The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Even though I don't really like the GTA games, I do like another game that Rockstar makes. It is called Bully. That game is funny, and it actually reminds me of when I was in High School. :p Also, I don't care how young or old somebody is, IMO they should like the original Mario games. They rock, and I will still be playing them 20 years from now! :cool:

Bully was pretty good yeah. God the fuss that was made over that game.

The only recollection I have of the C64 is Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O' Fun. I don't even remember if it was any good or not.

Ahhhh, you obviously played on one of the later C64's, the beige version. I had the same (I own three C64's, two beige and the earlier grey/brown version too) but it came with the "Hollywood" pack which had Miami Vice, Rambo II, Top Gun, The Great Escape... and some other game which currently escapes my memory.

Wipeout for Wii... Nuff said. :cool:

Wipeout 64 is still the best, in my opinion. (although I haven't played the Wii version)

What is Wipeout?

:eek:*falls off chair*

I laughed when they changed the name of Bully in the UK to Canis Canim Edit. :D It seemed to me that Bully might've gotten more controversy than the GTA games.

Manhunt, you don't get much more controversy than that game as it was taken off the shelves, still got my copy though. :cool:

The videogame industry is an odd one though. I remember when Barbarian was briefly removed from the shelves back in the 80's because of two things:

1. A provocatively dressed Maria Whittaker. Ahhhh, Maria...

2. There was a tiny blood spurt when you beheaded your opponent. :rolleyes:

Vice City, in my opinion, still has the best GTA soundtrack. Obviously all you young whipper snappers here wont appreciate it though because you didn't grow up in the 80's. :p

Well sadly I am not a whipper snapper, I was two when the 80's began and I remember pretty much everything after 1985.:D

I guess for me SA was the better soundtrack because that was the music of my teen years. All though Vice City had Phil Collins music in it so that makes it awsome as well.

Well sadly I am not a whipper snapper, I was two when the 80's began and I remember pretty much everything after 1985.:D

I was born in '82, but I was aware of the things going on from an early age. Plus when I used to work as a topographical surveyor in '99, the guy I worked with was a teenager in the 80's so for the five hour journey to and from the site each day we were often listening to 80's music. It actually surprised me just how much of it was familiar to me. Then again my musical taste has generally been a bit more 'old skool' than my advancing years would suggest. (Skip James anyone? :p)

All though Vice City had Phil Collins music in it so that makes it awsome as well.

*high five*

I was born in '82, but I was aware of the things going on from an early age. Plus when I used to work as a topographical surveyor in '99, the guy I worked with was a teenager in the 80's so for the five hour journey to and from the site each day we were often listening to 80's music. It actually surprised me just how much of it was familiar to me. Then again my musical taste has generally been a bit more 'old skool' than my advancing years would suggest. (Skip James anyone? :p)

*high five*

I'm pretty much the same way. Being born in 79 doesn't really mean you grew up with 80's music. By the time you really get into it it's the 90's. I have a half sister who is 9 years older than I am. So she grew up with 80's music and I learned from her. So for me I love the older music. I'm not into too much of todays music. I prefer music back when it was actually *music*. :D

And hearing the Ricky Gervais/Katt Williams stand-ups are an awesome way to pass the time.

There's 2 or 3 sets you can watch that I think it chooses randomly when you head to the comedy club. There's also the radio (of course), but I was really disappointed by the music this time around (do we really need TWO Reggae stations with one dedicated solely to Bob Marley and his kids?). The talk radio and commercials are great, but I only listen to the sort of boring classic rock station and the fairly obscure alt rock station for music. (Also, The Journey + Ice Cream Truck is hilarious.) San Andreas's music was totally perfect and Vice CIty was arguably better.

Also, the in-game TV is hilarious. The Men's Room with Bas Rutten? Win!

Also, UT, if you come to Pennsylvania, visit Scranton... Home of our version of The Office! :p It's a cruddy city for its size.

Anyways, check out League of Legends everybody. It's a legitimately free game and it is of retail quality. I can't stress how awesome it is. If you think "free game" and think something like "RuneScape" or anything like that, it's far beyond that. First and foremost, it's honestly free. The only things that you can't acquire without paying (you can pay for stuff if you want, but can just get it pretty easily by accruing in-game currency by playing) are champion skins and they're entirely superficial.

It's hard to describe. It's based on a Warcraft 3 mod called "Defense of the Ancients". You play as a "champion" on a team of 3 or 5 champs vs. another team of 3 or 5 and your goal is to destroy the other team's nexus. The path to the other team's nexus is split into 2 or 3 lanes lined with defensive turrets and as you fight towards the opponents' base, your own base produces minion units that automatically advance towards the other base until them meet a group of enemy minions/an enemy tower/an enemy champion/the other team's nexus.

What you get is a combination of an RTS, an RPG, and team-based 3rd person action game (with maybe a bit of tower defense).

