JCP 1988 - The Alliance Fights Back (a TGA... and Beyond Diary)

<p>Ric Flair</p><p>

Tully Blanchard</p><p>

The Fabulous Freebirds</p><p>

The Enemy</p><p>

Junkyard Dog</p><p>

Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</p><p>

Dusty Rhodes</p><p> </p><p>

MOTN: Flair vs Honky</p><p>

1st elimination: Cocoa Samoa</p><p>

Final Four: Dusty, Arn, Orton & Taylor</p>

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>NWA World Championship: <strong>'Nature Boy' Ric Flair © (w/ Ole Anderson)</strong> vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

Comments: <em>No title change here.</em></p><p> </p><p>

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs <strong>Tully Blanchard ©</strong></p><p>

Comments: <em>I really doubt Tully would lose his title this early.</em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The New Breed vs <strong>The Fabulous Freebirds ©</strong></p><p>

Comments: <em>Champs retain again.</em></p><p> </p><p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: <strong>The Fabulous Ones ©</strong> vs The Enemy</p><p>

Comments: <em>On four title matches, this is the one where I think the change will be most likely.... still, I doubt it happens here either so champs retain.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Junkyard Dog vs <strong>Austin Idol</strong></p><p>

Comments: <em>Junkyard Dog just feels like JTTS to me, one can question is Idol is big enough star but I figure he is.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs <strong>'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</strong></p><p>

Comments:<em>Debut win.</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Bunkhouse Stampede featuring:</p><p>

<strong>Arn Anderson</strong>, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</p><p>

Comments:<em>Pretty much random pick here.</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night? <strong>'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs Tully Blanchard</strong></p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede?<strong>Jerry Blackwell</strong></p><p>

Who will be the final four? <strong>Arn Anderson, Dusty Rhodes, Bob Orton Jr. and Lex Luger</strong></p>

<p>NWA World Championship: <strong>'Nature Boy' Ric Flair</strong> © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

Comments:</p><p> </p><p>

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs <strong>Tully Blanchard ©</strong></p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The New Breed vs <strong>The Fabulous Freebirds ©</strong></p><p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: The Fabulous Ones © vs <strong>The Enemy</strong></p><p>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs <strong>'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</strong></p><p>

<strong>Arn Anderson</strong>, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</p><p>

Comments:</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night? Flair vs Honky Tonk</p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? Jerry Blackwell</p><p>

Who will be the final four? Anderson, Taylor, Liger, Von Erich</p>

<p>NWA World Championship:<strong> 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair</strong> © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

Comments: A countout or DQ win is possible, but Honky definitely isn't walking out with the gold.</p><p> </p><p>

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs <strong>Tully Blanchard</strong> ©</p><p>

Comments: The way I see it: Tully vs. Flair, title vs. title.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: The Birds aren't dropping them here. The only team I can see dethroning them in the near future is the Von Erichs.</p><p> </p><p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: <strong>The Fabulous Ones</strong> © vs The Enemy</p><p>

Comments: This is the only title match where I'm uncertain.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: Idol's building momentum.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: The next challengers for the Fabulous Ones?</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: Arn winning would create serious intrigue in that story line, so I'll go with that.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night? I want to say Tully/Larry, but I have a feeling it'll be <strong>Flair vs. Honky</strong></p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? <strong>Dusty Rhodes, thanks to something underhanded from Dirty Dick</strong></p><p>

Who will be the final four? <strong>Arn, Luger, Windham, Kerry</strong></p>

<p>Fan Scorecard</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Championship: <strong>'Nature Boy' Ric Flair</strong> © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

Comments: Even if am a Honky Tonk fan, Flair is too way sacred to lose his title against him.</p><p> </p><p>

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs <strong>Tully Blanchard</strong> ©</p><p>

Comments: Tully vs Flair, no doubt about it!</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The New Breed vs <strong>The Fabulous Freebirds</strong> ©</p><p>

Comments: It's too soon for the New Breed to taste the gold.</p><p> </p><p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: The Fabulous Ones © vs <strong>The Enemy</strong></p><p>

Comments: As long as they have Mr. T on their side, i doubt that Lane and Keirn can defeat the Enemy.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: More like Jobber-yard Dog.</p><p> </p><p>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs<strong> 'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</strong></p><p>

Comments: Time for Rose and Sommers to go up!</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: I was about to choose Bigelow, but for the moment it seems that Anderson is appropiate to challenge Flair, considering the tension between the Nature Boy and the rest of the Horsemen.</p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night? <strong>Flair vs. Honky</strong></p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? <strong>Cocoa Samoa</strong></p><p>

Who will be the final four? <strong>Anderson, Bigelow, Snuka, Liger</strong></p>

<p>NWA World Championship: <strong>'Nature Boy' Ric Flair ©</strong> (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

Comments: Naitch wins for now. He's got Ole as well.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: Zbyszko is a good worker and good on the stick but this is not his title to claim.</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Championship: <strong>The New Breed</strong> vs The Fabulous Freebirds ©</p><p>

Comments: Just guessing here.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: </p><p> </p><p>

Comments: Idol seems to be getting a push. </p><p> </p><p>

Comments: Wahoo is still good but the Playboys got more to go for the future.</p><p> </p><p>

Arn Anderson, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, <strong>Jimmy Snuka</strong>, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</p><p>

What was the match of the Night? <strong>Flair vs. Honky</strong></p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? <strong>Greg Gagne</strong> or Tommy Rich. Gagne then.</p><p>

Who will be the final four? <strong>Snuka, Bam Bam, Orton and Windham</strong></p>

NWA World Championship: 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man

Comments: I honestly cannot foresee where you're going here. I have a few ideas, but it could go so many different directions. The one thing I definitely do NOT see, however, is Honky being handed the World title here.

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs Tully Blanchard ©

Comments: Nice match to let the AWA Champ shine in.

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The New Breed vs The Fabulous Freebirds ©

Comments: Gordy and Hayes aren't dropping these anytime soon.

NWA US Tag Team Championship: The Fabulous Ones © vs The Enemy

Comments: I very nearly went with Ron and Cameron, but on second though, Rose and Sommers are coming. Those two against the Fabs should be good times.

Junkyard Dog vs Austin Idol

Comments: JYD just isn't in any position to be a star in the NWA.

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs 'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers

Comments: They can make a pretty solid run for the US titles.

The Bunkhouse Stampede featuring:

Arn Anderson, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...

Comments: Lex is pretty free as of late, he could go for Tully's AWA title.

What was the match of the Night? Flair vs Honky.

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? Blackwell.

Who will be the final four? Luger, Windham, Dusty, Arn

<p>NWA World Championship: <strong>'Nature Boy' Ric Flair</strong> © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p> </p><p>

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs <strong>Tully Blanchard</strong> ©</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The New Breed vs <strong>The Fabulous Freebirds</strong> ©</p><p> </p><p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: <strong>The Fabulous Ones</strong> © vs The Enemy</p><p> </p><p>

Junkyard Dog vs <strong>Austin Idol</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs <strong>'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Arn Anderson</strong>, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night? Flair vs Honky</p><p> </p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? Cocoa Samoa</p><p> </p><p>

Who will be the final four? Arn Anderson, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Lex Luger</p>

<p>NWA World Championship: <strong>'Nature Boy' Ric Flair © (w/ Ole Anderson)</strong> vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

Comments: I just can't see the NWA belt on Honky. </p><p> </p><p>

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs <strong>Tully Blanchard ©</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong>Comments: While Larry Legend is a perfectly capable, the story just isn't going to flow that way.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: New Breed isn't ready for the belts.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: I can see Mr. T being the difference. Also, the Fabs might be a bit too big for these belts now.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: Dog, especially at this point in his career, is strictly getting other guys over. No other reason for him here.</p><p> </p><p>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs <strong>'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong> Comments: Pretty Boy and Playboy to the top!</p><p> </p><p>

Arn Anderson, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, <strong>Greg Gagne</strong>, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</p><p>

Comments: I'm going to step out on a very slim branch here and pick Greg to go after the AWA title, something he never won while in the AWA. Really, I don't know how much you have planned for the AWA belt and I see a built in story that you can get a month or two out of so you can keep the belts separate until Starrcade.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night? Tully/Zbyszko</p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? Tommy Rich</p><p>

Who will be the final four? Gagne, Anderson, Rhodes, Murdoch</p>

<p>NWA World Championship: <strong>'Nature Boy' Ric Flair</strong> © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: <strong>The Fabulous Ones</strong> © vs The Enemy</p><p>

<strong>Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin</strong> vs 'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</p><p>

Arn Anderson, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, <strong>and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</strong></p><p>

What was the match of the Night? Flair vs Honky</p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? Greg Gagne</p><p>

Who will be the final four? Mystery Man, Bam Bam, Snuka, and Rhodes</p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: <strong>The Fabulous Ones ©</strong> vs The Enemy</p><p>

Comments:</p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin</strong> vs 'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</p><p>

What was the match of the Night? Flair/HTM</p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? Lex Luger</p><p>

