Cornellverse Changes

That's been my pet peeve about the Cornellverse for a while now, and one reason I like the Thunderverse more. Women in the T-Verse have more, and more high-profile, places to wrestle than do women in the C-Verse. But I suppose I can fix that myself.

I would agree and that's why I always bring the BSC girls back (well, at least the decent to good ones). BSC stable with Britney, the Neptunes, and Amy Galaxy with Dharma and Beth Mercy as their managers (and Roxy as the turncoat/traitor) gives me a midcard storyline I can milk for a couple years ingame.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is that if they can't win a national battle in the game, how did they even get to the spot they are in?

Because a human player was running them and left. The AI, though upgraded, is still a moron when it comes to the nuts and bolts of booking. There's no minimizing the fact that USPW underperforms under AI control. Look at their shows in some of your saves. You'll scratch your head bald and bleeding with some of the stuff they do. They lose the national battle because the AI isn't specifically focused on winning it.

Mechanically... USPW got a lot of momentum through the workers they have been signing, which probably has waned a bit since debut. That means they had a lot of bonuses at one point that the other companies did not have and so USPW would be getting higher ratings. At the moment the playing field is very level and sometimes USPW fall but I've seen all of the big 3 lose battles and fall to cult at various points.

There is also now a game mechanic where shows above 80 will never lose you popularity so as long as everyone is hitting that range the only reason for companies to lose popularity is major battles, while they will gain far more often than not. ALSO, companies on Huge/Enormous networks can gain popularity purely by being so visible (up to a point)... which is the point of Reverie in the first place. USPW got a huge boost from that and money so they rose to the top despite some weaknesses. But everyone has a weakness. :)

I've actually seen SWF fall more often than USPW ever have, but it does depend on destiny rolls in each game... sometimes the veterans near the top can hurt a company with a bad roll and that's a situation that can hurt each of the major companies randomly each game. Fun randomness. :D

Ok, I haven't considered point one, so point taken. But what's wrong with pushing Gakusha over Hyobanashi? [this game uses Western order of surname last, yes?] They are similar in star power and basics, and Gakusha is a more well-rounded wrestler in-ring, is there something I am missing?

Gakusha and Hyobanashi are the proteges respectively of Yoshifusa Maeda and Kazu Yoshikawa, owner and head booker of BCG. Furusawa could have thought this: you split from us, so we push your protege to the moon!

From an in ring perspective Gakusha is what GCG is and has been forever: good complete wrestler, able to brawl, mat wrestle, with good to great psychology. Hyobanashi, like its written in his bio, is similar to Kikkawa, the man who embodied BHOTWG for two decades, excluding the INSPIRE adventure. Given the hostility between BHOTWG and GCG it was a must choice. With Kudo in charge we could see a different man in the future.

So wait. It was okay when SWF was 'easy to play' with all the advantages but now it's not because it's USPW? I just don't get your complaint.

USPW has an opportunity to continue growing and truly be the #1 promotion. An opportunity. It's not a guarantee. Even when Reverie expands, they still have to put on good shows. I've done three demo saves so far and in EVERY SINGLE ONE, USPW falls to Cult February 1. So now USPW is "easy mode" like SWF has been for like a decade's worth of TEWs? The SWF that cherrypicked the carcass of DaVE and took their best talent. The SWF that wasted Angry Gilmore until they didn't have a choice but to push him (who else was there? Eric?). Call it karmic backlash. They had this coming.

My comparison wasn't with the past TEWs and my major remark it's not about AI plays, but how USPW is setup for human players.

You get the N°1 promotion, with the most favorable product between the three, a 100% backstage rating, 50 $ millions in your pockets, owned linked to the biggest subscription network that will automatically expand worldwide in 4 years, locked for 4 years contract for TV shows and 5 year for events. Once you understand how it works and weather the storm of booking the first months, it becomes an easy road.

My comparison wasn't with the past TEWs and my major remark it's not about AI plays, but how USPW is setup for human players.

You get the N°1 promotion, with the most favorable product between the three, a 100% backstage rating, 50 $ millions in your pockets, owned linked to the biggest subscription network that will automatically expand worldwide in 4 years, locked for 4 years contract for TV shows and 5 year for events. Once you understand how it works and weather the storm of booking the first months, it becomes an easy road.

Agree to disagree, I guess. You say it's an easy road after the first few months. I say there are many (many, many, many) people who wouldn't even make it that far. I don't even think the first few months are that difficult. With every game, the challenges shift. Some are obvious but some are more subtle. Within the loose narrative and given what has happened in previous games, it makes sense to me that USPW would potentially be Candyland this time around.

