I don't think you're supposed to live on minimum wage. If I am to entertain that thought, it's certainly not set up for you to support a family (even just 1 other person). And that's what grinds my gears on the subject: When people say "I need minimum wage to support my family of 4 (or whatever)."

In some places you may be able to do so (probably college towns with cheap housing). But you're supposed to be past that at a certain age (and before you're a senior citizen). Those are the only two groups who I could see accepting those jobs out of necessity (the young and the old). If you're in between and you agree to take a job that pays minimum wage, that's on you.

Servers are the exception to the rule, as most I've known make a very decent living doing what they do. A friend of mine who is/was a bartender, calculated he worked 8 months a year (maybe it was 9) when you counted days off and stuff. And he took trips of 3 weeks sometimes to Costa Rica or other countries. Not bad.

On the whole tipping thing again:

Yeah i was speaking strictly as an american as i've never worked in another country so i don't know their pay policies. Minimum wage which is supposed to be the bare minimum you need to live. Basically rent, food, clothing. The last i heard it was i think $7.50 ( give or take a quarter ), server wage : i'm almost positive it was raised slightly when minimum wage went up so ballpark i'll say $2.25 (if it didn't go up $2.13/hr) , bartender wage slightly more i think is now at $3.50. That's all they are required to pay by law. Neither of which is anywhere close to the minimum the government says you need to live. Take into account that by law as a server/bartender you are required to report all of your tips, through your job who is required to submit it to the payroll company. 99.9% of the time your hourly wage covers the cost of your taxes, SSI and whatever else the government takes out of ones paycheck. So it is implied that they are making enough to live on from their tips.

I've had people buy me a shot for a tip and that's acceptable to me. I don't think its wrong for me or anyone in the service industry to call someone a cheapskate if they don't tip. I don't care if you leave me pennies even if I was an awesome bartender. Its still something. I'll give you some examples of why I feel this way, I used to have a regular customer come into the bar 5 nights a week for a couple months, one of those real needy types. I was always service with a smile, never got a dime. He came in on a busy night and asked for some popcorn after i gave him his beer as i'm moving on to the next person waiting for a drink. I told him can I get a tip? His response what do i have to tip you for? He sat there for two more hours with an empty glass before he got the picture and left. I don't mind not getting tipped every once in a while it happens I don't judge what i don't need is an explanation like this next example, because of my boss's policy i always collect money before i deliver the drinks everyone who knows and those who ask are fine with it so no problems there. I had to guys come in construction workers order two draft beers. 44oz of beer , happy hour total was $5. He paid with a $10 and bartender habit, his change was five $1 bills. i laid them on the bar in front of him and went and got the two beers. I'm getting ready to set them down and he had the nerve to tell me " We're not going to tip you because you're white." So I poured the two beers down the sink and told him well if that's your attitude I'm not going to serve you because you're black, and moved onto the customer who was next to them. So I guess bottom line is I guess like I said before; No you don't Have to tip, but don't be surprised if you receive crappy or no service in return. Again speaking from an American worker standpoint.

I wasn't considering the policies in other countries though, I know the first couple times I went to Windsor Ontario, Canada the bartenders would always give me the strangest looks when I would leave a tip. Regrettably I've never been able to travel elsewhere so I don't even know the standard practices from being a patron. So that was speaking from strictly an american standpoint.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, I've seen people call off or request off of work due to MMO's like EQ and EQII and now WOW. I've also seen people tell their boss they needed to go home because their was a raid happening on EQ. I'll play MMO's every now and then but only the free to play ones. I just can't fathom spending $60 on a brand new game just to have to turn around and spend $15 a month just to be able to play something I've already purchased. To each their own I guess and if you've got the spare loot to do so more power to you.

In El Salvador, the kids (because they are probably no older than 16) that carry your groceries out to car from the grocery store only make the tips. But if that's what you have to do to contribute to putting food on the table, I don't even think "pride" comes to mind.

I don't get the ire behind smartphone. Is there another, more appropriate word available to describe a phone that does tons more than just make and receive calls? A lot of those words I agree with you on, but language has to grow to remain relevant. How many people do you know who still speak Latin? Assyrian?

Anyone know how you move to a new country, legally that is?

Same way you move to another city. Take yer stuff and go. You can apply for a residency visa or apply for citizenship (though some countries require you renounce your prior citizenship) when ya get there.

Oh yes, I've considered it many a time, for several reasons CQI13 has stated. ;)

I don't think you're supposed to live on minimum wage. If I am to entertain that thought, it's certainly not set up for you to support a family (even just 1 other person). And that's what grinds my gears on the subject: When people say "I need minimum wage to support my family of 4 (or whatever)."

to the bolded its not supposed to cover you and someone else. when they figure the cost of living its per person. Cost of living is just like the cost of raising a child from infancy to the age of 18 ($250,000 college not included) it goes up every year. Where minimum wage may go up every 3 -5 if you're lucky. In my opinion the reason they don't account for an extra body when doing the cost of living is because that would cause the minimum wage requirements to sky rocket. Then it would be a domino effect like with the last minimum wage raise coupled with the " current recession " a lot of family/privately owned businesses went under because they couldn't support operating costs and a staff to do the operating.