Who will be the final four? Arn, Dusty, Bob, Snuka</p>

<p>first time predicting</p><p> </p><p>

Firstly i finally upto date with both this and the golden age and they both are epic dyansties and compliment each other very well i really bow to you guys so far its been one heck of a ride lol hope it continues for a long haul</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Championship: 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs <strong><span style="color:#FF0000;">The Honky Tonk Man</span></strong></p><p>

Comments: im probably wrong but i kinda see blanchard and flair going at it and maybe blanchard costs flair setting up a fued for the AWA tittle as good as a unification fued would be i think its too early and best to keep both tittles for now</p><p> </p><p>

AWA World Heavyweight Championship: 'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs <span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>Tully Blanchard</strong></span> ©</p><p>

Comments: pretty much same as above</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The New Breed vs <strong><span style="color:#FF0000;">The Fabulous Freebirds ©</span></strong></p><p>

Comments:cheat to win as always lol</p><p> </p><p>

NWA US Tag Team Championship: The Fabulous Ones © vs <span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>The Enemy</strong></span></p><p>

Comments: good chance to really put them over and cameron is really starting to look a decent worker and of course we all know Ron simmons who is one the best tag team wrestlers </p><p> </p><p>

Junkyard Dog vs <span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>Austin Idol</strong></span></p><p>

Comments: sadly for him TFC killed JYD as a threat to anyone lol</p><p> </p><p>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs '<span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</strong></span></p><p>

Comments: debut win</p><p> </p><p>

Arn Anderson, Bam Bam Bigelow, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, <span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>Lex Luger</strong></span>, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</p><p>

Comments: to fued with HTM</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night? Flair/HTM</p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede? cocoa samoa</p><p>

Who will be the final four? arn, dusty, sullivan and luger</p>

<p>Fan Scorecard</p><p> </p><p>

NWA World Championship:<strong> 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair</strong> © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs The Honky Tonk Man</p><p>

Comments:I could never see the honk winnin this one</p><p> </p><p>

Comments:Larry has not had much build up</p><p> </p><p>

Comments:Freebirds have a filler defense</p><p> </p><p>

Comments:I am a steve keirn fan!</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Junkyard Dog</strong> vs Austin Idol</p><p>

Comments:JYD of course you need more threats for Tully and Flair</p><p> </p><p>

Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs<strong> 'Playboy' Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers</strong></p><p>

Comments:A good debut win on a thrown together team</p><p> </p><p>

Arn Anderson, <strong>Bam Bam Bigelow</strong>, Barry Windham, Bob Orton Jr., Cocoa Samoa, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Greg Gagne, Hector Guerrero, Jerry Blackwell, Jimmy Snuka, Jushin Liger, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Lex Luger, The Lord of Pain, Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and the latest member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness to be revealed on next week's Friday Showdown...</p><p>

Comments:I am going on a whim and saying Bam Bam but I might be wrong</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

What was the match of the Night?Tully Blanchard vs. Larry Zbysco</p><p>

Who is eliminated first from The Bunkhouse Stampede?Cocoa Samoa</p><p>

Who will be the final four? Bam Bam, Arn Anderson, Bob Orton Jr, and Dusty Rhodes</p>

In pre-show bouts Jimmy Garvin d. Shashka Whatley in 7:53 (D) and The Simpson Brothers d. Jimmy Valiant & The Terminator in 6:05 (E+)

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/FridayNightShowdown.jpg

August 19th, 1988

From The Tucson Convention Center, Tucson, Arizona

Attendance: 7,900

Announce Team: Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone & Nick Bockwinkel

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JimRoss0.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TonySchiavone.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/NickBockwinkel.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/HonkyTonkMan.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MagnumTA.jpg

We’re shown footage of last week’s talk show segment with Nick Bockwinkel and the Honky Tonk Man’s opportunist assault of Ric Flair. Honky is standing by with Magnum T.A.

Honky: “Ric Flair, you have something in common with the rest of the NWA and that is that you’ve not been taking the Honky Tonk Man seriously… you see the spangled jumpsuits, the guitar and the fabulous singing voice and you think I’m an easy target. Well, let this be a message to all of you – The Honky Tonk Man ain’t no joke and when I Shake, Rattle & Roll my way to your NWA World Heavyweight Title tomorrow night at Bunkhouse Stampede, you can guarantee that the world will sit up and take notice.”

Grade: B

Manny Fernandez vs. 'Hot Stuff' Eddie Gilbert (w/????)

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MannyFernandez.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/EddieGilbert.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MissyHyatt.jpg

Promising us a surprise last week, Eddie Gilbert seems to have delivered if the beautiful woman in his corner is anything to go by! With his new found confidence in the ring on display, Gilbert takes the match to Fernandez from the outset, giving the Hispanic star little chance to get into the match. A fairly one sided encounter was finally sealed with a Hot Shot from Gilbert, much to the delight of Gilbert’s new friend.

Winners: 'Hot Stuff' Eddie Gilbert by pinfall in 8:29

Grade: C-

Eddie is joined in the ring by the beautiful female and the two embrace in the ring, Gilbert mouths off at the camera that there’s no stopping him now especially as he has Missy Hyatt by his side.

Grade: D

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/AustinIdol.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JunkyardDog.jpg

An on-screen graphic announces that Austin Idol and Junkyard Dog have been signed to a match-up tomorrow night at Bunkhouse Stampede.

Grade: D+

The Von Erichs vs. Johnny Ace & Pat Tanaka

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KerryvonErich.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KevinVonErich.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/PatTanaka.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JohnnyAce.jpg

Newcomer to the NWA Pat Tanaka is joined by Johnny Ace in an uphill battle against the former World Tag Team Champions in their first return to NWA television since losing the belts to the Freebirds. Any frustrations that the duo might have been feeling were most certainly taken out on Ace & Tanaka who were out of their depth from the very outset. Succumbing to a flying crossbody, it’s Johnny Ace who takes the pinfall courtesy of Kevin Von Erich.

Winners: The Von Erichs by pinfall in 6:18

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/StanLane.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/SteveKeirn.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/Tara.jpg

The Fabulous Ones give a quick interview with Tara.

Stan Lane: “Mr. T. we got your message loud and clear. Ever since we won these titles we’ve not ducked from a challenge once, we beat your boy Ron Simmons on the way to winning these belts and if you want us to beat him again then that’s your business.”

Keirn: “It doesn’t matter if you’re a friend or the enemy, the result will be the same – the Fabulous Ones are here to stay and we’ll see you tomorrow night at Bunkhouse Stampede, you better believe it.”

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/GregGagne.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JerryBlackwell.jpg

Another duo are standing by, although this time they’re not an official tag team – it’s Greg Gagne and Jerry Blackwell:

Greg Gagne: “Cocoa… you and me used to be real tight. We were tag team champions, I’d even say we were friends… but what happened to you? You fell back in with Jimmy Snuka and if I told you once, I told you a thousand times to stay away from him – he’s nothing bad bad news.”

Jerry Blackwell: “Jimmy Snuka… you ain’t nuthin but a no good bully. You wanna pick on that there little Chinese boy who can’t even be doin’ no talkin for himself? That ain’t happenin’ roun’ here boy. No sireee and if you wanna have a problem with that then me and Greg will be only too happy to knock your teeth in for you boy.”

Gagne: “If we don’t see you tomorrow night, then rest assured Jerry and me will have plenty to say to you next week on Showdown – let’s see who really was carrying the other one, Cocoa.”

Grade: D+

Non-Title Match

Hector Guerrero vs. Michael Hayes

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/HectorGuerrero.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MichaelHayes.jpg

Two gold carrying members of the NWA roster face off in an action packed match that showcased Michael Hayes’ ability to wrestle independently of his tag team partner. A real cat and mouse effort that the crowd bought into seemed to bring the best out in both men much to the delight of the excited announce team, Nick Bockwinkel speculating that Hayes was really doing enough to earn himself a potential US Championship shot should he lose his tag team belts any time soon… but we were robbed of seeing whether Hayes had enough to put Guerrero away when:

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BobOrtonJr.jpg

Bob Orton Jr. sprinted into the ring and nailed Guerrero with a massive spear. The crowd booed hysterically as Orton continued to kick and punch the US champion as he desperately tried to protect himself.

Winner: Hector Guerrero by Disqualification in 11:05

Grade: C+

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BuddyRose.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/DougSomers.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/RonGarvin.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/WahooMcDaniel.jpg

Another match is advertised for tomorrow night’s Pay-Per-View when ‘Playboy’ Buddy Rose & ‘Pretty Boy’ Doug Sommers make their NWA debut against Ron Garvin & Wahoo McDaniel.