In short, I don't think it's as much of a faceroll as you're portraying. At least not for the average player. But again, agree to disagree. :)

Agree to disagree, I guess. You say it's an easy road after the first few months. I say there are many (many, many, many) people who wouldn't even make it that far. I don't even think the first few months are that difficult. With every game, the challenges shift. Some are obvious but some are more subtle. Within the loose narrative and given what has happened in previous games, it makes sense to me that USPW would potentially be Candyland this time around.

In short, I don't think it's as much of a faceroll as you're portraying. At least not for the average player. But again, agree to disagree. :)

Fair enough. This round drinks on me. :)

<p>I think of it like this.</p><p> </p><p>

What if Jeff Bezos bought TNA and made it available only on Amazon Prime? You now have a major financial investment and a distribution channel that even the WWE Network can't match. TNA doesn't have anybody on the Nicky Champion level. But, let's say they brought in CM Punk and Randy Orton jumped ship and they still have a couple of other guys who can work good matches and people know (Hardy Boyz). </p><p> </p><p>

Could you see them passing WWE in terms of importance? </p><p> </p><p>

I could.</p>

As a future SWF playthrough, how would you guys go with it? I feel like Angry Gilmore would be a SCSA type of figurehead (having 2-3 super years to help sway SWF over USPW, especially since SWF lost 4 main eventers, essentially 5 if you count Vengeance, who isn't that great of an in-ring worker anyways. Valiant, Des and Atomic are basically in the same place they were before, and SWF's "new" main eventers James and Rogue are both hitting 40 in a year. SWF has a good younger lower card but they're much smaller and most lack a significant main event quality (Lau is missing size and mic skills, Hernandez is lacking in size and Kentucky Bill is too old).

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Poet Justice" data-cite="Poet Justice" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As a future SWF playthrough, how would you guys go with it? I feel like Angry Gilmore would be a SCSA type of figurehead (having 2-3 super years to help sway SWF over USPW, especially since SWF lost 4 main eventers, essentially 5 if you count Vengeance, who isn't that great of an in-ring worker anyways. Valiant, Des and Atomic are basically in the same place they were before, and SWF's "new" main eventers James and Rogue are both hitting 40 in a year. SWF has a good younger lower card but they're much smaller and most lack a significant main event quality (Lau is missing size and mic skills, Hernandez is lacking in size and Kentucky Bill is too old).</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> My heart is telling me to make Hernandez a serious project, though I'm thinking as far as the MAW alumni go Bret Starr might stand a better chance of main eventing.</p>

<p>Noting some particularly interesting changes to products for a few promotions...</p><p> </p><p>

...it appears EWA is becoming a tad more violent. Hardcore is now up to Medium, which means the fans are no longer going to accept low risk matches. (And thus, it appears, my love affair with EWA is going to come to an end because I hate running promotions that require high risk matches.)</p><p> </p><p>

Meanwhile, over Puerto Rico, FCW has increased its Modern to Medium, which means it is now a perf>pop promotion, instead of the perf=pop product of the past few editions. That should make pushing Mutant and Hell's Bouncer a lot harder.</p><p> </p><p>

