The Official Football/Soccer Thread

Big Roguey

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mexico really should have won that game. That goal that got disallowed for the offense was a total botch on the part of the officials. Don't think there was any malice or intent there. Just an unfortunate miss by the boys in blue. Can't blame them for continuing to protest going into the half. Vale got robbed. But hey, as an American, I'm not going to be shedding too many tears for Mexico. They are our biggest rivals in regional play after all.

Mexico really should have won that game. That goal that got disallowed for the offense was a total botch on the part of the officials. Don't think there was any malice or intent there. Just an unfortunate miss by the boys in blue. Can't blame them for continuing to protest going into the half. Vale got robbed. But hey, as an American, I'm not going to be shedding too many tears for Mexico. They are our biggest rivals in regional play after all.

It was offside. The goalkeeper played him offside.

Do you... know the rules of football? Might be worth learning them before slandering the absolute best refereeing performance I can remember at any World Cup during my lifetime.

(Or... you know, what he said ^)

But seriously, we need those Uzbekistani guys in the Premiership.

Do you... know the rules of football? Might be worth learning them before slandering the absolute best refereeing performance I can remember at any World Cup during my lifetime.

Seconded.

The officials were spot on throughout the match, and unfortunately we've not been able to say that for a while (at least in the Premiership). Long may it continue.

Gutted for South Africa, would have meant so much to so many for them to win so I've got my fingers crossed they'll beat France or Uruguay and scrape through. Before the match I proclaimed how Tshabalala scoring would make my day - it did :D Can't believe Mphela hit the post though.

All in all, a very enjoyable opening match - here's hoping it'll carry on throughout the tournament.

Yeah, the Mphela chance had me gagging. It wasn't the best of games, but it was a great atmosphere. That'll definitely continue. I'm sure the South Africans won't lose interest once they're out, like England probably will when we host it. ¬_¬

Well, the second game was awful. Truly awful.

Uruguay looked far more like doing something than France did, which didn't surprise me at all, but then the sending off (perfectly justified, even though the first yellow wasn't. Should've been a red anyway) totally hamstrung them. And since the French couldn't do anything, it was only going to suck from there on out.

WHAT?! How can South Korea-Greece not tickle your underdogathon tastebuds?

Class on Saturday. Sucks to be you. I personally have some beer and some mates and a widescreen TV with surround sound. Oooh, yeah. All I need now is for England to win in an entertaining fashion.

First full game of football I've watched in at least a year, and for that reason (and perhaps that reason alone) I enjoyed it. I went from not caring who wins to furiously cheering on the Uruguayans. Mostly because of Diego Forlan. The dude looked frustrated at EVERYTHING. I was shocked he didn't flip out by the end. That amused me. I hope they do well in the tournament.

Watched my first game of football ever this morning; Mexico vs South Africa.

The second half was very entertaining and that missed goal that hit the pole had me out of my seat. Overall I liked the way South Africa played more than I did Mexico, and the atmosphere was awesome as well.

And so, I'll be trying to catch more games as the World Cup continues.

WHAT?! How can South Korea-Greece not tickle your underdogathon tastebuds?

Class on Saturday. Sucks to be you. I personally have some beer and some mates and a widescreen TV with surround sound. Oooh, yeah. All I need now is for England to win in an entertaining fashion.

If I had to rank them by interest, Greece/S.Korea would be third. And funny enough, if I'm up early, I'll be able to catch the first half hour of that before I head off to class. Class is scheduled until 5 (9-5), but we haven't gone past 3:30 ever, so there's hope to catch the second half of the US game on my way back home (on the radio).

It was offside. The goalkeeper played him offside.

You know, was just talking to my nephew-in-law in Iowa who coaches soccer for the munchkins there and has a done a bit of reffing for the rec department and he set me straight there.

A little strong a question to just be consigning to dead type, don't you think? To be sporting, I'll assume it's an honest question worded a little too heavily. But dude, do try to remember that tone lets lost in text.

Anyway, to answer it, I know the basics. This was just one of those things that's in the fuzz zone that frustrates the better informed soccer doubters here in the States about the game. And besides, I wasn't trashing the whole officiating job. It was clearly head and shoulders above much of 06's officiating. Was just that one call that seemed off. It's not a situation that's come up on this side of the pond too often.

Hell even had some casual fans who I was watching with scratching their heads so its understandable. BTW he did make some mistakes imho but they where very minor and he let the game flow. Much better then 2002, bias against smaller teams, and 2006, way too strict.

You know, was just talking to my nephew-in-law in Iowa who coaches soccer for the munchkins there and has a done a bit of reffing for the rec department and he set me straight there.

That wasn't meant come across as me having a go at you, if it did come across like that.

I was on the SD Chargers board during the game and one of the guys went absolutely mental about it. He said he had been playing soccer all his life and he still thought it was a bad call. That can be confusing for people who don't know the full interpretation of the rule.

South Africa vs Mexico - the keeper comes out of the goal mouth and there's a defender stood on the goal line, that's not offside in my book.

And since the French couldn't do anything, it was only going to suck from there on out.

And hopefully their form will continue. ;)

Watched my first game of football ever this morning; Mexico vs South Africa.

The second half was very entertaining and that missed goal that hit the pole had me out of my seat. Overall I liked the way South Africa played more than I did Mexico, and the atmosphere was awesome as well.

And so, I'll be trying to catch more games as the World Cup continues.

If only you knew the joy your post brought to my heart. Hearing an American who's never watched the sport get excited about a game, even when his team aren't playing, brings a big smile to my face. :)

I'm actually hoping that the USA go far in the tournament to bring more attention to game over the pond.

Indeed! Particularly against Portugal! We rule! :D

That's what the record books will say, but the full story is entirely different:

1. Blatant cheating to wind up Wayne Rooney.

2. Portugese players surrounding the referee to influence his decision against Rooney.

3. Rooney gets sent off.

4. Portugal still couldn't score a goal during the game against 10 men.

If my national team couldn't beat a ten man squad without the need for penalties, it's not something i'd be bragging about. :p

---------------

I'm due in the pub (again) in 10 hours, I should really go to bed... but here's some of England's best World Cup anthems for your enjoyment. :cool:

(i've got this on vinyl :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZWxS6Sj6yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1pXsJp_go

(the best, in my opinon)

Archived