Grade: D

Bam Bam Bigelow (w/Precious) vs. Terry Gordy

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BamBamBigelow.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/Precious.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TerryGordy.jpg

The so called battle of the Bam Bams is a hard hitting affair as Terry Gordy finds himself unusually matched for power by his young foe. Neither man seems to be able to take advantage using their usual tactics so Gordy quickly resorts to cheating with liberal use of thumbs to the eye and low blows until Precious is able to alert referee Tommy Young to the chicanery. Despite a serious looking warning, Gordy looks unimpressed but it is enough to allow Bigelow back into the match. Rocking Gordy with a series of hard blows and a wicked clothesline, it’s enough to send Gordy scurrying to the outside to recuperate. It’s at this point that thing begin to take a downturn for Bigelow, clearly expecting the worst, he is hesitant to join Gordy on the outside who, in turn, is content to roll in and back out of the ring to break up the referee’s count.

Giving up eventually, Bigelow follows Gordy to the outside with one eye firmly on the entranceway in case Kevin Sullivan makes a late appearance. You need to keep two eyes on a competitor as wily as Gordy though and he makes Bigelow pay for the slip by punching him in the throat, leaving the big man gasping for air. Rolling him back into the ring, Gordy stomps on Bigelow’s neck twice and looks for the pinfall… 1… 2… no! Bigelow has enough left in him to kick out! As Bigelow struggles back to his knees, Gordy, standing where he is in the corner of the ring, demonstrates an amazing range of power by lifting Bigelow up above his own head and slamming him down to the canvas with a powerbomb! As Tommy Young drops to make the count, Gordy slips his feet on to the second rope at the corner using the leverage to keep Bigelow’s shoulders down on the mat… 1… 2… 3!

Winner: Terry Gordy by Pinfall in 13:51

Gordy slides his feet back off the ropes as if nothing has happened and leaves the ring, as Precious enters tending to the still struggling for breath Bigelow. As the announce team talk about Gordy’s experience being the difference maker they’re cut short by the arrival of…

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KevinSullivan52.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TheWarlord1.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/Blackblood.pnghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/Woman.jpg

Kevin Sullivan, The Lord of Pain and a mysterious couple! Sullivan wastes no time in invading the ring, shoving Precious off and beating down on the fallen giant. He’s joined by The Lord of Pain who calmly lifts Bigelow and locks him in a powerful Full Nelson! As Bigelow struggles to break free Sullivan grabs a microphone, while his two unnamed accomplices also enter the ring…

Sullivan: “What we have here Bam Bam Bigelow is the reassertion of the natural order. Feel your arms and neck burn in pain, forever trapped in the Lord’s mighty embrace! Ha ha ha! You thought the ordeal was over when you beat me at the Great American Bash? The misery has only just begun Bam Bam Bigelow… fall to your knees and prey worship to the Army of Darkness… to the Lord of Pain and his partner – the darkest executioner of hell – Blackblood!

With that The Lord of Pain wrenches back on Bigelow who leaves the mat, such is the pressure placed on him. Blackblood grabs at Bigelow’s legs and, still locked in the Full Nelson, his body is lifted to a 90 degree angle with that of The Lord of Pain forming a bridge between he and Blackblood. The two then simultaneously drive Bigelow into the canvas, The Lord of Pain with a modified Full Nelson Slam while Blackblood delivers a kind of sitting powerbomb while Precious screams in horror! Sullivan turns to speak to her…

Sullivan: “What you have just witnessed is the first victim of The Gallows! The most devastating manoeuvre in tag team wrestling today. Get on your knees woman and beg that yours is not the next head on the block."

Precious drops to her knees, tears welling in her eyes as she looks at the broken Bigelow. Blackblood looks to move in but he’s cut off by his female companion, she smiles cruelly down at Precious before…. SLAP! A vicious slap to the jaw sends Precious down to the mat sobbing.

Sullivan: “How dare you Precious? How dare any female look into the eyes of the only true Woman in wrestling? My Woman? THE WOMAN. Take your broken man and leave this ring Precious, give him my last piece of advice… get out of the NWA... while you still can.”

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/RicFlair.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MagnumTA.jpg

Magnum: “Sorry Ric but we weren’t expecting you it’s actually time for an interview with…”

Flair puts his hand up to cut Magnum off.

Flair: “It doesn’t matter who you’re interview was with, the champ is here and I’m ready to get something off my chest – I ain’t in the mood for playing Magnum so I suggest you shut your mouth and listen up.

“Last week, Honky Tonk Man – you got in my face. You tried to make yourself a big player with a sneak attack on me. The Naitch. The Dirtiest Player in the Game… you wanted my attention, boy you got it. You think that we treat you like some kind of joke, Jack the joke’s gonna be on you tomorrow night because you got me all fired up! Wooooooooo! Honky Tonk Man, there’s gonna be nothing stopping me from taking you apart tomorrow night and when I slap on that figure four leglock there’s no way you’re going to be able to walk out of there tomorrow night at all, let alone with MY NWA World Heavyweight Championship… Wooooooooo! And as for Tul…”

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/LarryZbyszko.jpg

Flair’s attention is cut off though by the arrival of Magnum’s scheduled guest… it’s ‘The Living Legend’ Larry Zbyszko!

Zbyszko: “Ric, that’s all well and good – you can do whatever you like to The Honky Tonk Man, it’s none of my business and quite frankly I don’t care. What is my business though is how a man I respect has been treated. Nick Bockwinkel and I went through the wars, he knocked me down and I very nearly broke him… but I respected him just as I have all of the other legends that I’ve faced in that ring – you name them and Larry Zbyszko has taken them all the way… but Ric Flair… you went back on your word from just two weeks before.

"When you took Nick Bockwinkel’s hand as a show of respect I thought that at last we had a World Champion to be proud of… for months I’ve toiled watching the NWA ran by a selfish, arrogant, egomaniac… and I despaired when the AWA, my AWA was invaded by a man cut from the same cloth… I’ve not stopped trying to take that AWA World Title from Tully Blanchard from the day he stole it from Nick in the first place and I thought… no, I hoped that I’d have you as an ally on this…"

Flair: “Whoa, whoa, whoa – you better shut your mouth right there Buster! Nobody talks about me or my friends like that, I’ll…”

Zbyszko: “Your friends Ric? What friends? Where were your friends when you were being attacked by The Honky Tonk Man Ric? They were less than twelve feet away but it took three of them to intimidate an old man leaving you to be picked off… and what about your other friends, the ones in the back. Where were they Ric? Where are they now? Why are you out here on your own. Maybe it’s time to look in the mirror and realise what the rest of the world already knows – you don’t have any friends anymore Ric – you’re all alone.”

Flair looks dumbfounded

Flair: “I… I…”

Zbyszko: “Believe me Ric, I’ve been there. I’ve been down the dark path and it’s a hard road back, there’s no denying it… but if I were you, I’d have a good long think before you go trusting anyone again… When I take Tully Blanchard’s AWA title from him tomorrow… who do you think they’re going to turn to for help Ric? I guarantee that when they want or need something, they’ll all come crawling out of the woodwork… but when you needed help to stop the Honky Tonk Man… where were they? Where were they Ric?”

Zbyszko hands Magnum the microphone back as he walks out of the interview area leaving Ric Flair absolutely speechless.

Grade: A

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/ArnAnderson.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TullyBlanchard.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/DavidCrockett.jpg

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard are with David Crockett

Crockett: “Guys I know you were listening to what Larry Zbyszko had to say, what are your thoughts.”

Blanchard looks at the microphone thrusted at him before shaking his head and handing it to Arn Anderson instead…

Anderson: “There you go David. Does that answer your question? Tully and I are sick, sickened to the stomach by what Larry Zbyszko has just accused us of. Let me tell you something right here and now – my two best friends in the world – are Ric Flair… and this man right here to my left. And believe me when I say that I’m literally his right hand man in all things. Larry Zbyszko, I’m going to be busy winning myself the Bunkhouse Stampede tomorrow night which will guarantee that one of my best friends will have the easiest title defence of all time at Fall Brawl but in the off-chance, the slightest outside possibility that you somehow manage to cheat Tully Blanchard out of the AWA World Title, I’ll be coming for you… and things are going to get very personal between us, I promise you that.

"Ric, if you’re listening, don’t pay any attention to what anyone outside our group says to you – jealousy is a terrible thing and believe me when I say that no piece of gold is ever going to get in the way of this group. Speak to Ole, he’ll straighten you out. Zbyszko, Honky Tonk Man – you two are in for one hell of a long night boys and when the three of us get our arms raised in the three main event matches, you’ll see that just like Naitch says, the Natural Order will be resumed!

Grade: B-

Lex Luger (w/Capt. Lou Albano) vs Dick Murdoch

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/LexLuger.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/LouAlbano.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/DickMurdoch.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/DustyRhodes.jpg

Joining us on commentary for our main event is Dusty Rhodes, taking over from Tony Schiavone. Rhodes spends most of the match giving us some brief history lessons on his times with Dick Murdoch, Bockwinkel joins in reminiscing on a number of tough matches that he’d been on the other side of the ring from them both when they teamed together. Murdoch, seems to enjoy the extra attention and although troubled briefly by Lex Luger’s strength, his experience keeps him at least one step ahead of the youngster throughout the course of the match – Luger never really gets going in this one and although Dick maintains the upper hand, he can’t seem to do enough to put the youngster away.

