<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="creepshow" data-cite="creepshow" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41258" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This, I think, gets back to my point on product styles potentially limiting sponsorship, but at the same time I think there's no set number crunching method of what works best as the economy and industry are both, effectively, random....and each product style will get different results.<p> </p><p> I think a lot of this goes back to really just limiting costs and ultimately over a long enough period of time you'll start making a profit if you stick with it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The problem I'm encountering is that it feels like with only a 6 month window there's no way to get to the point where you can make a profit before you go bankrupt if you start with $0, unless you are getting an above average amount of pop per show :/</p>

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>My data is a fed started in Mid-South. It is also started in the cv97 mod (I was testing earlier booking strategies as I have some cards written down which I played in tew13 a few months back to compare) but I cannot see why that would be much of an impact as I don't think sponsorship amounts were changed much by Derek B in a mod in the same universe...</p><p> </p><p>

I ended up with pop at 4 after 8 shows so,mi was getting a half point a show (a little less then in 2013 but again, I wasn't putting on great shows with the auto Booker (E ish) I think if you book to get some D shows, I think the pop jump is more... </p><p> </p><p>

But I would say that Location would be a huge impact, Australia is less big, so less sponsors maybe? Mid-South has high importance? I never considered this very much </p><p> </p><p>

(goes back to see if I missed any requested info)</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="John Lions" data-cite="John Lions" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41258" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The problem I'm encountering is that it feels like with only a 6 month window there's no way to get to the point where you can make a profit before you go bankrupt if you start with $0, unless you are getting an above average amount of pop per show :/</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This is why we have been playing with the number of shows in the first month. By running a bunch (four seems like the ideal number), and then having a period without shows to recoup costs (or one show a month if you are already getting freak sponsorships) that you can be solvent by month six.</p>

<p>I don't know what to tell you to put your mind at ease without going past the 2 month period.</p><p> </p><p>

I'd have to look deeper into my company's popularity to see if maybe I somehow accrued some spillover popularity which may give me additional sponsorship money.</p><p> </p><p>

That said, at the end of the trial period I was making literally about $600 per day in sponsorship money. Perhaps the "Estimated Sponsorship" money is inaccurate when running more than one show per month? Remember you're essentially gaming the system. It still sees one show per month on your schedule. This may throw off the estimates in some way.</p>

<p>Ah, just seen you're not having spillover effects! What if that's it, in Mid-South, I got spillover of 1 popularity in about 3 or 4 other areas. If my </p><p>

Sponsorship has been added because of those percentages too, that would explain why my Estimated Sponsership is better then others. </p><p> </p><p>

However that really favours companies started in certain areas, meaning Hawaii is an impossible place to start a company.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="John Lions" data-cite="John Lions" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41258" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> The economy is also tanking at 30 in this sim, but I don't think that should make or break whether a local company can stay alive.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> But... Maybe it should! Who in their right minds starts a new business which needs money to survive the first months, with no money, in an economy really awful, or in a location which is isolated and does not have a huge wrestling market? </p><p> </p><p> We're only playing the scenario for a challenge, knowing the econmomy and industry are random when the game starts. If we could pick our time, we wouldn't open a business In those circumstances. In gane, if you're good enough to start your own company, even on Rock Hard, you start with 1k and a popularity of 10 in one area (with plenty of sponsorship). </p><p> </p><p> So maybe,.. Just maybe... You have a very real possibility that failure is a inevatibitly if you do a 0/0/0/0 in the wrong situation. It makes some sense. (And will make a road to glory challenge truly hard (or at least, it's start truely random))</p>

Ok I'm currently trying the experiment now and I'm already seeing some things that I'm doing that nobody has mentioned.

Offer Hiring Vetos

There is still those old bag of tricks like giving good personality workers hiring veto. I'm personally a huge stickler for not having locker room cancers so if I got guys who are causing trouble I usually cut them with no regrets. Giving this perk to my good personality guys will make their price tag go down and I don't have to worry about them getting in the way of important hires.

Offer contracts that have event only

Honestly you will not be running TV Shows so go ahead and offer this to all of your guys. When you do get TV (which will most likely when you hit Cult) you will be angling for written contracts anyway.

No Downside offers!

You are not the SWF or any kind of big leauger so don't offer downside contracts. The way I'm seeing sponsorship handled I only planning running a handful of shows a year. You are making merch money every day so why not take a break in between shows. You don't get any sponsorship until you have some pop so give yourself room to recover.....