Also noting that while there has been no change to the MAW or ACPW product definitions that I can see, their products no longer requires clean finishes. (But interestingly, NOTBPW's product still does.) I presume this must mean that Low Mainstream will now free you up for some of the more creative finishes.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Luchador Canadiense" data-cite="Luchador Canadiense" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Also noting that while there has been no change to the MAW or ACPW product definitions that I can see, their products no longer requires clean finishes.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I like that.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="smwilliams" data-cite="smwilliams" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think of it like this.<p> </p><p> What if Jeff Bezos bought TNA and made it available only on Amazon Prime? You now have a major financial investment and a distribution channel that even the WWE Network can't match. TNA doesn't have anybody on the Nicky Champion level. But, let's say they brought in CM Punk and Randy Orton jumped ship and they still have a couple of other guys who can work good matches and people know (Hardy Boyz). </p><p> </p><p> Could you see them passing WWE in terms of importance? </p><p> </p><p> I could.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If you mean TNA at the beginning of 2010, I agree.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MarkyGeorge" data-cite="MarkyGeorge" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>My heart is telling me to make Hernandez a serious project, though I'm thinking as far as the MAW alumni go Bret Starr might stand a better chance of main eventing.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Starr because of nepotism. If he can bulk up, he can definitely be a Randy Orton level wrestler</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Poet Justice" data-cite="Poet Justice" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As a future SWF playthrough, how would you guys go with it? I feel like Angry Gilmore would be a SCSA type of figurehead (having 2-3 super years to help sway SWF over USPW, especially since SWF lost 4 main eventers, essentially 5 if you count Vengeance, who isn't that great of an in-ring worker anyways. Valiant, Des and Atomic are basically in the same place they were before, and SWF's "new" main eventers James and Rogue are both hitting 40 in a year. SWF has a good younger lower card but they're much smaller and most lack a significant main event quality (Lau is missing size and mic skills, Hernandez is lacking in size and Kentucky Bill is too old).</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's going to be a challenge certainly. They don't have the coin to make any huge signings off the bat and everyone's psych is lower than I expected, but it can be done. </p><p> </p><p> Valiant is right on the edge of main event level. Have him win his feud against Brandon James (who constantly disappoints me) and he is there. His skills arent where I hoped they would be, but a long feud with or against Gilmore should help. He is who I am grooming to be the next figurehead and he might be who takes the belt off Remo in my game. I love Gilmore to death but I just don't think he has the star power to carry the company. Captain Atomic is likely inheriting Lobby's place in the upper midcard, and I plan to do what I can with Des, but I don't know if he has what it takes to main event. </p><p> </p><p> Vengeance is still giving me great ratings. I have him in a feud with Eric that is getting great angle ratings on Supreme TV and his match with McClean was my best of the first PPV. One angle I am building towards is putting Ana Garcia back in the booth and putting Chase back with Rogue. Rogue alone is definitely missing some pieces to be a main eventer, but Rogue/Chase has always been amazing for me. </p><p> </p><p> As for who to push, Valiant and Joey Morgan are definitely hitting main event level before 2017. Starr will get there eventually. Hernandez depends entirely on his roll like a few others on the roster. I have gotten John Greed to 90+ overness in past games, we will see how he does in this. Biggins, Everest, Trescarde, and Kentucky Bill are not getting re-signed unless they wow me because I try not to use anyone without at least star power or charisma boosts in the dirt sheets. And you forgot the SWF's brightest prospect who you would be a fool not to push ASAP: Spencer Spade.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mjdgoldeneye" data-cite="mjdgoldeneye" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm legitimately depressed about CGC. TEW finally "clicked" for me in 2013 when I was running them and hearing they lost Shaffer, Chandler, Deeley, Alex (as an in ring competitor), and Nate Johnson, at least... Man...</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> CGC was my first big game in 2005. I took them out longer game time then any other promotion. It was amazing</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Alucidus" data-cite="Alucidus" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't know much about the CVerse.<p> But I'm eagerly awaiting the culmination of 'Operation Lullaby' and the dissolution of SWF.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm more than a little curious to see if 1. Operation Lullaby ever comes to fruition (In this game or future iterations) and 2. If SWF is indeed the company to suffer. USPW sure have big pockets and Reverie seem a little too good to be true.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="thecoolestjedi12" data-cite="thecoolestjedi12" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41226" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>*Sees how awesome PGHW looks and that Seiji didn't inherit, leaves*</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Reason why Eisaku Hoshino will work only with BHOTWG.</p>

One of the features I like most is the change to how National Battles work, and how that relates to determining the top of your card.

All of a sudden having Gilmore as your top guy for SWF doesn't seem so great, because even though he'll have great matches the most he can ever contribute to the National Battle is a score of 820 (100 pop x 82 SQ), which is at least a hundred behind what people like Bruce, Bach, Golden and Remo can bring. Not to mention that his popularity loss is going to be much bigger than theirs if he isn't protected from losses and the like.

SWF's in an interesting spot where they need a new figuredhead because of Bruce's age and only Valiant really has the skills to do a passable job at it of the current crop (and he isn't great either). It means you either need to rocket Spencer Spade up the card or settle for a figurehead with SQ in the high 80s rather than the 90-100 range.

I'm still not quite sure how popularity gain/loss works in conjunction with show ratings, but I love how much this change has made me think about my roster make-up.

These changes...wow! Imagine if the cornellverse was real life. There has never been a TEW game that came close to having this many shocking changes.

I disagree. DaVE's death reverberated throughout the entire world.

If you mean TNA at the beginning of 2010, I agree.

I don't know. I'd like to agree with you but I've seen what's happened to the Washington Post since Bezos bought it. He's turned it completely around. Cross promoting it across his platforms (whenever you buy an Amazon media product - Kindle, Fire, Echo, Dot, that crappy phone, etc - you get a free month of Washington Post online) and attracting some really hungry editorial talent has worked wonders. Part of the reason Gannett is trying to swallow Tribune is to gird themselves against another possible move by Bezos.

I believe there is enough talent available outside of WWE to do it, with enough financial backing, the right creative mind (Heyman, for example), and the right media deal. Another possibility would be Reed Hastings (Netflix). But Bezos has more cross-promotional opportunities. Not to mention the fact that Amazon Prime now has a monthly option ($10.99) which would offer a ridiculously better value than WWE Network.

Never underestimate the power of billions of dollars in backing and no real need to worry about "ratings" (because they're all in-house). Besides the award nominations, how do we really know that BOSCH or The Man in the High Castle are actually successful? WWE's "decline" is documented by Nielson Media Research. Orange is the New Black or Daredevil could've lost half their audience and we'd never know it. That's powerful because it involves shaping perception. And in the social media age, perception is pretty much reality.

Archived