In the end it’s a pitched argument at the announce table between Rhodes and Murdoch that seals the match. Murdoch bails out of the ring to begin arguing with Rhodes who quickly gets to his feet, both men jabbing fingers in each other’s faces – Murdoch seems to be goading Rhodes into hitting him but The Dream isn’t about to get Luger disqualified and lets Murdoch know it… Luger comes over to break things up and ostensibly get Murdoch back into the ring but neither he nor the referee (who is telling Lou Albano to take charge of his man) see Murdoch pick up the ring bell and clock Luger in the head with it! Dropping it back on the table, Murdoch steps gingerly over the unconscious Luger and rolls back into the ring. A furious Dusty Rhodes, tries to help Luger back to his feet but it’s too late as the referee reaches ten, Murdoch standing behind Tommy Young tapping his head as if to suggest to Rhodes that he’s smarter than him and everyone else.

The show ends with Bockwinkel & Jim Ross hyping tomorrow’s card while Dusty Rhodes stares daggers at Dick Murdoch.

Winner: Dick Murdoch by Count-Out in 10:06

Grade: C

Overall Show Grade: B-

Up Next: The Bunkhouse Stampede (show should be posted over the weekend, all going well!)

Wow, Jerry; "the little chinese boy"? lol!

Can't wait for the Stampede! This was a good little show to get the last few matches announced and get some last minute hype going for the others. I'm drawing a blank on who Blackblood is though. Wasn't it Black Bart?

Wow, Jerry; "the little chinese boy"? lol!

Can't wait for the Stampede! This was a good little show to get the last few matches announced and get some last minute hype going for the others. I'm drawing a blank on who Blackblood is though. Wasn't it Black Bart?

Yeah I wasn't sure whether to go with it or not but Jerry was always a touch politically incorrect... I figured I could get away with it (just!) since you can't actually see Liger's face - it's more stupidity than outright racism... that's what I was aiming for anyway!

Blackblood was Billy Jack Haynes - and an absolutely horrible gimmick it was too although he didn't have the Army of Darkness behind him so we'll see how it goes this time!

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36731" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I liked the Larry Z. promo--and it drew an A to boot! Was that your first A rated segment?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'd consider Larry Z. to be the Piper/Roberts of the WWF. Can put up a good to great match and is always good in segments. One for the long term feuds who doesn't need a title to be over.</p>

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/NWASC.jpg

The Bunkhouse Stampede 1988

August 20th, 1988

From The America West Arena, Pheonix, Arizona

Attendance: 18,776 (Sell Out!)

Announce Team: Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone & Nick Bockwinkel

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JimRoss0.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TonySchiavone.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/NickBockwinkel.jpg

NWA United States Tag Team Championship

The Fabulous Ones © vs The Enemy (w/ Mr. T)

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/StanLane.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/SteveKeirn.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/RonSimmons.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/LarryCameron.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MrT.jpg

Much has been made made of Mr. T. and his negative effect on Ron Simmons since joining forces in April this year with many commentators believing that the poisonous influence is having an impact on Simmons’ career… and yet here we are with Simmons deservedly receiving a US Tag Team shot with his ever improving partner Larry Cameron. And it’s The Enemy who appear the hungriest in this match using their strong dominating offence to rock Lane & Keirn to the core. Where they let themselves down though is in the experience department, Lane & Keirn have tagged together countless times and it was evident that no matter what predicament they found themselves in, they always had each other’s backs much to the disgust of Mr. T. on the outside.

The closing sequence saw Cameron whipped into the ropes by Stan Lane and making a blind tag to Ron Simmons that Earl Hebner missed. Even as Stan Lane was nailing Cameron with a Savate Kick, Simmons was being sent back out of the ring by the referee. Mr. T. and Simmons are going berserk but there’s no time to do anything as the referee makes the count and awards the match to the Fabulous Ones with a pinfall!

Winners and still NWA United States Tag Team Champions: The Fabulous Ones by pinfall in 12:23

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JimmySnuka.jpg

Jimmy Snuka gives a quick interview about the Bunkhouse Stampede bumping up his own chances and warning Jushin Liger and everyone else to stay out of his way.

Snuka: "When the smoke clears, you will see only me standing and ready to take my place as the Heavyweight Champion of the World! HOO! HOO! HOO! HOO!

The Junkyard Dog vs. Austin Idol

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JunkyardDog.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/AustinIdol.jpg

Still popular with the crowd but struggling to compete at the highest level, JYD was taken to the cleaners by Austin Idol in an impressive display of Idol’s potential. Barely letting up for a single moment, Idol blasted JYD with an onslaught of strong attacks as the announce team discussed whether Idol was finally starting to meet his potential. A Las Vegas Drop sealed the deal for Idol as another impressive victory was added to his resume.

Winner: Austin Idol by pinfall in 9:08

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/DustyRhodes.jpg

Dusty's time on the microphone now and just like Jimmy Snuka before him, Dusty Rhodes takes the opportunity to promise his fans that he'll be doing everything to recapture the NWA World title and that he'll show Dick Murdoch once and for all that he deserves every opportunity that comes his way.

Rhodes: "Dick Murdoch baby, I ain't interested in you or anythin' that you do no more, those days are long past but brother I warn you if we cross paths in this Bunkhouse Stampede today - I'm gonna take great pleasure in puttin' a hurtin' on you."

Ron Garvin & Wahoo McDaniel vs 'Playboy' Buddy Rose & 'Pretty Boy' Doug Sommers

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/RonGarvin.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/WahooMcDaniel.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BuddyRose.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/DougSomers.jpg

A welcoming committee of two of the NWA’s most respected veterans is in place to greet Buddy Rose & Doug Sommers – a dangerous tag team from the former AWA. The audience was treated to a hard hitting if uninspiring tag team match that saw Doug Sommers being drilled by Wahoo & Garvin on an almost continual basis while Rose cowered on the apron, refusing to yield to Wahoo’s jibes and face him in the ring. It took a mis-step from McDaniel to turn the tide in favour of the newcomers. Wahoo was mis-positioned to make the tag to Garvin who was cut down by a Sommers low blow before being whipped into Rose’s corner… while Sommers feigned injury, Rose choked out Garvin with the tag rope to Wahoo’s fury! As McDaniel tried to enter the ring, the referee was on hand to ensure that Wahoo didn’t get the chance to interfere. Pretty Boy and Playboy liberally double teamed Garvin before Rose tagged himself in and finished Garvin off with a Samoan Drop to the fury of the crowd and Wahoo McDaniel in particular!

Winners: 'Playboy' Buddy Rose & 'Pretty Boy' Doug Sommers

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KerryvonErich.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KevinVonErich.jpg

The Von Erichs explain that they have a natural advantage in the upcoming Bunkhouse Stampede: each other.

Kerry Von Erich: “Blood is thicker than water and tonight in Phoenix, we're going to show that teamwork brings its own rewards.”

Kevin Von Erich: "That's right Kerry, we'll let everyone else fight for themselves but when it comes down to it, if I can't be the man to win tonight, then I'm going to make damn sure that my brother does it.

Brian Blair vs. 'Hot Stuff' Eddie Gilbert (w/ Missy Hyatt)

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BrianBlair.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/EddieGilbert.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MissyHyatt.jpg

A last minute addition to the card saw the unexpected debut of B. Brian Blair, the former AWA lightweight star was up against impressive youngster Eddie Gilbert. Hot Stuff was all swagger throughout this one but perhaps took the veteran a little too lightly because Blair was clearly not willing to stand down in this one. To the surprise of the majority of the audience but a theme that is definitely developing tonight, it was experience that won through as Brian Blair nailed Eddie Gilbert with a flying crossbody to take the debut victory!

Winner: Brian Blair by pinfall in 8:18

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BobOrtonJr.jpg

Bob Orton Jr. is on promo time:

Orton: "Listen, I don't really care if I win the Bunkhouse Stampede or not. I just want to stay long enough to get my hands on that scrawny fence jumping bean no good piece of trash Hector Guerrero... I'll tell you the truth, I don't want to win... because I wanna to be free to take the US title back for America. Guerrero - I'm coming for you and even if I have to go through 18 other guys to get to you... I'll do it!"

NWA World Tag Team Championship

The New Breed vs. The Fabulous Freebirds ©

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/ChrisChampion.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/SeanRoyal.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TerryGordy.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MichaelHayes.jpg

Although former champions themselves, The New Breed came into this match with little expectations from the majority of the crowd – frankly they weren’t seen as being on the same level as Gordy and Hayes… and yet nobody told Champion and Royal because they gave as good as they got in this bout. Despite giving a big size advantage to Gordy in particular, the two youngsters used quick tags and almost psychic ring presence to give the Champions a real scare… Gordy and Hayes are no slouches in the tag department either though and know each other’s styles extremely well. As the match progressed, the outcome became more obvious and ultimately The New Breed highlighted that the tag division is far stronger now than it was a year ago. Attempting an ambitious sunset flip, Chris Champion was caught by Terry Gordy and nailed with a powerbomb that made the youngster bounce on the canvas such was its ferocity. Gordy made the pinfall for a successful Freebirds defence.