It isn't browser based; it's an entirely stand-alone program with full-fledged production and support and constantly flowing new content.

It's inarguably the best free game I've ever played.

So... yea... Check it out! You have nothing to lose! :D

GTA4 was a good game that could have been great with a few changes. I dont regret buying and having played it or anything.

Plus it gave us Brucie.

And Imma not point fingers or make accusations...but that may have given us a certain version of Bam Bam Johansson.

Maybe. :p

Red Dead Redemption however is a better Rockstar/Free roam kinda game, if thats what you are in to.

Actually, Lost & the Damned expansion is better too. Motorcycles are cool, characters are generally better (minus no Brucie), storyline is more tightly written AND Styx is cool.

Oh. And when being chased by cops no one calls you to complain that you never go bowling with them any more and when can we go bowling and WAAAAAHHHHHHH

I'm not into too much of todays music. I prefer music back when it was actually *music*. :D

Couldn't agree more. :cool:

Also, UT, if you come to Pennsylvania, visit Scranton... Home of our version of The Office! :pIt's a cruddy city for its size.

You've really sold me on visiting there with that last line. I hope you don't work for the local tourism office. :D

GTA4 was a good game that could have been great with a few changes. I dont regret buying and having played it or anything.

Plus it gave us Brucie.

And Imma not point fingers or make accusations...but that may have given us a certain version of Bam Bam Johansson.

Maybe. :p

The original Bam Bam was created in 2006. Maybe he was the inspiration for Brucie, eh, eh? ;)

Oh. And when being chased by cops no one calls you to complain that you never go bowling with them any more and when can we go bowling and WAAAAAHHHHHHH

That is annoying. Even when you've completed the story mode they continue calling!

That is annoying. Even when you've completed the story mode they continue calling!

Isn't there some option whereby you can turn off your phone for everything but storyline-critical calls? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? :-p

I did enjoy The Ballad of Gay Tony as well, although I think they got a different guy doing Brucie's voice and the character was much more subdued. Still, some sweet cars/guns in that one :-p

The only recollection I have of the C64 is Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O' Fun. I don't even remember if it was any good or not.

Oy, the main recollection I have of C64 games was Airborne Ranger. OMGZ!

Of course, my main recollection of Amiga games was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. I was 14. :D

Ahhhh, you obviously played on one of the later C64's, the beige version. I had the same (I own three C64's, two beige and the earlier grey/brown version too) but it came with the "Hollywood" pack which had Miami Vice, Rambo II, Top Gun, The Great Escape... and some other game which currently escapes my memory.

Meh, then I have a ghetto beige one. I couldn't get the 64 when it first came out because I had JUST gotten a Vic20 and my mother was like, "You just GOT a computer!". And she wasn't buying the "But this isn't a real computer. The C64 is!" line. :)

I'm pretty much the same way. Being born in 79 doesn't really mean you grew up with 80's music. By the time you really get into it it's the 90's. I have a half sister who is 9 years older than I am. So she grew up with 80's music and I learned from her. So for me I love the older music. I'm not into too much of todays music. I prefer music back when it was actually *music*. :D

Um, when exactly was that? It hasn't been "actually music" since the Big Band era. So unless you're rockin' the Glenn Miller Band or Count Basie, you're supporting the same phenomenon you're criticizing. Auto-Tune is an advance of a technology that's been in use since the 30s. And if you listen to or like any music where a wah wah pedal is used, same deal.

I also disagree with your age assertion. I was born in 73 and grew up on 70s music, because it was in the house and all around me, all the time. That's generally what I think of when people say they grew up with a certain era of music. You don't have to KNOW or LIKE the music at that time but it still influences you because you see how the people around you (the folks you love/look up to) react to it. I remember my aunt Margaret would immediately jump up and start dancing when "Don't Leave Me This Way" came on. As a result, that song (and many others) made an indelible mark on me, musically. Now, the first song that I can recall really digging was 'Raising Hell' by Run DMC. I used to go to DJ & MC battles all around the city because I was really into that style at the time. That doesn't change the fact that my first positive memories of music derive from the late 60s and early to mid 70s.

I also disagree with your age assertion. I was born in 73 and grew up on 70s music, because it was in the house and all around me, all the time. That's generally what I think of when people say they grew up with a certain era of music. You don't have to KNOW or LIKE the music at that time but it still influences you because you see how the people around you (the folks you love/look up to) react to it. I remember my aunt Margaret would immediately jump up and start dancing when "Don't Leave Me This Way" came on. As a result, that song (and many others) made an indelible mark on me, musically. Now, the first song that I can recall really digging was 'Raising Hell' by Run DMC. I used to go to DJ & MC battles all around the city because I was really into that style at the time. That doesn't change the fact that my first positive memories of music derive from the late 60s and early to mid 70s.

