Did Angry Gilmore win the world title because SWF's top talent was weak at that point? Could someone give me a backstory on him winning the big belt please.

His profile description implies this was the case, yes.

There's no real C-Verse backstory anymore, by the way. Everything post-Cornellverse website blog is just head cannon and reading through profiles.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His profile description implies this was the case, yes.

There's no real C-Verse backstory anymore, by the way. Everything post-Cornellverse website blog is just head cannon and reading through profiles.

Do you think Gilmore is SWF World Championship material?

I know I do. He is a great in-ring wrestler with mic skills and decent star quality. I think of him as Daniel Bryan like, in that he might not be Eisen's idea of a champion but he is someone the "smart" fans would knock each other over to get behind.

Awesome thanks for the input. Im super new to the cverse. I saw Angry Gilmore won the BHOTWG Jr heavyweight title and a render of him looking like Steve Austin almost with the jacket, and it really caught my eye. Its cool going back into old school mods too and seeing workers show up in smaller mods. Im currently playing SWF 77. Is there any prospects I should keep a look out on ?

The way I've always perceived Gilmore being the champion in TEW 2016 in my head was that he was passed by due to other super over wrestlers while he was the workhorse in the uppermidcard in previous games, and in this game he's still the same popularity, as champion, is old, not as good, and doesn't have the same level of talent around him to put him in "Big Name vs Smark Favorite" angles anymore.

And I'm saying this as a guy that almost always made Gilmore the champion through building him out of the uppermidcard to the main event in previous games, by the way. He's one of my favorite characters in the C-Verse.

Who is the most untraditional person you put the world title on?

I love giving Joe Sexy and Robbie Retro runs with the belt. I stole Dusty Ducont and made him a Runaway Train type in one save as well.

Curious who everybody else likes to push for fun!

This comment got me thinking about what the SWF-watching smark would sound like. Here are a couple of sound-bytes:

"Angry Gilmore used to be awesome. But when he got the main event push, it was about five years too late, and the Fed killed his move-set. Now he does the same dumb routine every match, and his promos don't have as much life as they used to."

"Joey Morgan is trash. He's like current Angry Gilmore, except he's been that way his entire career. You know his reverse STO finish? I like to call it "The Complete S--t". It's THAT bad. Why couldn't we poach someone talented from TCW?"

"Well, at least we didn't get Rick Law. Rick has to be the worst wrestler getting a near main event level push in North America right now. Terrible gimmick, no charisma or acting skills, generic big man moveset. Put that together and what've you got? A craptastic wrestler!"

"Squeeky McClean is awesome. If you disagree, go watch North Of The Border Of Being Entertaining Pro Wrestling or something."

Oh no! Am I an SWF watching smark?! Other than thinking McClean is awesome lol

Who is the most untraditional person you put the world title on?

I love giving Joe Sexy and Robbie Retro runs with the belt. I stole Dusty Ducont and made him a Runaway Train type in one save as well.

Curious who everybody else likes to push for fun!

It took until 2020 but I put the World Title on Zimmy Bumfhole for a six month run.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Joshdb" data-cite="Joshdb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41303" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Who is the most untraditional person you put the world title on?<p> </p><p> I love giving Joe Sexy and Robbie Retro runs with the belt. I stole Dusty Ducont and made him a Runaway Train type in one save as well.</p><p> </p><p> Curious who everybody else likes to push for fun!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I dunno how untraditional he is, but I always try to push Paul Huntingdon as a top star in almost all of my SWF games. Usually he's pretty easy as a heel to get over, but in one game I had him as my top babyface after Jack Bruce retired and Spencer Spade was still too young.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="FlippantFox" data-cite="FlippantFox" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41303" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I dunno how untraditional he is, but I always try to push Paul Huntingdon as a top star in almost all of my SWF games. Usually he's pretty easy as a heel to get over, but in one game I had him as my top babyface after Jack Bruce retired and Spencer Spade was still too young.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> What kind of Face Gimmick, did you give Paul Huntingdon, of all people?</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="King Bison" data-cite="King Bison" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41303" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Oh no! Am I an SWF watching smark?! Other than thinking McClean is awesome lol</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Squeeky got wrestler of the year in my save.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Joshdb" data-cite="Joshdb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41303" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Who is the most untraditional person you put the world title on?<p> </p><p> I love giving Joe Sexy and Robbie Retro runs with the belt. I stole Dusty Ducont and made him a Runaway Train type in one save as well.</p><p> </p><p> Curious who everybody else likes to push for fun!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Robbie Retro was a Next Big Thing in a save I had and his run to the World Title was the most satisfying thing I've booked in all the time I've played TEW. He had excellent chemistry with Valiant and they ended up being Main Eventers and serving under Jack Bruce in his war against Rich Money, Eric Eisan, and Remo. Valiant ended up doing a movie and came back with A* Pop and I gave him the title, only for Robbie Retro to turn on him and becoming my number one heel and having to prove to himself that he was better than Valiant. </p><p> </p><p> It was definitely one of those saves where after working all the way towards the goal I had no use for it after.</p><p> </p><p> But to answer your question, Sammy Smoke is my eternal boy and will always be pushed. Oliver Kobb had a fun mid-card run as "The Southern Spoiler" who never said die and picked up wins he shouldn't have, one time he lost to Remo but survived long enough to prevent Remo from winning a Beat The Clock Challange that led to a fun two-week mini-feud. Jefferson Stardust is usually the featured part of his team and treated like a future star, and if I can sign him Jacob Jett has a "Neville in 205 Live" style run.</p>