Hire with your wallet in mind

Go after those Rookies! Who cares if they barely have pop you have none so they just go out there and have a farting contest it will not hurt your pop any. The only direction your company can go is up so them doing anything will raise it.

When the full game comes out I will be able to see the long term effects of doing this strategy but I think this is the way to go.

Ok I'm currently trying the experiment now and I'm already seeing some things that I'm doing that nobody has mentioned.

Offer Hiring Vetos

There is still those old bag of tricks like giving good personality workers hiring veto. I'm personally a huge stickler for not having locker room cancers so if I got guys who are causing trouble I usually cut them with no regrets. Giving this perk to my good personality guys will make their price tag go down and I don't have to worry about them getting in the way of important hires.

Offer contracts that have event only

Honestly you will not be running TV Shows so go ahead and offer this to all of your guys. When you do get TV (which will most likely when you hit Cult) you will be angling for written contracts anyway.

No Downside offers!

You are not the SWF or any kind of big leauger so don't offer downside contracts. The way I'm seeing sponsorship handled I only planning running a handful of shows a year. You are making merch money every day so why not take a break in between shows. You don't get any sponsorship until you have some pop so give yourself room to recover.....

When the full game comes out I will be able to see the long term effects of doing this strategy but I think this is the way to go.

I don't think those problems are something we're having trying the 0/0/0/0 company. It costs 2.3k per show, and with a ref and a road agent and 6 wrestlers, you're gonna need to spend about 2k-2.5k on workers for the most part (1.6k I think is near absolute minimum) if you're not the owner and the owner is laying themselves lots, even more. Downsides are normally defaulted to zero, and events only and other perks such don't reduce the prices that much from what I have seen - though maybe I should try it with a 10 skill in negotiating to see if I can get the price down even further.

The issue is, you have to do X number of shows quickly, to get your Sponsership per month > a single show cost... Otherwise you'll never be in the green. Then it's a case of balancing show to Sponsership in an attempt to get out of the red within 6 months. It looks tight, and I think designed that way. If you get a year in the red, it's easily doable. If you had more money to begin with it's doable, if you start with some additional popularity (just two points) it's doable. I think it's amazingly well balanced for a few fun small to local games (which in the past, was just a grind).

I don't think those problems are something we're having trying the 0/0/0/0 company. It costs 2.3k per show, and with a ref and a road agent and 6 wrestlers, you're gonna need to spend about 2k-2.5k on workers for the most part (1.6k I think is near absolute minimum) if you're not the owner and the owner is laying themselves lots, even more. Downsides are normally defaulted to zero, and events only and other perks such don't reduce the prices that much from what I have seen - though maybe I should try it with a 10 skill in negotiating to see if I can get the price down even further.

The issue is, you have to do X number of shows quickly, to get your Sponsership per month > a single show cost... Otherwise you'll never be in the green. Then it's a case of balancing show to Sponsership in an attempt to get out of the red within 6 months. It looks tight, and I think designed that way. If you get a year in the red, it's easily doable. If you had more money to begin with it's doable, if you start with some additional popularity (just two points) it's doable. I think it's amazingly well balanced for a few fun small to local games (which in the past, was just a grind).

Why do you have a road agent?....why are you trying to accomplish being green in 6 months?

Why do you have a road agent?....why are you trying to accomplish being green in 6 months?

Well, I guess you could knock the road agent on the head and just sub in and out the wrestlers not used in the match, but at best you're gonna cut a shows cost by a couple of hundred...

I believe you could only run a local fed in the red for six months before bankruptcy, as seen a Derek B quote from earlier in the thread, so the purpose of getting back in the greed is to not fold. If 6 months is not the limit, then most of the dilemma is taken away, as after putting On 4 shows of debt in the first month, it would be less of a shamble to get that money back again over the course of 8 months to a year - even in a worse economy.

I also agree with the sentiment that, yes, maybe you should be at more risk of going bankrupt in a bad economy.

I mean, simply put, I know you don't get a say in the economy (as it's random) of your desired company...but in a real world scenario you'd be crazy to start a business in a crap economy with zero starting capital!

I guess at this point I want to know if the insane struggle it is to survive as a 0/0/0/0 is intentional or if it's supposed to be such a crap shoot. I know that the Road to Glory challenge was one of the more popular community developments in the recent TEW franchises, and with the income and 6 month window to make money as they are, it becomes less of a challenge and more of a grind. If we're the people who play these 0/0/0/0 games the most, and we are all struggling and theorycrafting on how we can not go bankrupt to the point where we have to soft reset for decent economies and wrestling worlds, how do you think the average Road to Glory player from TEW2013 would feel? I feel like it's immersion breaking to have to run a bunch of shows your first month and sit on your hands from five for every Road to Glory and reset for specific world states.