Winners and still NWA World Tag Team Champions: The Fabulous Freebirds by pinfall in 10:54

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/MagnumTA.jpg

Before the bout can start we are once again reminded of the rules by Magnum T.A. He explains to the live audience and those watching on pay-per-view throughout North America that this is a timed entrance battle royal, with a new entrant coming down the aisle every three minutes. Wrestlers can compete anywhere in the ringside area and elimination can only occur via pinfall or submission inside the ring itself. There are no disqualifications and no holds are barred… For the winner, an opportunity to wrestle for either the NWA or AWA World Heavyweight Titles at our next Pay-Per-View extravaganza – Fall Brawl!

The Bunkhouse Stampede

#1 - 'The Total Package' Lex Luger

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/LexLuger.jpg

The announcers speculate that although an early favourite for many, Lex Luger now has an uphill battle if he wants to make it to the main event of Fall Brawl and the youngster will need to have the performance of his life if he’s to survive! Luger takes off his robe and hands it to Captain Lou Albano who makes a steady retreat to the back as the second competitor makes his entrance:

#2 - Barry Windham

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BarryWindham.jpg

Windham takes his time coming down to the ring making firm eye contact with Luger all the way. Unlike Luger, Windham’s manager Ole Anderson is nowhere to be seen – Nick Bockwinkel makes mention of this and asks whether this is significant. Neither of his colleagues seem to know and their answers are lost when Luger and Windham finally lock up in the centre of the ring. Luger wins the initial test of strength between the two, Barry Windham looking visibly shocked as he’s forced on to his knees by Luger’s impressive power. Siezing the momentum, Luger drills Windham with a knee into the face and quickly hoists Windham high over his head! Windham is locked in the torture rack as referee Earl Hebner asks Windham if he submits! He’s still too fresh to give up straight away though and as the clock ticks down… Windham is still struggling to stay alive in this match as the buzzer sounds…

#3 - 'Cowboy' Bob Orton Jr.

Still Alive: Lex Luger (3:00)

Still Alive: Barry Windham (3:00)

Arguably the worst possible drawn for Lex Luger as Bob Orton Jr. sprints down to the ring, sensing what’s coming, Luger dumps Windham down and prepares himself for the on-running Orton Jr. Throwing his full weight behind the assault, Luger is rocked by Orton’s running tackle but doesn’t go down! Instead he nails Orton with a meaty forearm that sends the Cowboy flying over the top rope. The crowd leap to their feet, thinking that the Cowboy has been eliminated… but those aren’t the rules and Luger knows it! He steps over the top rope himself and gives chase to Orton who hightails it around the ring post and slides back into the ring on the opposite side. Luger sprints after him… only to run into a huge Barry Windham clothesline!

The two Horsemen beat down on Luger who desperately attempts to protect himself… it’s to no avail though as Orton picks up the groggy Luger only to send him back to the canvas with a crushing DDT. Sensing an opportunity, Barry Windham throws on a figure four leglock that has Luger thrashing in agony… Even as Tommy Young asks Luger if he wants to quit, Orton takes the opportunity to stomp on the Total Package’s head! Measuring up Orton nails Luger with a leg-drop and goes for a pinfall while the leglock is still in place! Luger gets his shoulder up after two! Luger gets his shoulder up! Windham releases the hold and Orton grabs the leg for another pinfall attempt! Barry Windham jumps on top, pulling the leg back along with Orton! Luger can’t shake them both off with his injured leg and is the first to leave the match!

Lex Luger eliminated by Barry Windham & Bob Orton Jr. in 4:52

Orton and Windham high five each other and pull in some air as a disappointed Lex Luger leaves the ring. The announce team hammer home that the two Horsemen seem to be working together and will be a tough partnership to break down as they both stand in wait of unlucky number 4…

#4 - 'Wildfire' Tommy Rich

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TommyRich.jpg

Still Alive: Barry Windham (6:00)

Still Alive: Bob Orton Jr. (3:00)

It’s Tommy Rich! Rich knows both men very well and is extremely cautious in his entry to the ring. Taking his time getting in there, Rich is clearly very nervous and Orton can’t contain his mirth as Rich nervously climbs into the ring – both Horsemen though are content to let Rich enter the ring though… after all you can’t eliminate someone until you get them inside the ring! As soon as Wildfire steps inside though all bets are off! Orton throws another running tackle and this time Wildfire is sent up in the air from the force of the impact! Windham is on Rich as quick as a trice with the same savage punches and slaps that the duo had dealt to Lex Luger. Using their combined weight again, Tommy Rich is trapped and powerless to escape as the referee counts the pinfall .

Tommy Rich eliminated by Barry Windham & Bob Orton Jr. in 8:04

The two high five each other again and laugh as they wait for the counter to tick down again.

#5 - Hector Guerrero

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/HectorGuerrero.jpg

Still Alive: Barry Windham (9:00)

Still Alive: Bob Orton Jr. (6:00)

Orton’s face drops as Guerrero’s music hits and the US Champion comes sprinting down the aisle with a steel chair in hand! The announce team remind us that chairs are entirely legal but weapons might not be the best tactic as if they get taken off you, they will get used! Guerrero reaches the ring and fakes sliding in, this brings Windham down close to the ropes and Guerrero pulls Windham outside, cracking him with the chair in his back for his troubles! Windham is down and out as Orton looks shellshocked!

Guerrero hops on to the ring apron and is inside the ring before Orton can even move – he comes back to life though catching the chair that is thrown at him by Hector, the huge grin is wiped from his face though when Guerrero delivers a massive dropkick to the chair, forcing it into Orton’s face and sending him down to the canvas as the chair flies over the top rope and lands outside the ring. Quick as a flash Hector’s on the top rope and delivers a flying frog splash to Orton! Guerrero stays on for the pinfall… 1… 2… NO! Windham has come to and pulled Earl Hebner outside of the ring breaking the count! Guerrero’s back up and exchanging blows with Windham but with Orton coming to, the odds are against him again. The Horsemen are reasserting control thanks to their numbers advantage as the buzzer chimes again.

#6 - Jerry Blackwell

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JerryBlackwell.jpg

Still Alive: Barry Windham (12:00)

Still Alive: Bob Orton Jr. (9:00)

Still Alive: Hector Guerrero (3:00)

The massive frame of Jerry Blackwell plods his way down to the ring as Guerrero continues to try and fight off the Horsemen, neither of whom look too keen to be having to deal with the Giant already. They have little choice though because Jerry makes a beeline straight for Barry Windham. Leaving Guerrero and Orton to continue their ongoing feud with each other. For the first time since Lex Luger and Barry Windham opened proceedings, there’s no 2 on 1 advantage in the ring and things are settling into a more tactical battle as the buzzer rings for entrant number 7.

#7 - Blackblood

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/Blackblood.png

Still Alive: Barry Windham (15:00)

Still Alive: Bob Orton Jr. (12:00)

Still Alive: Hector Guerrero (6:00)

Still Alive: Jerry Blackwell (3:00)

It’s Blackblood’s time to enter the ring now and he’s not wasting time either leaving Woman standing in the aisleway, the massive masked man decides to test himself against Jerry Blackwell, as he jumps on to the apron, he pulls both Windham and Blackwell over the top rope to the outside where he and Windham team together to work over the big man. In the ring, Bob Orton has taken the upper hand over Hector Guerrero and has nailed him with a huge DDT. Clearly enjoying himself again and after showboating for the best part of a minute, Orton lifts Guerrero back up and looks to hit another, but Guerrero has hooked the leg behind Orton and rolls through into a cradle pin! It’s locked in! 1… 2… 3!

Bob Orton Jr. eliminated by Hector Guerrero in 16:11

Orton has been caught by Hector Guerrero and he’s absolutely livid! Refusing to leave, Orton drills Guerreo with a massive lariat before arguing with the referees on his way out of the ring. The crowd booing him almost drowns out the buzzer as our next entrant makes his way out.

#8 - Kevin Von Erich

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KevinVonErich.jpg

Still Alive: Barry Windham (18:00)

Still Alive: Hector Guerrero (9:00)

Still Alive: Jerry Blackwell (6:00)

Still Alive: Blackblood (3:00)

Kevin Von Erich joins in the three way battle outside of the ring and the announcers point out that the longer the match goes on the more likely we are to see the freshest wrestlers going after those who’ve been out for a while. This theory seems about right as Von Erich rolls Barry Windham back in the ring and immediately goes for an unsuccessful pin attempt. Blackwell and Blackblood are both back in the ring now too as the four pair off while Hector Guerrero takes a breather in the corner.

Blackwell delivers a powerful and impressive bodyslam on Blackblood leading to another unsuccessful pinfall attempt. Blackblood is quick to bounce up as if completely unaffected and even as Hector Guerrero hits Blackwell with a flurry of punches, Blackblood is attempting to lock in a huge full nelson but although he looks uncomfortable, Blackwell is battling to break back out as Guerrero joins Von Erich’s pummelling of Barry Windham. The fingers aren’t locked and it’s only a matter of time before Blackwell escapes as the buzzer sounds again.

