Death of the Territories v1.0 Released

This is an incredible update! I grew up watching this stuff and it's still got a place in my heart (even though I rarely watch wrestling anymore). I watched wrestling religiously from 83-90.

I'm on my 4th try taking a different wrestler. I've started over with each new version (and maybe once just because). I've tried Benoit, Muta, Sabu, and now I've started a game with Sting. It's much more difficult than the using the Cornellverse data! My biggest problem is getting hit with a Leaping Piledriver (and then losing) after dominating most of the match.

Maybe next time I'll take somebody from WCCW. I was a huge WCCW mark growing up.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or is it harder (almost impossible) to make friends if you're starting a game using a wrestler from the scenario rather than doing your own (Rookie to Legend). I never tried Superstar mode with the Cornellverse data, so I don't know if it's a Superstar vs Rookie to Legend thing. I've played about a month with Sting today and I haven't made one friend.

I've had the same thing happen where my try-out opponent who puts me over becomes my friend but I haven't made friend backstage like I'd do as a created rookie to legend wrestler in the default data. Very strange! Is it possible that it has to do with how no matter how nice you are to people, your abrasive/nice rating doesn't change?

EDIT:

As soon as I posted this, I checked relationships and I've finally made a friend. Jim Cornette is my friend now. After 1 1/2 months, I finally got a friend.

Making friends

Is it just me or is it harder (almost impossible) to make friends if you're starting a game using a wrestler from the scenario rather than doing your own (Rookie to Legend).

I'm three weeks into my career as Jushin "Thunder" Lyger (check the dynasties ;)) and I've already made 6 friends, only one as the result of a tryout. The key here is to take the time every show to talk to everyone backstage and butter them up. Some guys take a lot of time, others only need one "Have you been working out?" to become friendly.

On a side note, be careful how fast you click when you're talking to people! I accidentally made an enemy of Akira Maeda by bragging and now I'm doing my damnedest to repair the damage but it's not going so well.

Leaping Piledriver finish

My biggest problem is getting hit with a Leaping Piledriver (and then losing) after dominating most of the match.

I've got to agree on that point! The Leaping Piledriver has ended many a match and seems like everybody and their dog has got one in their arsenal. Maybe it ought to be toned down just a little?

I've got to agree on that point! The Leaping Piledriver has ended many a match and seems like everybody and their dog has got one in their arsenal. Maybe it ought to be toned down just a little?

Perhaps... but everyone and their dog did use a Piledriver as a Finisher back then - heh.

I'll tone it down a tad - but Piledrivers and Sleepers were the Big American Finishers for the majority of wrestlers from about the 50s to the mid 80s. I checked a ton of match results from the time period, and I can not tell you how many matches were won with those two moves.

I can not tell you how many matches were won with those two moves.

I suppose that's true and I checked the stats on the Leaping Piledriver after I posted and it's not as harsh as some of the others. So don't tone it down on my account.

I just have to realize that I'm playing as a rookie so I'll get dropped on my head more than most! :D

I'm three weeks into my career as Jushin "Thunder" Lyger (check the dynasties ;)) and I've already made 6 friends, only one as the result of a tryout. The key here is to take the time every show to talk to everyone backstage and butter them up. Some guys take a lot of time, others only need one "Have you been working out?" to become friendly.

On a side note, be careful how fast you click when you're talking to people! I accidentally made an enemy of Akira Maeda by bragging and now I'm doing my damnedest to repair the damage but it's not going so well.

I've been talkinging to everyone and taking the working out/look stunning route. It was just going MUCH slower for me in Superstar mode using DOTT. I'm still thinking it has to do with the "nice" level. In Rookie to Legend mode, you always start off as Very Nice. In my current game, Sting is just "nice". Sabu was "normal", IIRC.

Perhaps... but everyone and their dog did use a Piledriver as a Finisher back then - heh.

I'll tone it down a tad - but Piledrivers and Sleepers were the Big American Finishers for the majority of wrestlers from about the 50s to the mid 80s. I checked a ton of match results from the time period, and I can not tell you how many matches were won with those two moves.

It's not really the power of the move that concerns me, it's how easily the computer seems to land it. I'll be dominating the match for the most part and then the computer opponent will put together a decent little string of moves, nothing serious. Then he hits a Leaping Piledriver, I use my Spirit Points to help me kick out, then he hits it another 1 or 2 times with no other moves in between. I have a hard enough time hitting a finisher once, nevermind 2 or 3 times in a row without a setup.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely loving this scenario. It's boosted the fun factor of Wrestling Spirit through the roof for me.

Anyway i just checked the WWF's resoult's and found that Ted the wrestling bear just beat Bob Backlund for the WWF Title!

Typical Vince McMahon. The main event at Wrestlemania will likely be Ted the Wrestling Bear vs. The Gobbledygooker.

Hey, The Gobbledygooker needs to be added to this update, just so I can beat him mercilessly with Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody.

Typical Vince McMahon. The main event at Wrestlemania will likely be Ted the Wrestling Bear vs. The Gobbledygooker.

Hey, The Gobbledygooker needs to be added to this update, just so I can beat him mercilessly with Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody.

Didnt The Gobbledygooker debut in the earlie 90's?

Is there a reason it's so annoying and time consuming to install properly? Would it not make sense to just zip it all up together in the right folders to save me the hassle ;)

Still nice job and all...

Took me five minutes :p