Speaking of the trickle theory. That brings me to another thing that grinds my gears. For those that don't know the Trickle Theory or Trickle Down Theory is certain political parties view that if we make the rich even richer then the excess money will trickle down to the poorer classes of people which will in turn boost the economy, because with the extra money the poor people will go out shopping. Because everyone knows the rich don't buy anything I mean god then they would sell things like private air jets, $350,000 cars and homes big enough to house 4 families... Oh wait they do sell all of those things...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Speaking of the trickle theory. That brings me to another thing that grinds my gears. For those that don't know the Trickle Theory or Trickle Down Theory is certain political parties view that if we make the rich even richer then the excess money will trickle down to the poorer classes of people which will in turn boost the economy, because with the extra money the poor people will go out shopping. Because everyone knows the rich don't buy anything I mean god then they would sell things like private air jets, $350,000 cars and homes big enough to house 4 families... Oh wait they do sell all of those things...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, but see, how many of those are they gonna buy?

See, when poor folks get money, they spend it. They spend it because they need to spend it, they don't have enough money to have everything they want. (IE - when they have extra money, they go over to their list of "stuff I don't have the money for" and check something off. Yes this is a metaphorical list I've never seen someone with an actual list with actual check marks next to the things they have gotten since the making of it.)

When you're Ted Turner, you can afford to buy WHATEVER you want, whenever you want. As a result, you're not going to see him spending 100% of his income; some of it's not going to go back into the pot.

Which in fact is why trickle-down economics also grinds my gears.

I don't get the ire behind smartphone. Is there another, more appropriate word available to describe a phone that does tons more than just make and receive calls? A lot of those words I agree with you on, but language has to grow to remain relevant. How many people do you know who still speak Latin? Assyrian?

Same way you move to another city. Take yer stuff and go. You can apply for a residency visa or apply for citizenship (though some countries require you renounce your prior citizenship) when ya get there.

Oh yes, I've considered it many a time, for several reasons CQI13 has stated. ;)

its not so much the use of the word but the fact that they felt the need to add it to the dictionary. I see your point about language changing and i'm not against it but think of what that does to all those scrabble players out there. I remember way back when you couldn't use brand names etc and it always boiled down to if its not in the dictionary then you can't use it, well now every bleeding thing under the sun is going to be in the dictionary, they are soon no longer going to be able to print them out for personal use otherwise everyone is going to need a dolly or the world's strongest man to carry it around for them. Or a highly advance high powered magnifying glass to read the gigundously (see what i did there :D) small print (look I even made it an oxymoron) they'll have to use. Forget about poket dictionaries.

(all in sarcastic humor ^^)

As for the moving thing I had to ask because , then again this was several years ago , keep forgetting i'm old now, I had a history teacher who said he and his wife were planning a visit to Australia (even a few years before i had heard the story) he was told by his travel agent that he had to contact some representative somewhere. It was someone official title at some government building in Australia ( long ago and lots of green drug inhalation has caused me to forget the exact names) asked him what he did. He replied with: what do you mean what did I do. " Not what did you do. What do you do? As in whats you nature of profession." Oh I'm a history teacher. "Ok well we don't need any history teachers you can come to visit but you'll have to leave at the end of your vacation. We hope you enjoy our beautiful country."

I think he called it controlled immigration or something like that. I was wondering if this policy was still in affect or if there were other countries who follow this , if you don't have a job skill that we are in need of you can't move here kind of thing.

Hardcore (by our guild's definition) is 5-8 hours a day, six days a week. "Life wasting" is highly subjective. How much TV do you watch?

None actually, I haven't owned a TV in over two years :p I do watch DVD's or downloaded stuff once in a while but even then, since I am studying and working in that industry I can justify most of it as research.

I'm not saying I don't waste time doing things with no practical purpose beyond having fun, but I've always found MMO's to be massive time sinks which lots of people, particularly those who like a challenge or are achievement-oriented can become addicted to due to the whole grind away and get rewarded nature of the games. And, like my earlier post on people taking their hobbies too seriously, I've met a few too many overly-defensive MMO players who take themselves and their hobby too seriously and unlike you, Remi, don't keep as balanced a life outside the game.

I'm fairly certain you are not suppose to survive on minimum wage, I believe that's set for the extreme minimum you need to survive (food and the like)

What you mean is a LIVING WAGE, and here in new york thats 10-15 dollars which not by coincidence is my current mark that I'm willing to sell my pride for, as it's the next income bracket for me to penetrate.

Should be noted the LIVING WAGE is the bare minimum you need to live on your own, meaning it's all extremely crappy.