#9 - The Lord of Pain

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TheWarlord1.jpg

Still Alive: Barry Windham (21:00)

Still Alive: Hector Guerrero (12:00)

Still Alive: Jerry Blackwell (9:00)

Still Alive: Blackblood (6:00)

Still Alive: Kevin Von Erich (3:00)

Accompanied by Woman, here comes The Lord of Pain… and not surprisingly he heads straight over to assist Blackblood, he delivers some big punches to Blackwell and grabs him by the throat pushing his head back, the extra leverage allows Blackblood to lock his fingers and Blackwell is trapped! The other three are keeping their distance as The Lord of Pain grabs Blackwell’s massive legs and in an incredible feat, the duo lift him into The Gallows! And Connect! The ring shakes with the force of Blackwell’s bulk being slammed into the canvas. The two remain on top as the referee counts the pinfall.

Jerry Blackwell eliminated by The Lord of Pain & Blackblood in 21:31

Obviously not fancying their chances individually the three other men silently agree on a pact and work together against the two behemoths. Guerrero’s speed and agility make his a hard target to catch as he darts between the two, peppering them with shots while Windham concentrates on Blackblood, leaving Von Erich to face The Lord of Pain.

#10 - Dick Murdoch

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/DickMurdoch.jpg

Still Alive: Barry Windham (24:00)

Still Alive: Hector Guerrero (15:00)

Still Alive: Blackblood (9:00)

Still Alive: Kevin Von Erich (6:00)

Still Alive: The Lord of Pain (3:00)

We’re halfway through the entrants as Dick Murdoch stakes his claim for a shot at one of the World Titles with a very slow walk down to the ring. In fact Murdoch decides that rather than enter the ring, he’d rather unfold a chair and watch events from the comfort of ringside instead! With Murdoch watching proceedings and the announce team hastily searching through their notes to see if Murdoch was breaking any rules, Hector Guerrero stood at the apron shouting at Murdoch to enter the ring and quit being a coward… ever the opportunist, Barry Windham deserted Kevin Von Erich to be double teamed by Blackblood and The Lord of Pain choosing instead to sneak up behind Guerrero. Murdoch only laughed at Guerrero and pointed behind him causing the puzzled Mexican to turn slowly around… straight into a but to the gut from Barry Windham that he turned into a short piledriver. Slipping over Guerrero, Windham went for the pin… and got it!

Hector Guerrero eliminated by Barry Windham in 26:20

What Windham didn’t see was Kevin Von Erich knocking both of the tag team partners over with a flying crossbody and come scuttling behind him and to the top rope so as Windham got to his feet, he was knocked back down by a flying axe handle from Kevin Von Erich! Hooking the leg the referee counts and… the longest serving participant is finally gone!

Barry Windham eliminated by Kevin Von Erich in 26:36

Never one to refuse a good idea, Dick Murdoch chose that second to get into the ring and beat the three minute time limit he had to get inside the ring… wrapping his hand in a steel chain, The Lord of Pain and Blackblood backed off leaving an unsighted Kevin Von Erich to walk into a steel assisted punch from Murdoch that nearly took his head off!

Murdoch makes the cover as the buzzer goes off

#11 - 'The Modern Day Warrior' Kerry Von Erich

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KerryvonErich.jpg

Still Alive: Blackblood (12:00)

Still Alive: Kevin Von Erich (9:00)

Still Alive: The Lord of Pain (6:00)

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (3:00)

Kerry sprints down to the ring to try and assist his brother but it’s too far and with the Lord of Pain and Blackblood in his way he never stood a chance as Kevin loses out to the three count.

Kevin Von Erich eliminated by Dick Murdoch in 27:03

Dick Murdoch now seems happy to stand back and watch as the two giants work over Kerry Von Erich but, like his brother before him, he refuses to stand down and he’s a lot fresher than both of them which gives him an extra spring in his step, given that there’s two of them though, it’s still proving problematic to be able to do enough to put them away and Kerry’s survival could hinge on who’s about to walk through the curtain next…

#12 - 'The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes

Still Alive: Blackblood (15:00)

Still Alive: The Lord of Pain (9:00)

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (6:00)

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (3:00)

The venue comes unglued as The American Dream comes down the aisle carrying a 2x4! Murdoch’s face is priceless and even the other three stop duking it out to watch what’s going to happen! Murdoch prowls around the ring looking to try and keep Rhodes out, aware of the rules that mean he has three minutes to get inside the ring or face being automatically eliminated! A cheap blow from Kerry Von Erich is all that Dusty needs to get himself in the ring and begin punishing Murdoch! Snapping the 2x4 over Murdoch’s back, Rhodes wrenches the chain from Dick’s fist and the two continue to tussle over it and accidentally clotheslining both The Lord of Pain and Blackblood with it in the process. Kerry attempts to pin Blackblood but he’s not quick enough and the Lord breaks up the attempt even as the buzzer sounds again.

#13 - Bam Bam Bigelow

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BamBamBigelow.jpg

Still Alive: Blackblood (18:00)

Still Alive: The Lord of Pain (12:00)

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (9:00)

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (6:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (3:00)

Uh-oh! The Lord of Pain and Blackblood are still groggy but even they can see Bam Bam Bigelow hurtling towards them! The chain is lost over the side of the ring and Tommy Young quickly hides it away as Murdoch and Rhodes continue to punch and kick at one another. All eyes are on Bigelow though as he double clotheslines Blackblood and The Lord of Pain simultaneously! Without a word, he and Kerry begin to team up against the pair, Kerry delivering two quick succession discus punches to the giants, neither of whom are knocked down but both stumble around the ring until Bigelow grabs them both at the same time by the throat before propelling them both in to the air with a double chokeslam! Bigelow puts a giant paw on both as Tommy Young and Teddy Long make the counts… and they’re gone! Bam Bam Bigelow has taken out two thirds of the Army of Darkness on his own!!

Blackblood eliminated by Bam Bam Bigelow in 34:41

The Lord of Pain eliminated by Bam Bam Bigelow in 34:41

Bigelow and Von Erich put their truce aside as they look to thin the numbers further – the pair begin to square off even as Rhodes and Murdoch continue to roll around the ring, unable to step away without the other giving chase.

#14 - Kevin Sullivan

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/KevinSullivan52.jpg

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (12:00)

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (9:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (6:00)

Still Alive: Bam Bam Bigelow (3:00)

It’s a match where the ante seems to continue going up and with Kevin Sullivan’s arrival we now have two sets of men who would happily kill each other! Bigelow, unlike others in this position before adopts a different approach, actively standing back and letting Sullivan enter the ring. Visually trying to calculate how best to handle things Sullivan immediately ducks behind Murdoch and Rhodes! He moves at the same time as they do, all the time biting and poking at one another but, crucially keeping the pair between himself and Bigelow… he doesn’t see Kerry Von Erich stalking him from the other side though and the crowd erupts when Von Erich lands a blow that brings Sullivan out of safety and in to a bodyslam from Bigelow!

Meanwhile Dick Murdoch has been cut open by Dusty! The blood begins to run down his face as Rhodes continues the assault. Kerry & Bigelow’s team is taking shape again as we get our next entry.

#15 - 'The Enforcer' Arn Anderson

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/ArnAnderson.jpg

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (15:00)

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (12:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (9:00)

Still Alive: Bam Bam Bigelow (6:00)

Still Alive: Kevin Sullivan (3:00)

‘The Enforcer’ Arn Anderson makes his in-ring return and looks to make as big an impression as possible, surveying his options he decides to lend a hand to Dick Murdoch, taking over the punishing duty of exchanging fisticuffs with The American Dream! The break allows Murdoch to take to the outside where he’s attended to by medics. Dusty clearly has designs in going after him but to be face to face with another old foe is too delicious an opportunity to miss – he and Anderson turn back the clock and the crowd remember some of the blood feuds that these two took part in not so long ago! Sullivan meanwhile has an armlock on Bigelow while Kerry has momentarily swapped sides again.

Arn and Kerry begin to trade blows as Rhodes finally pushes Anderson off him, he follows Murdoch to the outside where he begins his assault again! This time on the outside of the ring. He cracks Murdoch from behind who falls on to the guard rail and Dusty hits the Bionic Elbow! Slumping for the cover, Tommy Young can be heard reminding Dusty that although it’s legal to fight outside, decisions have to be made inside the ring… the two are still arguing the toss as the buzzer goes again!