I understand the difficulty, but having to metagame to run all your shows in your first month and make sponsorship money over the next five (which makes as little sense as getting sponsorship money when you have never run a show and have no popularity anyway) makes the game focus almost entirely on "sim" and less on "wrestling". It's a doable challenge (though very difficult), but requiring resets for favorable conditions and very specific booking makes it feel less like running a local wrestling company and more like playing a wrestling sim game, if that makes sense.

I'd just like to hear from Adam if it is intentionally supposed to be this difficult or if it's a bit overtuned. If the 0/0/0/0 was scaled purely for the sim challenge, then I understand and things like the RTG can get adjusted once we get the full game on our hands and can play a couple test runs.

I'd just like to hear from Adam if it is intentionally supposed to be this difficult or if it's a bit overtuned. If the 0/0/0/0 was scaled purely for the sim challenge, then I understand and things like the RTG can get adjusted once we get the full game on our hands and can play a couple test runs.

From the Dev Journal:

Mar 31: Bankruptcy Leniency

New companies now get extra leniency from bankruptcy; the extra time gives them a chance to establish themselves and leads to less companies having a very short lifespan.

Granted, I don't know how long that leniency applies, but in theory you should have ample time to get your finances in order.

I guess at this point I want to know if the insane struggle it is to survive as a 0/0/0/0 is intentional or if it's supposed to be such a crap shoot. I know that the Road to Glory challenge was one of the more popular community developments in the recent TEW franchises, and with the income and 6 month window to make money as they are, it becomes less of a challenge and more of a grind. If we're the people who play these 0/0/0/0 games the most, and we are all struggling and theorycrafting on how we can not go bankrupt to the point where we have to soft reset for decent economies and wrestling worlds, how do you think the average Road to Glory player from TEW2013 would feel? I feel like it's immersion breaking to have to run a bunch of shows your first month and sit on your hands from five for every Road to Glory and reset for specific world states.

I understand the difficulty, but having to metagame to run all your shows in your first month and make sponsorship money over the next five (which makes as little sense as getting sponsorship money when you have never run a show and have no popularity anyway) makes the game focus almost entirely on "sim" and less on "wrestling". It's a doable challenge (though very difficult), but requiring resets for favorable conditions and very specific booking makes it feel less like running a local wrestling company and more like playing a wrestling sim game, if that makes sense.

If you're playing 0/0/0/0 you're already focusing more on sim than on wrestling anyway imo.

Personally, I hired a road agent so I don't have to manually assign one to each match...it may sound stupid but I think it's worth the in-game cost, plus I only plan on being in the hole for, at most, a year.

I can tell you from personal experience there is no such thing as a road agent on the local level....the promoter is the booker and if you needed any guidance on your matches you sought out vets in the locker room. All you need is the 2 most experienced guys as the ones you pick for this task. You are not spending any additional money as you are probably using them to wrestle anyway.

I can tell you from personal experience there is no such thing as a road agent on the local level....the promoter is the booker and if you needed any guidance on your matches you sought out vets in the locker room. All you need is the 2 most experienced guys as the ones you pick for this task. You are not spending any additional money as you are probably using them to wrestle anyway.

Depends on the promotion. I've been in locker rooms where a guy not on the show is acting in such a capacity. It's also uncommon to see a locker room with only one ref at the local level, but are you going to hire 2 just to account for realism? I doubt it. Don't even get me started on the game's pay scale.

I don't disagree with you that there are serious discrepancies between the real world and the game, but it doesn't mean you should force yourself to play a certain way because the game doesn't account for it.

From the Dev Journal:

Granted, I don't know how long that leniency applies, but in theory you should have ample time to get your finances in order.

According to Derekb it's only 6 months for smaller companies :/

If you're playing 0/0/0/0 you're already focusing more on sim than on wrestling anyway imo.

I'd highly disagree, take a look at the Road to Glory threads in the 2013 and 2010 forums. All of those were 0/0/0/0. Or most of the 0/0/0/0 diaries from TEW2005 onward.

I cracked the code!!! What you do is stack up about 2-3 months in merch funds run your first show with the cheapest workers around (no road agents) run your first show which for me put me about 3 grand in the hole....I get 750 in sponsorship funds afterwards. Dont run another show until you are in the green rinse and repeat!