I really dislike your statements. Someone who is doing that job doesn't deserve to be insulted like that. I am sure they care weather they get a tip or not, but I am almost certain they are not doing the job JUST for the tip.

If you are working and you get hurt and are reduced to living on say short-term disability. Do you think that the government would say Well I don't give a damn what put him here we shouldn't have to worry about why he is here. Screw him.

An american government institution? No.

Human beings in general? Yes.

It's not about the job. The only reason their asking me if everything is all right isn't for the overall benefit of my meal, it's to assure themselves they did their job right and that I pay them. I hate them for disguising under the false pretense that they actually care about weather I'm enjoying myself personally. They don't look at me and see a human being, they see their next 5 dollars... And you know, that's okay with me provided you'll own up to it. To lie about that is... Well it's sad.

Prehaps your right it is a little mean, I'll make sure when I do it they'll get an extra tip either way they answer.

Yeah, but see, how many of those are they gonna buy?

See, when poor folks get money, they spend it. They spend it because they need to spend it, they don't have enough money to have everything they want. (IE - when they have extra money, they go over to their list of "stuff I don't have the money for" and check something off. Yes this is a metaphorical list I've never seen someone with an actual list with actual check marks next to the things they have gotten since the making of it.)

When you're Ted Turner, you can afford to buy WHATEVER you want, whenever you want. As a result, you're not going to see him spending 100% of his income; some of it's not going to go back into the pot.

Which in fact is why trickle-down economics also grinds my gears.

Well the idea is if your a Captain Of Industry at some point you'd want to expand your enterprise. However if the person on top is a selfish unambitious dick I can agree it wouldn't work. *sigh* capitalism is a great thing, except when the people in power are greedy... It's them schmucks that we have dreaded things like unions bleeh. Parasites on society.

Guest Instant Classic
When discussing anything on message forums, people who go on long tirades about how facts are needed, and who end up being hypocrites and spending their entire time telling you their opinions and assumptions. Then when you bring any facts into it, they try the usual online tactic of demanding links and "proof" because they're too lazy to find it themselves like everyone else. No one should have to list a directory of resources in a reply because the other person is too uneducated to follow along even though they stuck their noses into it.

This is my one politically-minded post to this thread.

It's them schmucks that we have dreaded things like unions bleeh. Parasites on society.

Unions are the reason we have a forty hour work week. Unions are the reason overtime exists as a concept. Unions are the reason you were in school at the age of ten instead of working in a mill. Unions are the reason the place you work has windows and fire exits. Unions are the reason clean and safe working environments exist. Unions brought about the end of the Gilded Age and helped to usher America into its most prosperous decades of existence.

It's possible to argue that certain unions have too much power, or that reform is needed to prevent them from combating necessary change. But when you use the word "parasite" to disparage every union worker, you disrespect the hard-working men and women responsible for your quality of life today, and whose existence insulates you from having those freedoms taken away.

The last thing I ask you to consider is those who have been the opponents of labor unions throughout history. I, for one, would not want to be associated with the jackboot or the burning cross. I have a feeling you don't want to either.

People who can't take a joke, political correctness, religious people and people who say that they are offended by something. :mad:

The South Park censoring of Muhammed pisses me off. Once again the threats of religious fundamentalists are listened to and obeyed for some odd reason. Why can't we just stop this nonsense? It's the year 2010 and the world should be free of religion. Lets leave it in the history books, please. It's over. Religions are finished. It's a mental illness, nothing more, nothing less. Let's start treating it as such.

The South Park censoring of Muhammed pisses me off. Once again the threats of religious fundamentalists are listened to and obeyed for some odd reason. Why can't we just stop this nonsense? It's the year 2010 and the world should be free of religion. Lets leave it in the history books, please. It's over. Religions are finished. It's a mental illness, nothing more, nothing less. Let's start treating it as such.

This grinds my gears. 99% of religious folks embrace their faith with peace and harmony. Just because 1% take things too far, doesn't mean the whole concept is broken. To each their own. Different strokes. If you're not hurting anyone, you're alright in my book.

The bleeping in that South Park was annoying though.

People who can't take a joke, political correctness, religious people and people who say that they are offended by something. :mad:

That post sounds like an atheist fundamentalist, it almost sounds like the religious fundamentalists you dislike. The way I see it, respect somebodies views and the fact that they may be different to yours, there is no need to say people have a mental illness because they believe differently to you. To cast all people who believe in a higher power off as some bible/koran bashing nutcase isn't the way to go, stereotyping people is a very narrow way of thinking.

As for South Park I think what Matt and Trey were trying to show is the network were too worried about offending Muslims but did not worry about the showing of somebody crapping (literally) all over Jesus and the President of the United States. They were showing the hypocrisy of the PC world we live in at the moment.

Having said all that I agree about the political correctness and the fact that people don't seem to see the lighter side of things once in a while. :D

I find it funnier that I've not heard one person enraged over Buddha snorting coke throughout both episodes. Oh, but, God forbid we see Muhammad! Oh noes!