#16 - 'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JimmySnuka.jpg

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (18:00)

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (15:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (12:00)

Still Alive: Bam Bam Bigelow (9:00)

Still Alive: Kevin Sullivan (6:00)

Still Alive: Arn Anderson (3:00)

The ‘freshness rule’ is clearly applying again as the Superfly has made a beeline for Kerry Von Erich! Climbing to the top rope and leaping at The Modern Day Warrior, if it hadn’t been for Snuka’s momentum carrying him off and back out of the ring again, there’s a real chance that Kerry could’ve been the next one headed to the locker room. As it is though, the distraction is the opportunity that Sullivan has been looking for as he grabs the discarded Dick Murdoch chain from the outside and wraps it around Bam Bam Bigelow’s throat! Pulling tightly, Bigelow is struggling for air and it’s child play for Kevin Sullivan to grab the pinfall that makes Bigelow the 10th man eliminated.

Bam Bam Bigelow eliminated by Kevin Sullivan in 43:17

Murdoch and Rhodes have now returned to the ring and Arn Anderson has sided again with Dick Murdoch in trying to take down the American Dream leaving Kevin Sullivan and Jimmy Snuka to double team Kerry Von Erich. Von Erich is the subject of two more pinfall attempts but each time has just enough to escape. Rhodes meanwhile won’t even fall to the canvas aware that he has two vultures just waiting to pick him off! The buzzer sounds again…

#17 - Cocoa Samoa

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/CocoaSamoa.jpg

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (21:00)

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (18:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (15:00)

Still Alive: Kevin Sullivan (9:00)

Still Alive: Arn Anderson (6:00)

Still Alive: Jimmy Snuka (3:00)

There’s quite a few tired legs in the ring by the time Cocoa Samoa gets there and to the surprise of no-one he immediately joins in the battle to eliminate Kerry Von Erich! Von Erich though has been smart enough to drop to the outside of the ring where although he can still be hit, he can’t be eliminated. Sullivan and Snuka’s alliance shatters as the two turn on each other, Sullivan clearly seeing that he has to act now or fall victim to the numbers game… From outside the ring Kerry grabs at Arn’s leg and pulls him to the outside. Leaving Dusty and Murdoch alone again! Murdoch removes the turnbuckle corner and goes to ram Dusty’s head into it… only to be blocked by The Dream, reversing the move, Murdoch’s head smashes into the exposed turnbuckle and the covered wound erupts with blood again!

The counter reaches zero and all eyes turn to the entrance way…

#18 - Jushin 'Thunder' Liger

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/JushinLiger.jpg

Still Alive: Dick Murdoch (24:00)

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (21:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (18:00)

Still Alive: Kevin Sullivan (12:00)

Still Alive: Arn Anderson (9:00)

Still Alive: Jimmy Snuka (6:00)

Still Alive: Cocoa Samoa (3:00)

Like a streak of lightning, Jushin Liger hits the ring while Samoa and Snuka are still trading blows with one another and he unleashes a blistering series of jumps, kicks and clothesline that have the crowd on their feet as the human pinball bounces around the ring!

Meanwhile Kerry Von Erich has broken free of Arn and returned to the ring to take on Kevin Sullivan, catching him with a discus punch that sends him flying into the air. Quickly Von Erich drops to the canvas to lock on the Iron Claw! Arn Anderson goes to break up the hold… but thinks better of it and stands back to watch instead… Sullivan can’t take it! He gives up!

Kevin Sullivan eliminated by Kerry Von Erich in 50:21

Meanwhile Dick Murdoch has slumped to the canvas, his face a mask of blood, Dusty Rhodes hits another Bionic Elbow and goes for the pinfall… and gets it! Dick Murdoch has finally been eliminated by Dusty Rhodes!

Dick Murdoch eliminated by Dusty Rhodes in 50:28

His face an absolute mess, Murdoch is virtually unable to move and lies motionless as Arn Anderson and Dusty Rhodes brawl above him. The referees manage to roll him out of the ring and get him a seat near the announcers while medics check him over as the counter hits zero again.

#19 - Greg Gagne

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/GregGagne.jpg

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (24:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (21:00)

Still Alive: Arn Anderson (12:00)

Still Alive: Jimmy Snuka (9:00)

Still Alive: Cocoa Samoa (6:00)

Still Alive: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger (3:00)

Kerry joins Dusty in the battle against Arn leaving what is in effect a tag team match as Greg Gagne sides with Liger against Cocoa Samoa and Jimmy Snuka. Old friends and now bitter enemies, Samoa and Gagne go hard at it, leaving Snuka and Liger to try and get the better of the other, Liger is fast… but so is Snuka and when Liger tries to leapfrog over the Superfly it proves to be a disastrous decision – Snuka catches Liger and moves him around into a running powerslam… he connects and Cocoa Samoa spotting the opportunity leaps from the top rope with a splash on to the prone Liger… even as Gagne grabs a fistful of Samoa’s hair and drags him off, Snuka has gone in for the pinfall…

Jushin Liger eliminated by Jimmy Snuka in 52:19

Even before Snuka can celebrate though, he’s lost a tag team partner because Greg Gagne has just delivered an implant DDT on Cocoa Samoa and hooked the leg!

Cocoa Samoa eliminated by Greg Gagne in 52:27

Cocoa Samoa is gone too! And Jimmy Snuka is furious! He unleashes a wild volley of shots on Gagne, that sends the All American High Flier reeling, Irish Whip into the ropes is cut off by the opportunist Arn Anderson as the five remaining men turn the battle into a proper every man for himself battle royal!

Except their not the only five remaining as there’s still one more entrance to be made…

#20 - 'Mr. Fantastic' Terry Taylor

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TerryTaylor.jpg

Still Alive: Kerry Von Erich (27:00)

Still Alive: Dusty Rhodes (24:00)

Still Alive: Arn Anderson (15:00)

Still Alive: Jimmy Snuka (12:00)

Still Alive: Greg Gagne (3:00)

Slowly swaggering down the aisle, Terry Taylor has had the best possible draw and is in no hurry to join the action any quicker than he has to! Even before he’s made it to the ring, the tactic has paid dividends, Arn Anderson had laid out Gagne with a haymaker, it was enough for Jimmy Snuka to scale the ropes and make his trademark Superfly Splash and send Greg Gagne out of the competition.

Greg Gagne eliminated by Jimmy Snuka in 54:40

We’re back down to five men and this time there are no buzzers and no-one else coming to interfere… and yet… even as Terry Taylor enters the ring and has a cheap shot at Dusty Rhodes, sending him almost dangling through the middle and bottom ropes, there’s one more forgotten man who can have an impact here… from his seat by the announcers table, the now patched up Dick Murdoch surreptitiously lifts up the ring bell and while making his way to the back takes a diversion, smashing Dusty Rhodes on the head with the ring bell as he walks past… the blow is enough to cut Rhodes open and never one to miss an opportunity Taylor makes the cover…

Dusty Rhodes eliminated by Terry Taylor in 56:02

Rhodes is furious to have been eliminated in this way but as the referees point out – there’s no rules and anything goes! Taylor has no chance to celebrate as he joins Arn Anderson in the fight against Kerry Von Erich and Jimmy Snuka. Taylor offers Anderson a handshake and Arn gives him a funny look before clasping him by the shoulder. Taylor gives a wide smile and the two stop to let Snuka and Von Erich duke it out!

We have a shortened match almost as the visibly shattered Von Erich gives everything he has to try and take out the Wildman… but Snuka is proving too powerful… when Von Erich locks in an Iron Claw it seems as if it’s sheer desperation that’s got them there… and yet… he holds on and while Snuka doesn’t quit… his shoulders are against the mat! 1… 2… 3! Von Erich has done it, he’s pulled energy from who knows where and sent Jimmy Snuka sprawling out of the contest!

Jimmy Snuka eliminated by Kerry Von Erich in 58:39

Taylor laughs and gives Anderson a gentle slap in the chest before motioning that they should finish the job off… the plan of the two Horsemen is obvious for all to see now… and yet Arn doesn’t move… Kerry is exhausted on the canvas and ripe for the picking but Anderson isn’t moving? Taylor turns around to ask what he’s doing… only for Anderson to step closer and blast him with a Brainbuster! Taylor is pole-axed and Anderson is quick as lightning to go for the pin on the shell-shocked Taylor! And gets it!

Terry Taylor eliminated by Arn Anderson in 58:57

Taylor is absolutely incencsed but Anderson isn’t paying a blind bit of notice, he’s over at Kerry blasting him on the neck and looking to put this one away! Kerry reaches inside to find his last piece of energy… and blasts Anderson with a low blow! The crowd erupts as Kerry gets back on to one knee, punching Anderson in the face and then back on two feet! The crowd are willing him on as he lines up another discuss punch… but Arn ducks underneath and locks in a side headlock… he turns it into a running bulldog and Kerry’s down again! Anderson goes for the pinfall…

1…

2…

NO!

Kerry gets a shoulder up! Arn locks in an armbar but Kerry refuses to yield… he crawls to the ropes… but they’re not going to help him… Arn doesn’t have to break the hold… he’s out of energy… and is forced to give up! Arn Anderson has done it!

Kerry Von Erich eliminated by Arn Anderson in 60:04

A weary Anderson punches the air in celebration while the announce team speculate what Anderson's choice will be...