I really think it is intentional, and I honestly believe that Road to Glory will make adjustments for this, they don't do a 0/0/0/0 anyway but a 0/0/0/1000... All they would need to do is say, give 0/0/0/20,000 and then it's back to s nice calm balance for traditional RtG players. I would do this too, or again, skip to 0/0/8 to 10 pop/0 which I do in 2013 as, I didn't see much happening those first 10 odd shows (it's something I think most new people should normally try when new to the game - but it's like doing the Skyrim tutorial each time you start a new character, in that you dos,most the same things again and again until you kill the first dragon and open up the game).

(RtG may go one further actually and say that this is a 20k loan which you justness back 25k after year one in the editor because RtG likes doing editor adjustments)

The 0/0/0/0 challenge is harder then what RtG ever prescribed - and this year will be harder still as Adam has stated.

I am finding it initially interesting as local to me, was always a tutorial of game mechanics (my first ever cverse games was the creation of a completely unknown company as I learned boing strategies with no pressure to exceed and established grade per show of the established rosters) but it's changed to more of an extreme challenge.

I cracked the code!!! What you do is stack up about 2-3 months in merch funds run your first show with the cheapest workers around (no road agents) run your first show which for me put me about 3 grand in the hole....I get 750 in sponsorship funds afterwards. Dont run another show until you are in the green rinse and repeat!

Running multiple shows in the first month is more profitable as then not only are you getting all the merchandise money you are referencing, but you also roll in all the sponsor money that entire time. You get to have more wrestling and get back in the black faster. Four shows seems to be the agreed upon amount, but I am testing the balance of different worker costs to see if I can find a point where we could run five (or be able to have a shorter off season).

I am currently finding what is the cheapest roster I can build in the US with 10 for my negotiation skill and see how running four shows differs from the data I got for page one from playing in the editor. Will report the data when I finish it.

Skipping months for Sponsership at 750 won't work very well, as I think you'll start leaking popularity after not being seen for a month and that number will decrease, but I haven't tested that I a while. (That and waiting for passive Sponsership for months at a time isn't very interesting).

I had forgotten about the 'Draw' system and merc funds... Merc is something I never paid much attention to as it was always tiny when compared to sponsorship at low level and always tiny when compared to ticket sales at mid level and always tiny compared to ppv sales at higher level (ppv death will be something new to deal with - haven't looked into that, or the network deals, or other high end revenue streams at all yet - wish I had lots more time this week). Could I sang a big name or several (as allowable) on PPA but not use them and revel in their merc sales? I've no idea.

Edit note: I am liking this - I think regular players normally get a bit stuck in their ways - even going from game to game. A lot of people posted that their booking won't change very much, and maybe show to show that will be the case. But I think lots of old strategies in the game world will need to be adjusted, such as the no easy Sponsership in the Unknown company, ppv death and new broadcast options, being compared on star power at national battles and being compared to other companies levels in production... It's made the business side of the game a lot more varied, - let alone the Ai is better, the characters in the locker room look more alive, etc. Three years was well worth the wait.

I'd like for the record to show that I'm a moron and apparently didn't start out at 0% pop...

What I did was "create a promotion" at "Rock Hard"....which is apparently NOT 0% pop.

I was getting way more spillover money than I should have, because my pop in my home region was 9% at the end of month 2. I already had 4 and 2 % pop in other regions.

I'd like for the record to show that I'm a moron and apparently didn't start out at 0% pop...

What I did was "create a promotion" at "Rock Hard"....which is apparently NOT 0% pop.

I was getting way more spillover money than I should have, because my pop in my home region was 9% at the end of month 2. I already had 4 and 2 % pop in other regions.

Noted. Well, this explains a lot at least. :p

So, was checking out the player handbook and read this during the Managing Your Finances Section regarding bankrupt.

"If a company ends the month with a negative amount of cash, it increased the bank's annoyance by one (count hidden). If annoyance goes past a certain level, the company will be declaired bankrupt. The Annoyance level is based on the size of the company and how long it has been in business. The lowest possible limit is 6 months, the largest is 5 years. It returns to zero when the company finishes the month with a positive amount of cash"

"NB: Companies that have been in business for less than one year get special consideration and do not increase the bank's annoyance at all, even if they have negative cash"

There we have it, we have 18 months to get out of the red! That is plenty I think based on our findings of two months! It really offers some leeway (as we were saying 6 months was tight, but just about possible in the right circumstances)

Case Closed!

Archived