What I meant was people say Oh you were born in blah blah so you grew up with whatever. That's not true. Just because you are born in 73 doesn't mean you "grew up" with the music unless you had someone who was around with that type of music.

My example. I was born in 79. I grew up with 80's music because my sister was older and listened to it. If not for that I would most likely have grown up in the 90's music. That's my whole point about the age thing.

What I meant was people say Oh you were born in blah blah so you grew up with whatever. That's not true. Just because you are born in 73 doesn't mean you "grew up" with the music unless you had someone who was around with that type of music.

My example. I was born in 79. I grew up with 80's music because my sister was older and listened to it. If not for that I would most likely have grown up in the 90's music. That's my whole point about the age thing.

Ah yeah, same deal. 79 is basically 80s, as far as I'm concerned. Disco had largely dissolved by then and had morphed into 'pop' again.

Isn't there some option whereby you can turn off your phone for everything but storyline-critical calls? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? :-p

If there is that option, I haven't found it yet... *waits for someone to point it out and make me feel stupid*

I did enjoy The Ballad of Gay Tony as well, although I think they got a different guy doing Brucie's voice and the character was much more subdued. Still, some sweet cars/guns in that one :-p

I keep meaning to get the expansions but something else always comes up.

Of course, my main recollection of Amiga games was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. I was 14. :D

Filth! :p

(although I was playing Viz: The Computer Game when I was 11 :D)

Meh, then I have a ghetto beige one. I couldn't get the 64 when it first came out because I had JUST gotten a Vic20 and my mother was like, "You just GOT a computer!". And she wasn't buying the "But this isn't a real computer. The C64 is!" line. :)

My cousin had the Vic20, and he was the same after he'd played on my C64. :p

I also disagree with your age assertion. I was born in 73 and grew up on 70s music, because it was in the house and all around me, all the time.

I agree with both of you. I had my father playing ELO, The Beatles, T-Rex, and my mother playing a lot of Elvis Presley. Then with my brother being six years older than me I was listening to the modern stuff at the same time.

And bringing music back on topic, the C64 had some of the best soundtracks ever thanks to the SID chip:

Last Ninja 2:

Thing on a Spring:

Monty on the Run:

Anyone have some good Dreamcast suggestions?

Currently I'm playing Spawn: In The Demon's Hands and Power Stone 2. I have Resident Evil Code Veronica and a Capcom fighter collection somewhere, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Oh, don't suggest Toy Commander. So many people have suggested that to me already and it's quite possibly one of the worst games I have ever played.

Anyone have some good Dreamcast suggestions?

Currently I'm playing Spawn: In The Demon's Hands and Power Stone 2. I have Resident Evil Code Veronica and a Capcom fighter collection somewhere, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Oh, don't suggest Toy Commander. So many people have suggested that to me already and it's quite possibly one of the worst games I have ever played.

Virtua Tennis was a game I loved on Dreamcast. MDK2 is as well; very funny game; from Bioware no less.

Let's see, Powerstone, Grandia 2, Jet Grind Radio......I remember the DC being very good for fighting games. Marvel v Capcom 2 was awesome on the system.

Partially thanks to the fact I can't play Civ5 until it gets released in a couple months (totally getting the Steam special edition for the Babylonians!)...

I've returned to playing copious amounts of Civ4, which is still a truly tremendous game. Heck, thanks to a super-massive marked-down price I managed to get Civ4: Colonization as well.

I have to say, very few games can satisfy my desire to run an empire. I'll admit, there's some games of it where I'm just happy to sit back and enjoy being part of the world (though not to the extent of, say, the similarly named Galactic Civilizations games).

Colonization provides a whole new challenge to Civ4 (which the base game+expansions typically turns into "Lulz, I can build tons of troops and brute strength death stack attack everyone else!"). There's something incredibly satisfying about being a Russian colony (totally downloaded a mod!) and rebelling against the Motherland. Oh, and deciding you've had enough of those pesky Apaches demanding oodles of gold to establish settlements in their land and deciding you'd rather pay them in liquid hot death. That's right, suck it Apaches. Tzar era Russian colonists with muskets > you.

Oh, and Montezuma is a dick.

On the Pokemon Diamond or Pearl or Platinum games, has anybody here ever gotten all 493 Pokemon on their Pokedex? That game is awesome, and that's going to be the first video game my baby son is going to play when he gets older (my other sons first game was also a Pokemon game). Anyways, it seems impossible to get all 493 Pokemon!

On the Pokemon Diamond or Pearl or Platinum games, has anybody here ever gotten all 493 Pokemon on their Pokedex? That game is awesome, and that's going to be the first video game my baby son is going to play when he gets older (my other sons first game was also a Pokemon game). Anyways, it seems impossible to get all 493 Pokemon!

I've gotten them all in Diamond. I even got the 3 Event pokemon that you needed the items for.