Your Weaknesses/Bias/Shortcomings/Tropes As a Booker

I always find this an interesting concept.

Where do you know you're biased? Even when you try not to be?

For instance, I am biased towards generational-talent and family lineages. I love hiring second or third generation wrestlers or cousins or nieces/nephews.

I also have a weakness for large rosters. My rosters are always significantly larger than they need to be. Even when I don't want to hire new talent, I can't stop myself sometimes. I justify it with the concept that I play as smaller-level companies, so having a large roster just means I have a large pool of indy guys that I could contact for that particular show, but sometimes I feel bad looking at a roster that is bigger than it needs to be.

I'm also a sucker for a damn hoss or cowboy.

What about you?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Interesting topic.</p><p> </p><p>

For me it is also the draw of a large roster, especially when using real life / historic mods</p><p> </p><p>

Trying not to sign everyone then running too many shows to try and use them all... </p><p> </p><p>

Also pushing people far too early, again in historic mods this is often an issue not helped by certain workers being too good at 17, 18 in the game to ignore</p>

<p>I am definitely biased towards renders -- specifically ones I don't like. I won't use them even if they are amazing workers. Thankfully there are very cool people like SMW above who make good renders that I can swap in or use as free workers for workers without a good render.</p><p> </p><p>

I spend a lot of time trying to make sure I am not cheating the system so I'm in the backend more than playing to see if my roster count is about what the AI would have or if I'm putting on too many post and pre shows to boost improvement.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm also really bad with having people with anything less than neutral momentum. I don't like to see it and think I'd go crazy if I did not play in Japan with young lions to dump a lot of losses on. It is such a natural thing in wrestling but the concept that companies keep people around who constantly lose is hard to swallow in kayfabe.</p>

<p>Large roster. Playing as a small company just means someone will pick them off eventually. So that is my rationale.</p><p> </p><p>

Evil foreigners (or the perception of evil foreigners).</p><p> </p><p>

Stables. Love me some stables. Also an excuse for the roster size.</p><p> </p><p>

I will hire people because of their bio. Of there is something there I can possibly build on, they get a job. Might not happen, but you get a shot.</p>

I only play real-world and historic mods, so it really depends on which mod. I can tell you, I always like to try to push The Warlord to the WWF title as a monster heel. I also have a soft spot for Bo Dallas. I'm not even a fan of these two in real life, but there is something about pushing them to the top that I find enjoyable.

I always gravitate towards tag team main events. Not tag wrestling, but 4 main eventers wrestling. I find it difficult to make singles matches for the title, so I do that for something different. It's an easy solution but I would never want to watch that in real life, unless there was a massive hook.

Another thing I do is put the tag titles on really over singles guys, practically in every save. It's easier than building teams, even though it's always a pain in the ass getting the titles off them.

I'm another large roster player. With TCW at Large size, I'm carrying about 60 on my main roster, and probably 30+ in development. As a result, I tend to run too many multi-man tag matches in the lower card just to get my guys in the ring on TV. I usually push brawlers or technicians over other styles.

Can't help but have a massive roster. In my TCW game where I'm in November of 2023, I have 108 people on the main roster. Plus, I have two development companies, people I send on excursion or NYCW. So I find it hard to trim my roster when it gets really big.

I think I also struggle with gradually fazing people down as I elevate people, if that makes sense. I get really worried about workers complaining about losing to someone of lower popularity that I end up with at least 20 people who are at star level popularity. Which is a good problem, but a problem regardless.

I get so far into a game then look back and think i could do that better and start a new save.

I build mods get so far then get my head turned by another era or get into something else, so i have a real world 2020 and attitude era 2001 mod half done because i cant keep fpcused on one thing, but hey its a hobby.

First few times around I noticed the same problems by the time the saves got stale. I would sign too many workers, go for any prospective and/or lineal talent and pay far too much for them on long contracts. Eventually I would be stuck with a bunch of guys I wanted to put over and barely any decent talent to get a good rating. Or worse, the wrestlers would go ice cold and I'm just desperately running show after show forcing these ice cold wrestlers on a crowd that is dwindling.

Now I think my major problem is hiring too many gaijins into a Japanese fed. Recently I realized I just hit about 50/50 Japanese workers to gaijin workers in a fed based out of Kanto. I created two saves and now have two storylines. One where my fed moved to Los Angeles and rebranded as global fed, and another where I held a huge war angle and ousted about 35% of the gaijins at the end of that storyarc. Both are running pretty smoothly right now. The LA storyline, the fed grew and I ended up making a Japanese development company back in Kanto for the workers not panning out in LA. The "stays in Japan" storyline, worked out better in popularity and I started a dojo instead of going to the US West Coast.

I tend to get really repetitive with touring cards. I have a setup that works as far as letting the main event and other big matches shine and I stick to it.

I tend to book really slow on putting people over guys above them unless they are hires that are in the middle of a push. If I have a #1 and a #2 guy, the second guy will rarely see wins over the number one guy. Worse for 3 on down. My top guys are super protected.

My title reigns can get really long. I'm talking years.

I will sometimes abandon guys I pushed when they reach their "peak" and not have them do anything beyond getting wins over guys under them. Forever. And yet I re-sign them jealously to huge contracts so SWF can't steal them.

<p>Long heel title reigns and never really long face reigns (They're boring to book). Always gravitating back towards main champion being a huge wrestler/dominant wrestler and giving them a mouthpiece (Maybe I'm Vince?)</p><p> </p><p>

Fuyuko Higa Wins Lol.</p><p> </p><p>

Barely repeating tag titles run as they split up or leave.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Kluge" data-cite="Kluge" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51960" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Let's open the show with an 8-10 minute talking segment. At this point I really don't know what Wolf Hawkins and Aaron Andrews / Rocky Golden and Scythe say to each other.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I got back into wrestling around 2000 (post WM) during the McMahon Helmsley Faction so was used to this and I am absolutely guilty of opening shows with a lengthy promo or dueling promos.</p>

<p>- I don't often set winners or losers, rather just leave it up to the AI. I blame the GM mode from the old Smackdown PS2 games. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson when Daviari won the World Championship.</p><p> </p><p>

- I prefer to hire the unemployed. If someone is working for another company, I will shortlist them, but rarely float an offer of an employment until they leave or get fired. I WILL make an exception if I'm at the spot where I can offer written contracts and a third company makes a written offer.</p>

<p>1) Having too many little fellas beating the big brutes. The brutes usually can manufacture their own "over" (moreso in previous games) and usually aren't great in the ring. There is no inherent penalty for being small of stature in the game (unlike in real life in the past where a smaller wrestler wouldn't be taken as seriously by mainstream fans, at least not in America). So I end up nerfing my big guys (individually and collectively) by having them job to the smaller, more talented workers. After awhile this would become formulaic.</p><p> </p><p>

2) Large roster - I really try but it always gets me.</p><p> </p><p>

3) Too many jobber matches - I do think modern wrestling has too many "equal" matches (how does one show they are at the top if they don't dominate those down the card on occasion) but I go too far the other way. </p><p> </p><p>

4) Everybody has to win - I book too many lower card wrestlers against each other to get them wins (very few on my roster are winless).</p><p> </p><p>

5) Storyline laziness - putting people in a random attack or talkie segment to advance a storyline without much thought.</p>