Winner: Arn Anderson in 60:04

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/LarryZbyszko.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TullyBlanchard.jpg

A highlight video (including some footage from the AWA) airs showing the audience what's brought Larry Zbyszko and Tully Blanchard to this point and what's at stake.

AWA World Heavyweight Championship

'The Living Legend' Larry Zbyszko vs. Tully Blanchard ©

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/LarryZbyszko.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TullyBlanchard.jpg

Not given much of a build-up on NWA television thus far, this is in reality a continuation of a long running feud from the AWA and this is given a strong narrative by Colour Commentator Nick Bockwinkel who explains exactly what happened on Tully Blanchard’s arrival and how the two have failed to see eye to since, despite an apparent alliance in their early days. There’s no sign of any love loss between the two in this latest match though as Blanchard gives Zbyszko all that he’s got. Larry’s no slouch in the ring though and we are treated to a back and forth classic between two masters of their craft. Zbyszko gets a near fall when Blanchard walks into a German Suplex, kicking out at the last second to retain his title.

Realising that he was struggling to beat Zbyszko by any fair means, Blachard reached low into his tights and withdrew a pair of brass knuckles but, spotting the gleam on his hand, Zbyszko is quick enough to block the shot and rock Blanchard with a series of blows of his own, sending the knuckles over the top rope and to the arena floor.

As the match progressed, the degree of separation between the two seemed to shrink and the outcome was truly on a knife-edge…

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/ArnAnderson.jpg

Until Arn Anderson re-appeared at ringside! Fresh from his Bunkhouse Stampede victory, Anderson is offering moral support to his friend much to the disgust (and dis-trust) of both Zbyszko and Bockwinkel at the announcers’ table. Scooping low, Anderson fits the brass knuckles on to his hand and with a nod at Blanchard, is given the opportunity he’s been looking for, Tully catches Zbyszko with an unexpected drop toe hold that sends him sprawling into the ropes, Tully immediately turns and begins remonstrating that the referee was ‘too close’ to him, the distraction is all that Anderson needs and he nails Zbyszko in the head with the brass knucks before quickly sloping off to the other side of the ring and back in the referee’s eye-point. With Zbyszko unconscious on the ropes, Blanchard pulls him back into the centre of the ring and after a completely unnecessary elbow drop, makes the pinfall.

Winner and still AWA World Heavyweight Champion: Tully Blanchard by pinfall in 25:56

Grade: B+

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/RicFlair.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/HonkyTonkMan.jpg

Another highlight video - this time focusing on the NWA World Heavyweight title and The Honky Tonk Man's attack on Ric Flair.

NWA World Heavyweight Championship

'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs. The Honky Tonk Man

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/RicFlair.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/OleAnderson.jpg vs. http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/HonkyTonkMan.jpg

Although there hasn’t been much build to The Honky Tonk Man’s first title shot, it’s certainly been heated with Honky showing a lethal side lately. There’s a clear and mutual dislike on display in this match and both men go at it from the opening bell, looking to make the other hurt. Anyone who thought that HTM couldn’t step up to the main event was proven wrong as the Elvis impersonator suddenly made himself seem that much more dangerous than he has in the past. At one point he traps Flair in a camel clutch which he partly releases himself, only to pound into Flair’s face with closed fists for which he picks up a warning from the referee.

The tide turns in the favour of the champ when the Honky Tonk Man catches a kick attempt from Flair, only to be hit by the other leg in an enziguiri! Flair is quick to lock on a Figure Four and this match looks to be over after only 14 minutes… but Honky is able to make it the ropes, forcing Tommy Young to physically break the hold and give Flair an extremely stern talking to. This allow Honky time to refresh himself and the two are soon locking up again in the middle of the ring.

With over 30 minutes gone and Ric Flair seems to be in control when he accidentally whips The Honky Tonk Man into Earl Hebner, causing the refree to take a hit and fall to the canvas. Ole looks to the entrance way and starts to beckon…

Out comes Arn Anderson again! Arn hurries down to the ring and is making motions as if he’s about to enter the ring…

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/BarryWindham.jpghttp://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/Ritchardo_1979/JCP%20Diary%2088/TerryTaylor.jpg

But here comes Barry Windham & Terry Taylor! Taylor is remonstrating with the two Andersons and seems to be stopping Arn from entering the ring! Windham is in agreement and things appear to be turning ugly. Flair looks on baffled and tries to split up the argument. Honky Tonk is up… SHAKE RATTLE & ROLL! The champion is down and Honky wakes the referee! The four outside of the ring can’t get things together as he goes for the pinfall!!!

1…

2…

NO! Hebner’s count is so slow that Flair has enough time to get his shoulder back up! The Honky Tonk Man can’t believe it! He’s absolutely furious and feels he should be the World Champion! He turns and begins pointing fingers at Arn… Earl Hebner seems to be coming back to his senses and tells the Horsemen to leave the ring area including Ole much to his disgust… Honky watches them go… and doesn’t see Ric Flair come up behind him… roll-up!

1…

2…

NO!

Honky slips out of the pinfall but Flair has still got a hold of the leg! In the middle of the ring, it’s a figure four leglock! Honky is screaming out in agony and there’s nowhere left to go… he submits!

Winner and still NWA World Heavyweight Champion: Ric Flair by pinfall in 29:06

Overall Show Grade: B

--

Well, I hope you enjoyed the show! Thanks for all your comments and predictions. A fairly predictable show in the end but I take that as something of a good thing at least my booking seems to be making sense! It was only a B-show for me and I'm pretty pleased at how it's worked out.

Special thanks to Zergo who, as part of his prediction prize victory from the last competition chose the number 1, 2 & 20 entrants. (Zergon's other prize also lead to the hire of Billy Jack Haynes and the reformation of the Army of Darkness fact fans!)

Before the prediction contest results, here's the stats for the Stampede if anyone's interested:

Bunkhouse Stampede 1988

Total Eliminations

Barry Windham 3

Bob Orton Jr. 2

Bam Bam Bigelow 2

Jimmy Snuka 2

Kerry Von Erich 2

Arn Anderson 2

Hector Guerrero 1

Blackblood 1

The Lord of Pain 1

Kevin Von Erich 1

Dick Murdoch 1

Kevin Sullivan 1

Greg Gagne 1

Terry Taylor 1

Ring Time

Kerry Von Erich 33:04

Barry Windham 26:36

Dick Murdoch 26:28

Dusty Rhodes 25:02

Arn Anderson 21:04

Blackblood 19:41

Hector Guerrero 17:20

Jimmy Snuka 16:39

Kevin Sullivan 14:21

The Lord of Pain 13:41

Bob Orton Jr. 13: 11

Bam Bam Bigelow 10:17

Jerry Blackwell 9:31

Kevin Von Erich 9:03

Cocoa Samoa 7:27

Terry Taylor 4:57

Lex Luger 4:52

Jushin Liger 4:19

Greg Gagne 3:40

Tommy Rich 2:04

Prediction Contest

Thanks again for the predictions, the contest runs from now until Starrcade in November. I'll PM the winner with details of the prize(s) and yeah, that's pretty much it!

Zergon = 9

Smwilliams = 9

The Final Countdown = 9

guver3 = 9

LordofGustav = 8

pyroman = 8

|Anderz| = 7

Beejus = 7

borman48 = 7

K-Nection = 7

Bluestar = 6

franticloser = 6

emoasyou = 5

Thanks to everyone for your predictions, both regulars and new - you all, along with everyone who comments or who just clicks on the diary on the read it are the inspiration to keep on writing - thanks a lot guys and gals :).

--

I read this whole thing to date in one sitting. Very good stuff.

Why thank you very much! Very kind of you to say so and I'm glad it was interesting enough to keep you reading for 10+ pages!

I liked the Larry Z. promo--and it drew an A to boot! Was that your first A rated segment?

Yeah, that kind of sold me on what I already suspected... Larry's going to be a bit of a player for me! It's not actually my first - Nick Bockwinkel brought an A in an interview before his first match with Naitch and then he and Dusty had a promo with Flair & Orton before their tag re-match. The B+ match he had with Tully though is a MOTYC for me at the moment - not checked but it was pretty close to an A and I think might've pipped The Fabs vs Flair/Orton which was my number 1...

I'd consider Larry Z. to be the Piper/Roberts of the WWF. Can put up a good to great match and is always good in segments. One for the long term feuds who doesn't need a title to be over.

It's a good comparison and as I said above, I think he could be a real big player for me over the next few months. Looking forward to seeing what else he can bring for me.

If there is anyway I can change one of my pics I change it to Dusty Rhodes to take the stampede instead of Bam Bam. I was grasping for Bam Bam but I can see he wont be 1# contender status yet.

Sure... you still lost though! :p

Bam Bam is definitely a bright prospect for the future but you're right - he's not ready for a run at the top quite yet, and I doubt Kev would let him anyway...

Now Flair is a victim of circumstances... he might have defended his NWA World Title against that Elvis cartoon, but now he's facing a big problem.... he's trapped in the crossfire between the team of Anderson & Blanchard and the team of Taylor & Windham.... where he will stand? Who side is he on?

Archived