Squeeky got wrestler of the year in my save.

Squeeky was the wrestler of the year my most recent save for the year 2017. Then he got an 8 month back injury just before the Supreme Challenge and then came back and was addicted to pain killers and in and out of rehab for most of 2019. It's the start of 2020 and now he's back but is listed under my Time decline screen as 4 years past his prime. So I got to capitalize on his skills for only a short time frame. :-(

• 3 months later...

Never have gotten past the first month in any save with a company over Cult size in all my years of playing this game. But I've been watching some 2004-6 WWE. (some of my favourite stuff... I always feel nostalgic over this period.) Anyway, it put me in the mood to try, so I decided to start a SWF save.

Dealt a tough hand to start. Skull DeBones is 8 years into terminal decline, and Jack Bruce isn't far off the mark at 5 years in decline. I thought I might have to bite the bullet and replace Jack as my figurehead, but the Economy is at F+ and the Industry is at E+. Not feeling like the economy is in good enough shape to take the hit of loosing a figurehead just now. May need to see how long Jack can go before he finally topples over into terminal decline. Hopefully things turn around sooner rather than later.

I feel like USPW may be about to eat my lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody else push Remo as the top face? In the default data Bruce is getting up in age and Gilmore was my other top guy but I thought the fans would get behind Remo as a Lesner type beast who just happened to beat up people the fans hated. I think that sort of visceral power plays well, more so when directed at the "bad guys". I use Bruce as my heel champ.

It wasn't the "perfect world" option but it was the best among the available options (along with Gilmore but he gets a heavy push too) until I could get someone else over. The only issue for me was I couldn't get A matches out of him. B absolutely but A not so much. I put the title on him but I could get better match grades from other workers.

So any tips on match notes for a huge athletic brawler whose non brawling top row skills are "meh" and the performance skills are good but not great?

Anybody else push Remo as the top face? In the default data Bruce is getting up in age and Gilmore was my other top guy but I thought the fans would get behind Remo as a Lesner type beast who just happened to beat up people the fans hated. I think that sort of visceral power plays well, more so when directed at the "bad guys". I use Bruce as my heel champ.

It wasn't the "perfect world" option but it was the best among the available options (along with Gilmore but he gets a heavy push too) until I could get someone else over. The only issue for me was I couldn't get A matches out of him. B absolutely but A not so much. I put the title on him but I could get better match grades from other workers.

So any tips on match notes for a huge athletic brawler whose non brawling top row skills are "meh" and the performance skills are good but not great?

Whenever I run into that situation I hire a bunch of "lackeys" for my main heel (in SWF ususally Eric Eisen, but in my current SWF save he jumped ship,) that have good basics/psych. SWF is sometimes harder with the Risque settings, but you can get Bryan Holmes, Thrill Seeker, Nicolas Lopez, I think Air Attack Weasel and Clark Alexander. You could also do "outsider" open challenges on the weekly shows if you don't want to go on a hiring spree, where you take on the best of other companies and the indies (Nicolas Lopez starts as the COTT champion, for example on one appearance deals.)

Another thought is to simply put Remo in post show battle royals. It fits fiction (sometimes companies do post show matches to send the crowd home happy and entice people to buy tickets.) The mechanics of battle royals are a bit gimmicky when it comes to gaining skills, but if you don't mind that it's probably the best way as it gives the most chances, but it also might affect momentum of other workers so keep that in mind.

• 2 months later...
Playing 2008 SWF and decided to do a program with Gilmore/Bruce. Gilmore loses and ends up getting super over after a few wins to the point where hes's our number one guy! I had them feud over the belt and eventually gilmore won it... 8 years early! It was so much fun and got a 94 rating.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Kluge" data-cite="Kluge" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41303" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Robbie Retro was a Next Big Thing in a save I had and his run to the World Title was the most satisfying thing I've booked in all the time I've played TEW. He had excellent chemistry with Valiant and they ended up being Main Eventers and serving under Jack Bruce in his war against Rich Money, Eric Eisan, and Remo. Valiant ended up doing a movie and came back with A* Pop and I gave him the title, only for Robbie Retro to turn on him and becoming my number one heel and having to prove to himself that he was better than Valiant. <p> </p><p> It was definitely one of those saves where after working all the way towards the goal I had no use for it after.</p><p> </p><p> But to answer your question, Sammy Smoke is my eternal boy and will always be pushed. Oliver Kobb had a fun mid-card run as "The Southern Spoiler" who never said die and picked up wins he shouldn't have, one time he lost to Remo but survived long enough to prevent Remo from winning a Beat The Clock Challange that led to a fun two-week mini-feud. Jefferson Stardust is usually the featured part of his team and treated like a future star, and if I can sign him Jacob Jett has a "Neville in 205 Live" style run.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I recall a time I tried to push Robby Retro. I never got very far in that particular save but I recall having quite a bit of luck getting him over by having him lead the crowd in the YMCA Song during his entrances. Good times.</p>

Well I'm really enjoying what will probably be my last save before 2020 hits.

This time I resisted the urge to spend on established stars and instead focused on building my own young stars. Here are some:

Mikey Lau - he has a wolverine style intense fighter gimmick who slays giants. Among his victims are Khoklow, Brandon and Remo. I put the SWF World title on him at the June PPV in a six way match then he retained by beating the former champion Jack Bruce at Supreme Challenge 2016. I liked this since the expected outcome is Lau gets a fluke title win and then loses it back in the rematch.

Jack Bruce = Jericho. After he lost the title he disappeared for a couple of months then came back as a redeemed babyface.

Jimmy Hernandez - New Name "Lance Joy". I started as a Jimmy Fallon type entertaining face then he morphed into a megachurch pastor type (turning heel). He's way over and I thought about putting the title on him but decided to keep it on Lau. His stable is the House of Joy (with his deacons McClean, Joe Sexy and Huntington plus the dark sie of Joy: Scythe).

Spencer Spade - Renamed Sebastian Shaw he is a heel talk show host. In a feud with Lumis (Kirk Jamison). Lumis is a cross between Elias and a medieval bard. I used Dawn as his lady (whom he stole from Shaw) to get him over. Lumis just lost a match to Shaw and must be his servant for 60 days though with tight restrictions (Shaw cannot harm him nor tell him to harm others. He cannot be ordered to "throw a match". If Shaw does any of these the servitude is over. If Lumis disobeys any "lawful order" he is banned for life).

I plan for Lumis and Shaw to bond and become almost a team. Then Shaw orders Lumis to attack someone (assuming they are now allies) and Lumis hits Shaw. They go before Commissioner Faith and the ruling is in Lumis' favor since Shaw ordered him to attack a wrestler.

KC Glenn now Heli Kairos using the render from the Cornellverse 2018 (kinda has a Greek look about him). The "Greek Freak" does his talking in the ring through the air.

Gino Montero - The Guevara to Bruce's Jericho but takes over after Bruce loses the title and disappears. But they haven't confronted each other yet.

Matthew Keith - my next champ. Emma Chase is his manager, rocketing to the top. Might turn him face.

Remo - barely lost to Lau inside the cage. The Black militant Des Davids tried to get Remo to join him and wreak vengeance, claiming the "man" is keeping them down. Remo acknowledges that Lau won clean in the cage (after complaining that Lau's "flash pinfall" prior was a bad call and it was). So Remo is a face now.

The Bumfholes are now Amazing Grace. They had a huge feud with The Awesomeness. They did a double turn after Amazing Grace won the titles so Emma signed Amazing Grace and fired The Awesomeness. Since the ladder match (a rematch at Supreme Challenge where Amazing Grace retained the titles and was then signed by Chase) I figured those two teams fought enough so they are now in separate stories as The Awesomeness tries to climb back up for a title shot. They rejected Lance Joy's offer to join him and are feuding with the Deacons of Joy (McClean & Sexy).

Nelson Kallum - Now Krippler Kallum using the "Lobster Warrior is now The Crippler" render. I'm putting him over Skull DeBones. I want DeBones to get the last laugh (like Faith, see below). DeBones also had a feud with Tyson Baine. Began on Supreme Challenge as a dream match and ended on Halloween with Debones winning both times (and losing in the middle).

Christian Faith - put over Gino Montero twice but despite Montero being faster and younger Faith beat him in his final match at Supreme Challenge. Now he's Commissioner Faith.

Thanks to whoever read all that. Its been fun.